• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Why is Recovery of an MMO Junkie So Relatable?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
I don't really get the Watamote vibes at all from this, personally. She is much more in control of her social interactions than Tomoko ever was. This is like relatably awkward, Tomoko was like please see a therapist right now!.

From what's I've seen so far, Morioka in her state is far more socially withdrawn than Tomoko, considering she is unemployed and doesn't have to go to school, nor could even face the mini mart clerk. That's an exact parallel from Watamote!

That's true, I suppose. I guess it has to do with the focus. Watamote was focusing pretty heavily on every horrible interaction that Tomoko had, and was kind of miserable to watch because of it. MMO Junkie focuses a little on that, but it feels much less miserable. Morioka also seems to communicate with the people she wants to easily enough as well(mostly in-game, admittedly). We'll see how her real life interactions with Sakurai go, I suppose.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Great show, way too relatable, I love it!
To commenter above me: both Tomoko and Moriko strike me as having the type of social anxiety where they interact with people as necessary when they feel forced to for school or work, but when given the choice they opt to isolate, which only makes their anxiety worse in the long run.

It's like a fear of flying: some people refuse to fly for any reason, some people reluctantly take flights if the trip is deemed necessary, but if they could get out of it, they would. The longer a person with a fear of flying refuses to go on an airplane, the higher their anxiety will be when they have to take their next flight.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

To commenter above me: both Tomoko and Moriko strike me as having the type of social anxiety where they interact with people as necessary when they feel forced to for school or work, but when given the choice they opt to isolate, which only makes their anxiety worse in the long run.

It's like a fear of flying: some people refuse to fly for any reason, some people reluctantly take flights if the trip is deemed necessary, but if they could get out of it, they would. The longer a person with a fear of flying refuses to go on an airplane, the higher their anxiety will be when they have to take their next flight.

Well, I feel like Tomoko fails entirely in that regard then. Because every interaction she has is a disaster(Maybe she saw some improvement after episode 5 where I stopped, but from what I hear, she didn't). Morioka, on the other hand, has generally pretty okay interactions most of the time, and any anxiety is mostly internal(or behind a screen), while Tomoko is more blatantly making a fool of herself. Maybe that comes with age though, I guess.
We also don't really see Tomoko enjoying interacting with anyone, regardless of context, even on the internet, while MMO Junkie presents Morioka enjoying internet conversations with her game mates quite often, beyond her generally functional interactions with humans in real life when she needs to(I don't see Tomoko being able to do this at all, to be honest).
Maybe they have a similar kind of anxiety, but Tomoko's is significantly more severe. Morioka comes across as generally introverted, while Tomoko comes across as suffering from severe clinical anxiety that needs to be treated ASAP.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:26 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Because every interaction she has is a disaster(Maybe she saw some improvement after episode 5 where I stopped, but from what I hear, she didn't).

That's only if you take the end of the anime as a stopping point for the series. The mangaka has recently put all those elements off to the side, in favor of telling an ongoing story about a group of girls spoiler[who consider Tomoko their friend], who as Tomoko's brother remarks, make his sister seem kind of normal by comparison. Every interaction is still pretty much a disaster for Tomoko, but the new takeaway is that every interaction is pretty much a disaster for a lot of teen girls. In that respect, I think Watamote has even more in common with MMO Junkie.
luigi-dude10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
MJKS wrote:
MMO Junkie is making a strong case on behalf of Netflix for the binge model in anime. I crave the next episode at the end of the most recent one every week.

Netflix and Amazon have been disastrous for anime... trying to pass off neo yokio cartoon cancer as anime and amazon putting shit up behind a DOUBLE PAY WALL. Big corporations need to KEEP AWAY from anime dude.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:18 pm Reply with quote
luigi-dude10 wrote:
Big corporations need to KEEP AWAY from anime dude.

The holding company that owns Recovery of an MMO Junkie made $1.75 billion last year. It's not like people are making these shows in their garages.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:16 pm Reply with quote
luigi-dude10 wrote:
Quote:
Big corporations need to KEEP AWAY from anime dude.

They don't have to, and you can't make them. Mad No matter how much you or I or anyone else doesn't like their participation, it is now a fact of life. Deal with it.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:47 pm Reply with quote
luigi-dude10 wrote:
MJKS wrote:
MMO Junkie is making a strong case on behalf of Netflix for the binge model in anime. I crave the next episode at the end of the most recent one every week.

Netflix and Amazon have been disastrous for anime...

You can argue that they are bad for you as a fan, but they are certainly not bad for anime financially(or artistically, to be honest, Netflix gives about as much creative freedom as possible. To the point that some creators have complained about having too much). They've infused the industry with hundreds of millions of dollars already. And if anyone is able to overthrow the cancerous production committee system, it's one of these companies.
MJKS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:56 am Reply with quote
luigi-dude10 wrote:
Netflix and Amazon have been disastrous for anime... trying to pass off neo yokio cartoon cancer as anime and amazon putting shit up behind a DOUBLE PAY WALL. Big corporations need to KEEP AWAY from anime dude.

I probably could've been clearer, but my point was really just that I want to watch all of MMO Junkie right now.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:07 am Reply with quote
I got your point. Laughing
I think most people did. Seems like luigi just was looking for an opportunity to complain.
MJKS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:14 am Reply with quote
Maybe so! Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2