• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: GATE BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyren

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quote
People are arguing about politics, meanwhile I'm over here upset that the changed the dialogue. I liked that it wasn't sugarcoated in the slightest, and then the English went and toned everything down.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:53 am Reply with quote
Putting the Nationalism aside...
I for the most part agree with this review... I think my only gripe is the price of this boxset? I got the standard edition.. as nothing in this box is worth 2x the price.

I'd like to see more of the story adapted.. but that is a long shot.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:38 am Reply with quote
Even putting aside the political controversies of the show, I just didn't care for Gate any at all, and I say this as someone who typically enjoys a lot of light novel fantasy anime. I just didn't find any of the main characters to be engaging, the plot didn't interest me any, and I didn't really care for the animation either. I just think there are a lot of other light novel fantasy anime that are lot more exciting and entertaining to me like ReZero and SukaSuka.
silentjay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
You want some classic Jingoism? I just finished watching Shin Godzilla. An actual worldwide threat and the two countries are actually playing a game of "my bomb is bigger than your bomb" and that's on top of the scapegoating...

Yes, Shin Godzilla is also right-wing in a Japanese context.

It's also satire, to the point of crossing over into dark comedy, which seems to be lost on a lot of viewers. The movie is pretty biting in its indictment of both Japan's domestic and foreign policy.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
silentjay wrote:
John Thacker wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
You want some classic Jingoism? I just finished watching Shin Godzilla. An actual worldwide threat and the two countries are actually playing a game of "my bomb is bigger than your bomb" and that's on top of the scapegoating...

Yes, Shin Godzilla is also right-wing in a Japanese context.

It's also satire, to the point of crossing over into dark comedy, which seems to be lost on a lot of viewers. The movie is pretty biting in its indictment of both Japan's domestic and foreign policy.

To the detriment of the film unfortunately. I understood what they tried to do up to a point in Shin Godzilla but once the government started to wonder if it was appropriate to use the JSDF against a non military target... after 60 years of kaiju movies that never bothered to ask the question because a national threat is a national threat, whether it's armed or not.... I realized the film was trying to say something that was never said because it didn't have to be. "Government is its own worst enemy, in times of truly impossible crisis." But that doesn't make it satire, it just makes it kind of silly. Especially once the threat gets... strange.

This could have worked if it was the second kaiju movie ever made but we the audience know its a kaiju movie and what they're about. It's easy to make fun of Godzilla films where the source of every problem is a monster... "Of course the satellite was taken out by a monster, what else could do it?"... but it's even easier to make fun of a movie that tries to be genre blind while at the same time using the "Godzilla" name to sell itself. And then basing the "Gojira" name off the "Godzilla" one in the movie, wow, it's almost like they're trying to take back the character from the Americans... Oh.

Are they being petty? Only if they made Funimation title their release the true Godzilla rather than Godzilla Resurgence. Yeah, they did do that, didn't they? Of course, that's just one possible translation. It could also be the True God Godzilla.

Pulling this back towards GATE... GATE's a better Godzilla movie. The size, the scale, the personal death and as impersonal destruction, the music as well as surprising feelings of remorse for the monster at the end, especially the aftermath. One of my favorite parts of Gate were the Ifukube like musical cues for the flame dragon while my favorite part of Shin Godzilla was when they lifted Ifukube's "Terror of Godzilla" track from the Japanese version of King Kong versus Godzilla, a movie that's still unreleased in the US. But only one I respect, the other makes me want to pay the 50 dollars to import the Japanese BD.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
I don't think it's a case of the nationalistic right-wing elements being "read into" it, there's no avoiding it, nor is it a case of it being "not a specialty of" the source novelist either, as it's clearly the ideas that he wants to convey and while somewhat heavy handed at times, no worse than on the nose portrayals of other ideas in other works (often praised along with their authors for addressing issues.)

I characterize it merely as an opinion that I, as well as most non-Japanese viewers, disagree with. (I'd also say that it goes too far for most Japanese viewers, but only a subset of them have the same visceral negative reaction seen by more outsiders.) Some viewers may indeed find themselves incapable of appreciating a work expressing a contrary idea. I didn't have a problem with it even as I often disagreed strongly with the author's viewpoint. (I'm also not as left-wing as Concrete Revolutio, but I enjoyed that a lot as well partly for its firm statements.) However, I can certainly see that people who see particular danger in the viewpoints espoused might rate the show poorly for that reason and recommend against watching it.

I was less of a fan of the second season, which bogged down into too much harem like elements for me.

well they did that specifically cause of the political BS that is in the first season. personally its why i stuck with the series.

also the script chance shouldnt be a negative. just because the remove some script references to eva doesnt me it necessarily hurt the performance. its also possible that they were requested to make the changes on that front.

as for pina's line, that change was absolutely necessary. there are some dub watchers who rarely if ever watch the sub version and the original script line might have turned off some viewers. so while its not glaring ala gunslinger girl, its definitely not a big deal or its a negative.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CCTakato

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:12 am Reply with quote
Even though I'm not a fan of the show, I have to give Sentai credit for putting out a really nice high quality boxset. From what I've seen on YouTube unboxing videos, they really seem to have pulled out all the stops for this show, so it's fans should be really pleased with this set. It's too bad I'm not a fan because the set alone just looks very impressive.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the episodes that I saw, so I think the review grade is ok since I get the show and understand its appeal, though I probably would have given it something more between a B and B-. I said I enjoyed the episodes I saw because at some point I stopped watching, not because I disliked the show but because it didn't feel like there was anything more to get out of it at some point. I felt like once the story shifted more toward the politics of the fantasy world and Japanese politics, it stared to lose steam. I probably was only really watching the show for the fantasy advenature aspect, and eventually I think the writer ran out of ideas on that front.

Also, I think my view on Rory is a bit different than most. This is one of the few otaku targeted shows where I think the otaku main character was the best character in the show. He was well developed as otaku MCs go and was portrayed as being smart, tactical, and caring. I liked him. I also kind of liked the mage girl. She was cute and I liked how she became an interpreter. It gave her a level of usefulness that characters like her often don't get.

Rory was entertaining for a little bit, but she became pretty one note - the wild, dark lusty girl who loves battle and death. Most of her interactions seemed to flow from that persona. She is a crowd pleaser type of character, whose primary purpose is to show up, kick some ass, look hot in the process, and throw out some salacious one liners to tease the audience before she steps off stage. After that routine got to the point of being too repetitive, I basically lost all interest in her as a character.

I might eventually finish GATE as I think it is a worthwhile show, but it's not much more than a one time view and forget type of show for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2