• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. Manga Creator Says He Receives No Profit From Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psiho66

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:10 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:

As has been mentioned millions of times sales of the BD's have little to do with an anime being a success. If it boosts the original source sales (which it did) then it's a success.

That 1k per volume is from Oricon which is pretty much the standard people use to track sales. Not sure why you consider them a poor source? You can see a summary at http://www.someanithing.com/.

One final comment, the author is not getting "screwed over" if he doesn't get a payment from the making of the anime. The anime itself lost money. He gained money by increased manga sales.

Oricon has been proven to be wrong on a couple of occasions a good example is the Kejo anime numbers which were quite wrong and we don't know how much it boosted the manga sales or what were the merch sales or music ect. we can assume it made a lot of money in many of the related things to the anime because it wouldn't be getting a second season if it didn't make money for the production committee.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:31 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:

As has been mentioned millions of times sales of the BD's have little to do with an anime being a success. If it boosts the original source sales (which it did) then it's a success.

That 1k per volume is from Oricon which is pretty much the standard people use to track sales. Not sure why you consider them a poor source? You can see a summary at http://www.someanithing.com/.

One final comment, the author is not getting "screwed over" if he doesn't get a payment from the making of the anime. The anime itself lost money. He gained money by increased manga sales.

I think that was kind of the point. And they didn't say Oricon is a poor source, but that it is "inaccurate". In that it doesn't tell the whole story. Anime do not rely on disc sales nearly as much as people think, as you noted. So why you are saying the anime itself lost money so assuredly, after noting that BDs have little to do with a show being a success is confusing to me(yeah, I got that you are talking about a manga boost, I'll get to that). We don't know that the anime wasn't a financial success on its own merits. Certainly the physical media estimates from Oricon don't look fantastic, but they are also not terrible(really, anything over 1k is half decent these days, to be honest), and there are many other ways an anime could be making money. And this is beyond just manga sales, as you seem to be implying, streaming, international licensing, merchandise, etc, are all important and noteworthy revenue streams.
Also, for what it's worth, Oricon IS just an estimation and does not track actual sales, including from some major retailers. So while it is the best we've got, it is kind of inaccurate in determining most small time successes.
fencer_x

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:31 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:

Ok. So how do they define original anime as a success? Is every one of them just by default a flop? Your logic doesn't hold.

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:41 am Reply with quote
fencer_x wrote:

Ok. So how do they define original anime as a success? Is every one of them just by default a flop? Your logic doesn't hold.

It varies a lot, of course, but here are a few important avenues: International licenses, merchandise sales, streaming deals, sponsorships, games, adaptations and spin-offs, physical media sales, television airing and advertising, etc.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:14 am Reply with quote
Is it possible he just doesn't understand his contract? He said he's making a lot of money from the manga, but that none of the money he's getting has anything to do with the anime, and also that he would get revenue from merchandise if he asked for it. That last part in particular makes no sense to me-he shouldn't have to ask for it, it should be an automatic percentage.
Creativity wise, it's always upsetting to hear that an anime production committee isn't reaching out for the original creator's input.
bigivel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:42 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
ScruffyKiwi wrote:

I think that was kind of the point. And they didn't say Oricon is a poor source, but that it is "inaccurate". In that it doesn't tell the whole story. Anime do not rely on disc sales nearly as much as people think, as you noted. So why you are saying the anime itself lost money so assuredly, after noting that BDs have little to do with a show being a success is confusing to me(yeah, I got that you are talking about a manga boost, I'll get to that). We don't know that the anime wasn't a financial success on its own merits. Certainly the physical media estimates from Oricon don't look fantastic, but they are also not terrible(really, anything over 1k is half decent these days, to be honest), and there are many other ways an anime could be making money. And this is beyond just manga sales, as you seem to be implying, streaming, international licensing, merchandise, etc, are all important and noteworthy revenue streams.
Also, for what it's worth, Oricon IS just an estimation and does not track actual sales, including from some major retailers. So while it is the best we've got, it is kind of inaccurate in determining most small time successes.

Oricon isn't an estimatin, it actually track actual sales! Like, retailers give first hand information to Oricon about how much they sold of certain thing. Is in no way an estimation.
That said, Oricon never said nor implied that it tracked every sales of a product. Nope, what they do is pick a group of significant retailers in the industry and provide a pick at the entirety of the industry, by giving their data.

So is not inaccurate nor is an estimate. Is just doesn't provide what many people think it does.

About the author of PSI, the guy is frustrated that his royalty money still didn't arrived, it seems is taking way longer than it should. And he in fact should complain about the time it is taking(his editor also send a twitt talking about the anime 1st season related royaties being delayed, but coming up).
Now he is basically misinforming people with the entire conversation of you don't receive nothing from the anime and related stuff. As a copyright holder he receives something for every copy of any product related with is series(except illegal stuff and doijinshi).

And people saying he doesn't receives anime profit, because the anime didn't receive profit. One of the reasons the anime didn't receive profit is because an author receives profit. Meaning the anime has to pay something to the author and so it has more costs and has to sell more to get a profit. The author is not paid with what left of the profits!
Also he should, and must, receive money for each episode of the anime.
FD2Raptor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:48 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
also that he would get revenue from merchandise if he asked for it. That last part in particular makes no sense to me-he shouldn't have to ask for it, it should be an automatic percentage.

