• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Game No Life Zero Film Earns 700 Million Yen

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I watched the film dubbed, and I haven't seen the sub. But I did read the LN before the movie.

Did they use the name "Shuvi" in the sub too? I'm used to "Schwi" so I was a little confused.

I did some research and it's apparently dependent on the translation... although, I always thought "Schwi" (pronounced "Shvii" ) was the proper way to say it since it's supposed to be based off of the German word "Schwarzer." Japanese to English translation shouldn't matter when you're using a German word...
aifhak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:23 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
I watched the film dubbed, and I haven't seen the sub. But I did read the LN before the movie.

Did they use the name "Shuvi" in the sub too? I'm used to "Schwi" so I was a little confused.

I did some research and it's apparently dependent on the translation... although, I always thought "Schwi" (pronounced "Shvii" ) was the proper way to say it since it's supposed to be based off of the German word "Schwarzer." Japanese to English translation shouldn't matter when you're using a German word...

her name is written out as シュヴィ, which is pronounced as shuvi. you can get rid of the u in the middle and make it sound like shvi as well, which is basicly the same thing as Schwi, sch is a german thing iirc.
The "translation" isn't a translation at all. It's just different ways to write it. One closer to how it would be written in japanese, the other closer to its original if what you said of the origin is true.

Kinda like with Fluegel vs Flügel. Both the same thing.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:00 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:

They did use shuvi in the sub version.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:32 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
R315r4z0r wrote:

They did use shuvi in the sub version.

I guess they must've had multiple translations because it was "Schwi" at my showing. Confused

aifhak wrote:

I was told by friends that the screenings in the US basicly spoilered the entire movie before it even started. Is that the interview with the people that did the dub that you're talking about?

Yes, that's the 20 minute interview thing. I didn't think it spoiled all that much, but I can understand why some fans were upset.
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to NGNL on 700 million yen. Can't wait for the BD to release so that I can watch it. Hoping Season 2 happens. We need more Steph.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2