• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Villains That Saved the Day [2017-05-20]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quoque tu

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:03 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
For what it's worth he didn't really help defeat Kars himself, he did however cause Kars to Awaken into his Ultimate form though.....and saved Joseph from breaking his legs at the expense of his own.

He also pinned Kars to the plane by shooting his hand. Kars would have gotten away and Joseph would have fallen inside the volcano since he had no parachute.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:34 am Reply with quote
Quoque tu wrote:
He also pinned Kars to the plane by shooting his hand. Kars would have gotten away and Joseph would have fallen inside the volcano since he had no parachute.

To be fair all of this would've been avoided had he not tried to finish him/Araki needing Stroheim to be the spanner in the works for the third time.

SillyPerson wrote:
Scar and Dr. Marcoh from both Fullmetal Alchemist series,

Scar is more of anti-hero than an out and about Villain on the other hand Marcoh is kind of shaky.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:58 am Reply with quote
Nephrite is a prime example of filer done right. I doubt the Sailor Moon anime would be remembered as fondly if it had just followed the manga. Instead if expanded immensly on it even though it was basically just monster-of-the-week for 90% of the episodes. Still, there was great care put into it. Hell, some of my favorite episodes in Sailor Moon are filler.

WE DON'T TALK ABOUT SUPERS THOUGH! That was garbage.
Barciad

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:17 am Reply with quote
'Now and then, Here and there' - The greatest anime that you'll only want to see once.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:03 am Reply with quote
If we apply the definition of villain to include antagonist (despite there being a slight difference), then the "Naruto" had 3 notable characters: spoiler[Nagato activating Rinne Tinsei followed by Edo Itachi releasing Edo Tensei then Obito atoning for some of his sins.][/spoiler]
Quoque tu

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:09 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
To be fair all of this would've been avoided had he not tried to finish him/Araki needing Stroheim to be the spanner in the works for the third time.

Yeah, what I'm trying to say is that unlike other villains he tried to clean up his own mess (and he did, kinda).
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:34 am Reply with quote
Shocked Vegeta? The dude is the most angsty and antisocial from the series. He also has a tendency to mess up everytime the good guys are winning like when Cell wanted to absorb 18
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:35 am Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
I don't know why this site only likes concentrating on a character's anime counterpart, when half the time they aren't like their manga counterpart at all.

I would think the name of the site would be a clue why.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:31 am Reply with quote
Barciad wrote:
'Now and then, Here and there' - The greatest anime that you'll only want to see once.

That is pretty accurate, at least in my case. I borrowed the DVDs from a club member, and while I thought it was good, it was one of the few times where I knew I would not revisit a series. When it found its way to the SciFi channel, I didn't bother to watch it again.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
After taking a peak at the Sailor Moon wikia, my suspicions about Nephrite's bit being based on filler nonsense were confirmed. I don't know why it's included in this list then, since the Nephrite in the manga is evil and isn't an anti-villain at all. I don't know why this site only likes concentrating on a character's anime counterpart, when half the time they aren't like their manga counterpart at all.

Because the original 90s anime is vastly superior to the manga because of the so-called "filler nonsense" and is the version that most people remember?

exactly. his 90's anime version is a hell of a lot better than the manga version and is one that everyone who was new to anime remembered very well. this was one of the occasions where naoko should have made him the same as his anime counterpart when kodanasha did the reboot for the manga.

though lunatic is another story. his personality reminds me TOO MUCH of light yagami,which is why he shouldnt be on the list. and speaking of which , i am surprised that mello wasnt on this list he decided to become a villain unlike near in order to bring down kira which says a lot on the whole term "to become evil order to eliminate a bigger evil".

but the bigger surprise is that neither von stronheim nor vegetta let alone piccolo are even on this list and they definitely should be. especially when it comes to making the case for those two, cause both of them were big time villains in the DB universe before being changed when they developed affections for someone else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
peno

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:41 am Reply with quote
Misty being second on the waifu poll is a personal shock for me. I understand a lot of people grew with the original Pokémon, but come on, the girl is even more cruel than Bulma ever was in the original Dragon Ball or Sakura was in Naruto. How can someone, who is not masochist, could even think of her as waifu material? Are people happy to be punished forever?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:09 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Shocked Vegeta? The dude is the most angsty and antisocial from the series. He also has a tendency to mess up everytime the good guys are winning like when Cell wanted to absorb 18

Vegeta was essentially the precursor to Sasuke with the angst and antisocial personality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2