• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Premieres Glitter Force Doki Doki Anime Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ember Jean

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Who even finds the sources for the English voice actors anyway even though they're not actually credited at all? Especially Regina! No one knows who voiced her at all... http://prntscr.com/gaai8n
Sango chan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't watch this series, but even I'm really annoyed at the Americanizing that Saban did to this show. Why couldn't a real american anime licenser pick this show up so that it can be shown in it original uncut, unamericanized form. I have a feeling where this crap is going and that's down the horrid drain for the real fans.

I can understand the pain of this happening. I grew up in the 90's after all. DIC and 4Kids destroying the anime I really liked. Need I say more......lol.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
sailorsweeper wrote:
I can hope for now is Toei learned their lesson and don't do another Precure series as Glitter force

Except this dub was Saban's doing before the trademark change.

We'll probably find out in 2 years what Toei will do if they get to dubbing the dreck that is Happiness Charge Precure. If it's anything like their dub of the first Pretty Cure series then it should be good, perhaps better than HaCha deserves.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
For those that are looking forward to this Americanized version of Doki Doki, I wish them a happy viewing. As for myself, I'm sitting out on it. Arrow
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:34 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
I'm wondering why they'd rename a character who already has an English name.
Happens all the time in dubs, some theorize companies are paid by the change.

-Stuart Smith

Yeah, but what's really bizarre about this is: Regina's name wasn't changed, Doki Doki wasn't changed, Mana/Maya's last name is still Aida, most of the villains kept their names (when they were all changed in the original Glitter Force)... I actually enjoy this dub and its good-natured silliness, but the whole Clara/Alice thing is admittedly driving me mad Laughing
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I watched episode 1 just to see how badly it got butchered, and it was AWFUL. Why the HELL are they using Glitter Charm/Glitter Force Makeover and making it seem like the continuities of Smile and Doki Doki Precure are connected?!
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I watched episode 1 just to see how badly it got butchered, and it was AWFUL. Why the HELL are they using Glitter Charm/Glitter Force Makeover and making it seem like the continuities of Smile and Doki Doki Precure are connected?!

Lazy writing? Saban does the same with Power Rangers by making everything "It's morphin time" while in Sentai it's called something different every series.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

Lazy writing? Saban does the same with Power Rangers by making everything "It's morphin time" while in Sentai it's called something different every series.

Well that's not ENTIRELY true about PR. MMPR-Zeo had "it's morphing time", but after that each season got a different morphing call until Saban got the rights back with Samurai, then for some reason Saban wanted all the seasons since then to have "it's morphing time".
Kai Broughton

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:06 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
sailorsweeper wrote:
I can hope for now is Toei learned their lesson and don't do another Precure series as Glitter force

Except this dub was Saban's doing before the trademark change.

We'll probably find out in 2 years what Toei will do if they get to dubbing the dreck that is Happiness Charge Precure. If it's anything like their dub of the first Pretty Cure series then it should be good, perhaps better than HaCha deserves.

Thing after Toei got the show in there hands the filed tread marks with glitter force for merchindises. AS it glitter force has worked for them. Due to precure as name and show failed due to Toei tried for year at license expo to bring it over. If it was not them teaming up with saban we would still not have show over here and it still be a dead franchise in the West. So say what you want glitter force and precure are both mainly aimed and young kids. So people on hear wining about saban ruining it means it not for them. Toei sticking to the name as it woke for them the people who giving low rating on Netflix are adult fans that not excepting it being aimed for them. I grew up with the 90 anime censorship but saban and Toei cutting 6 episode out are the filler episode. But so far I been enjoying this dub as I know target audience. My 7 year old niece loved glitter force and she will love doki doki due to she what the show aimed for not adults
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Although many of the changes are questionable, I think there's one most of us can agree on the name change of the Kingdom, after all the name Trump Kingdom wouldn't exactly fly nowadays.

Though I can't help but to wonder if some people are using make (Insert thing related to this anime) Great Again. The joke would be pretty obvious when it comes to changes with this anime.
QuarkboySam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
Although many of the changes are questionable, I think there's one most of us can agree on the name change of the Kingdom, after all the name Trump Kingdom wouldn't exactly fly nowadays.

Though I can't help but to wonder if some people are using make (Insert thing related to this anime) Great Again. The joke would be pretty obvious when it comes to changes with this anime.

I wouldn't even consider that an actual name change, it's more just correct localization as "Trump" has a pretty different connotation in Japanese than in english. In Japanese it ALWAYS refers to playing cards... (western ones, to be precise).
"Trump" as also a generic name used for any card game that uses western card deck instead of a hanafuda deck.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:20 pm Reply with quote
QuarkboySam wrote:
Emma Iveli wrote:

I wouldn't even consider that an actual name change, it's more just correct localization as "Trump" has a pretty different connotation in Japanese than in english. In Japanese it ALWAYS refers to playing cards... (western ones, to be precise).
"Trump" as also a generic name used for any card game that uses western card deck instead of a hanafuda deck.

I guess that makes sense, but at the same time the word trump could refer to the term "Trump Card" which could easily tie into the playing card motif.

But like I said the current climate the word "trump" is said, "trump card" is not the first thing someone would think about.
Taifood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:53 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Quote:
I love Debi Derryberry, but she's the last person I'd expect to be the lead here.

You'd be surprised. Most people know her for her Jimmy Neutron voice, but she has proven to be capable of doing distinctly female voices, too. Listen to her as the girl Alois from that old anime movie called The Dog of Flanders. She also does Diana in Sailor Moon Crystal too, though I haven't heard her performance in that one.
I can't be the only one who thinks Debi can't pull distinct human female voices off. I've seen 4 episodes of this series and Maya sounds extremely goofy, like she's not taking anything seriously. Every time she raises her voice in excitement her voice sounds like it goes flat every time. I'm not knocking her ability, because she played Jimmy Neutron pretty well. I just think she's miscast here.

Meanwhile we have Stephanie Sheh playing an edgelord in a magical girl anime, and it's ironically hilarious.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:33 am Reply with quote
Sango chan wrote:
I don't watch this series, but even I'm really annoyed at the Americanizing that Saban did to this show. Why couldn't a real american anime licenser pick this show up so that it can be shown in it original uncut, unamericanized form. I have a feeling where this crap is going and that's down the horrid drain for the real fans.

If any of the traditional R1 anime distributors wanted Pretty Cure, they had a decade to go after it. They didn't.
QuarkboySam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:09 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Sango chan wrote:

If any of the traditional R1 anime distributors wanted Pretty Cure, they had a decade to go after it. They didn't.

The story I heard a number of years ago was that even Saban didn't really want it, and were pressured into the license if they wanted to reacquire their license for Digimon, which they did in 2012 (which is the year that Smile Pretty Cure Came out).
It still took them another 3 years to actually act on the license and find a place to air it (if Netflix even counts to Toei, I don't know)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3