• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross Delta Gets Theatrical Anime Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bumbayker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:00 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Bought every JP BD release of Frontier and several of the CDs. Didn't spend a dime on Delta. By any metric Delta did far more poorly than Frontier, reviews, sales of BDs, sales of music, etc. It just wasn't very good, and its relative lack of success probably wasn't very good for the franchise.

It doesn't matter if you didn't like Delta because it was still a huge hit and popular in Japan and still has high regard internationally. The skeptics and haters like you don't really understand its appeal (and quite frankly don't matter) to brand it as a horrible series. Not to say that Delta doesn't have flaws but Frontier has its own especially with the TV series.

And you seriously exaggerate regarding the reviews, BD and music sales. It did pretty well and beat Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress in sales which many Western fans predict was the top seller of Summer 2016. You obviously weren't paying attention and making it up out sheer bias. It may not have sold as well as Frontier. But then, only a few anime series today can match those kind of numbers back in 2008. Even Gundam is not doing as well as it normally does with their new titles and recall on Build Fighters and UC especially OYW material to make a good profit. Not to mention Frontier was pretty much the revival of the Macross franchise after 15 year tv series drought and poorly sold Macross Zero.

In addition, Japan's economy and its anime industry was quite different back almost a decade ago as spending for anime BDs and merchandise was much more affordable. You clearly did not take that to consideration nor comprehend it.

{Edit}: Do not insult users with comments like the one I removed. ~ Psycho 101
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote
bumbayker wrote:

It doesn't matter if you didn't like Delta because it was still a huge hit and popular in Japan and still has high regard internationally. The skeptics and haters like you don't really understand its appeal (and quite frankly don't matter) to brand it as a horrible series. Not to say that Delta doesn't have flaws but Frontier has its own especially with the TV series.

Delta isn't horrible, but it's very forgettable. Not to mention the CG manages the be less impressive than Frontier's despite being a decade newer. And I don't think much of its music is very memorable. It's not like I went into it wanting to dislike it - I look forward to new Macross series, but I really was disappointed by it. Apparently for you that's an unacceptable reaction that isn't valid and brands one a "skeptic" or "hater."

Quote:

And you seriously exaggerate regarding the reviews, BD and music sales. It did pretty well and beat Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress in sales which many Western fans predict was the top seller of Summer 2016. You obviously weren't paying attention and making it up out sheer bias. It may not have sold as well as Frontier. But then, only a few anime series today can match those kind of numbers back in 2008. Even Gundam is not doing as well as it normally does with their new titles and recall on Build Fighters and UC especially OYW material to make a good profit. Not to mention Frontier was pretty much the revival of the Macross franchise after 15 year tv series drought and poorly sold Macross Zero.

You bring up much which has little to do with the argument at hand. Delta sold less than a quarter of what Frontier did. Its music sold far less. At least a dozen other shows outsold it per volume last year. Those are concrete things that can be pointed to, not bringing up unrelated shows and random insults.

Quote:

In addition, Japan's economy and its anime industry was quite different back almost a decade ago as spending for anime BDs and merchandise was much more affordable. You clearly did not take that to consideration nor comprehend it.

Japan's economy has been stagnant for two decades. That's a problem, but things were no more affordable a decade ago. Prices for BDs and merchandise are almost unchanged from that time as well.
SuiSeiKen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:45 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Delta sold less than a quarter of what Frontier did.

Attack On Titan season 2 Blu-ray sales drop from a season 1 average of 35.000 to 6.500. And I'm pretty sure the ugly Colossal 3D Titan we saw 30 seconds and the box set release aren't enough to explain this.

So yeah, you have to consider both Macross Frontier and Attack On Titan season 1 as abnormal massive success that were impossible to replicate from the beginning. They were released at the right time with highly receptive thematics. That's just how the audiovisual works, with his success and failure.

There's a lot to say about Macross Delta's production and writing, but sorry for the people that misunderstand Macross orientation since Do You Remember Love ? (yeah, Macross Plus was great, but a UFO in the licence because of its director Shin'ichirô Watanabe), it's still a hit. Maybe a minor hit, but just like bumbayker said, "a popular hit in Japan" with "high regard internationally". Blu-ray sales average at 9.000, when three-quarters of TV anime shows don't exceed 5.000.

And of course, successful enough to bring a new series and a movie.
Hobbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:00 am Reply with quote
I think what is highly regarded internationally are the IRL Walkures and their music, not the show.
I'm not a J-Pop fan but IMHO it was the only decent thing that came out of Delta.
That kid Junna has an incredible voice. Too bad it was given to one of the worst character.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:47 am Reply with quote
I suggest you 2 hissatsu01 & bumbayker watch it. You're both being overly rude towards each other and I removed rude comments from both of your posts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2