Please reread the article:
Quote:
In addition, he confirmed that he can generally receive goods based on his work if he asks for them.

i.e. if there's a figure or a key chain of a character from the show, then he can ask for it and will generally receive said item.
bigivel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:52 am Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:

Being mentioned a million times doesn't make it right! In fact original source sales doesn't make in any way or form an anime a success.
Unless the source material publisher is the one doing the anime. Something that doesn't happen!

For producing, distributing, airing and anime and its merchandise it is needed a ton of companies, but none of them receive even a dime, from the source material.

Is the same for Hollywood books adaptations. For example Harry Potter. J.K Rowling didn't gave the movie producers a dime for her increased book sales.

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:39 am Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:

Being mentioned a million times doesn't make it right! In fact original source sales doesn't make in any way or form an anime a success.
Unless the source material publisher is the one doing the anime. Something that doesn't happen!

For producing, distributing, airing and anime and its merchandise it is needed a ton of companies, but none of them receive even a dime, from the source material.

Is the same for Hollywood books adaptations. For example Harry Potter. J.K Rowling didn't gave the movie producers a dime for her increased book sales.

For light novel and manga adaptions the publisher of the source material will always be on the anime production comittee. They are the ones putting up the money hoping for a boost in their IP. The publishers treat the anime like a giant advert for their property.

Of course there are exceptions but for LN and manga adaptions this is the case.

relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:49 am Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:

Oricon isn't an estimatin, it actually track actual sales! Like, retailers give first hand information to Oricon about how much they sold of certain thing. Is in no way an estimation.
That said, Oricon never said nor implied that it tracked every sales of a product. Nope, what they do is pick a group of significant retailers in the industry and provide a pick at the entirety of the industry, by giving their data.

So is not inaccurate nor is an estimate. Is just doesn't provide what many people think it does.

They are estimates in the sense that they don't report on every sale. I should've used a different term than "actual sales"(for the record, they receive figures through a third party who gets them from the retailers. This is not first party information.), but for our purposes, they are still somewhat inaccurate, do not tell the whole story, and are often used as an estimate of the total sales. It doesn't really matter if they've ever claimed to track every sale or not. As a fandom, that's how many often view them, which makes noting that they don't a worthwhile endeavor.

ScruffyKiwi wrote:

For light novel and manga adaptions the publisher of the source material will always be on the anime production comittee. They are the ones putting up the money hoping for a boost in their IP. The publishers treat the anime like a giant advert for their property.

That's not actually the case, no. You will see that regularly, but they are not always on the production committee. You would probably be surprised how often the publisher is not on the committee. The purpose of an anime adaptation of an LN or manga is, apparently surprisingly to some, not just to promote the source. Sometimes that is not even part of the decision at all. There are a lot of reasons that a producer/company might want to adapt something. Sometimes they just really really like it and think it'll be a hit!

Last edited by relyat08 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:14 am; edited 1 time in total
bigivel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:10 am Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:

Since when does success to one stakeholder means success of an anime?
Also the publisher is normally a small stakeholder, meaning that there a lot other entities that place more money. And part of the money made in an anime is redistributed to all producers(in a production committee), still no money made by the source material goes to that. Meaning any extra revenue done by the source material is independent and irrelevant to the committee.

bigivel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:18 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
bigivel wrote:

They are estimates in the sense that they don't report on every sale. I should've used a different term than "actual sales"(for the record, they receive figures through a third party who gets them from the retailers. This is not first party information.), but for our purposes, they are still somewhat inaccurate, do not tell the whole story, and are often used as an estimate of the total sales. It doesn't really matter if they've ever claimed to track every sale or not. As a fandom, that's how many often view them, which makes noting that they don't a worthwhile endeavor.

What the people do with the numbers is irrelevant to what they are. So it doesnt matter that the fandom treats it as total numbers, they aren't! Nor they are estimates to that total number.

A part of a total(specifically a representative one) isn't an estimate, but a sample. This is statistic one on one.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:32 am Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:

What the people do with the numbers is irrelevant to what they are. So it doesnt matter that the fandom treats it as total numbers, they aren't! Nor they are estimates to that total number.

A part of a total(specifically a representative one) isn't an estimate, but a sample. This is statistic one on one.

Rolling Eyes Dude... what people do with the numbers is incredibly relevant to THIS DISCUSSION. Your semantics argument isn't really valuable here. As the numbers are used by the fandom, they operate as an estimate of total sales, regardless of how you feel about it. And I still don't really feel comfortable saying they are actual sales. Third party reporting is not flawless.
bigivel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:03 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
bigivel wrote:

Rolling Eyes Dude... what people do with the numbers is incredibly relevant to THIS DISCUSSION. Your semantics argument isn't really valuable here. As the numbers are used by the fandom, they operate as an estimate of total sales, regardless of how you feel about it. And I still don't really feel comfortable saying they are actual sales. Third party reporting is not flawless.

So in your argument you're saying that the numbers don't count because they are just estimates.
Now it seems the numbers don't count because what the fandom is doing with the numbers is incorrect.

do you see the difference? The point is completely different. Is not just a semantic argument, is that what you said is wrong.
There is nothing wrong with the numbers and the information they give, the problem is with the fandom, so you should/must correct them about their incorrect use and believe about the data, not denigrate/demonize the data.

The reporting possibly having flaws and the data being inaccurate and just estimates is 2 different things.
Surf_rock

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:18 am Reply with quote
Manga didn't receive much of a boost (volume 20 reached 100k+, but the same happened with volume 13 before anime), it always had decent sales for a gag manga. There weren't any big back sales of old volumes, too, so i don't know what kind of profits for author people are talking about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3