• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Offer English Dub of Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Finally. The Voltron crowd can see what a good space opera looks like.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I wish was option to use have the straight english translation of it.
I don't have alot trust in Funi.

I am exception to the rule, that i don't want the names changed to the old American Star Blazers version. I grew up that, its fine. But i would rather see the ship named Yamato vs Argo and etc.

Maybe i can get the Hong Kong version.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:

I am exception to the rule, that i don't want the names changed to the old American Star Blazers version. I grew up that, its fine. But i would rather see the ship named Yamato vs Argo and etc.

How is that an exception to the rule? Don't most people want accuracy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, this is quite the surprise! Shocked I was always interested in this franchise mainly due to the remake, but I couldn’t find a convenient enough legal method of watching any of it. (As opposed to an earlier comment here, I’m 19 years old at the time of writing this.) This is great news and like others here have already said, I hope a Blu Ray release for this can happen soon. I also wonder if the English sub will become available on a legal streaming service at some point in the future.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Christmas coming early this year, huh?

It's a pipe dream, but I hope this leads to a future uncut release of the original series and movies with a new dub with the same voice cast as this release.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:56 pm Reply with quote
A gigantic surprise! Surprised After how the original Space Battleship Yamato didn't fare well in decades' past, I never dreamed that 2199 would be finally debuted with an English version.

Now I wonder how Funi is going to handled their English version of Space Battleship Yamato 2199...I hope it'll be as accurate towards the Japanese as possible (with some minor changes for clarity).
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:26 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Wrangler wrote:

How is that an exception to the rule? Don't most people want accuracy?

Yeah, I'm with penguintruth here. You're not super special because you want a dub that's faithful to the original. It's what I want, it's what penguintruth wants, it's what most people want. I highly doubt FUNi's gonna change much of anything, and even if they do, they'll release the series on home video in both English and Japanese like they always do.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:15 am Reply with quote
Yesssss!!!! So glad to hear this. Now this is a good way to start the day Very Happy Very Happy [/i]
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:00 am Reply with quote
Shar Aznabull wrote:
I really, really hope this means an affordable physical release is in the works. I just can't justify to myself dropping all that money on the older release especially now that a dubbed version is happening.

The original Voyager release wasn't even finished as out of the 6 volumes that were planned, only 4 of them came out and IIRC, volume 4 had some playback issues that were never fixed so hunting those down would be a waste of time and money regardless and FUNi's release, which should happen, will be the first complete release of 2199 here.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:34 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Quote:
The company added the title to its list of fall season simuldubs.

Something of a known quality in a sea of quantity... it'll never catch on...
I know Funi ussaly just grab anything, but this season they are simuldubing most of the good ones.
Nyron

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:53 am Reply with quote
I wish we could ignore the connection to star blazers here and instead focus on how this is by far the best scifi anime japan has put out this century

Its not just for people who liked the 1970s space scoobydoo show

I hope it has a real dub and not "herp derp argo"
russ869

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:07 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure Funimation never actually licensed Resurrection and that announcement was a mistake. What they meant to announce was that they had licensed the live action movie, which they did release.

Really hoping 2199 gets a complete BD release.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:23 am Reply with quote
Nyron wrote:
I wish we could ignore the connection to star blazers here and instead focus on how this is by far the best scifi anime japan has put out this century

Its not just for people who liked the 1970s space scoobydoo show

I hope it has a real dub and not "herp derp argo"
It certainly is a bit weird. Some titles like Voltron have a recognisable name. But Star Blazers doesn't seem, correct me if I'm wrong, a lot of nostalgia. So they could just go with Battleship Yamato 2199. Anyone who will buy it, is not going to do based on the name recognition of Star Blazers.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:37 am Reply with quote
Hot damn, about flipp'in time!

If memory serves me, Cartoon Network expressed an interest in running this series a few years ago, but the deal fell apart and it never happened. Maybe now that a dub is finally being made, we might see it run on Toonami after all.

I usually don't watch dubs, but I'll probably make an exception for this one.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Is this a good starter for someone who's never seen a space opera before?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3