• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more
You are welcome to look at the talkback but please consider that this article is over 5 years old before posting.
Last reply was 5 years, 5 months ago.

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: BEATLESS

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanQ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:33 am Reply with quote
The Premise reminds me "Time of EVE"... I hope it will explore more complex aspects of human/android society...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:20 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I kept on expecting there would be some kind of encounter there, but no... they just went to the school and picked up the tablet... er, okay.

I think the point was to show us that she's more than just a tool downloading behavioral routines from the cloud to be useful and less uncanny valley. She was the one who suggested exploring the school more and going up on the roof where she appeared to enjoy the sights and the breeze in her hair. It could just be to see him in this environment first hand to interact with him better, but she could've downloaded the layout of the school (and apparently did, since she seemed to know where they were going) or by some other means without taking a tour right then.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:38 am Reply with quote
With only 2 episodes out it's still too early to call where this is going..
I enjoyed the 1st episode.. and the 2nd episode seemed to reset the mood back to a more vanilla approach. I am being reminded of several series here.. Plastic Memories, and Bubble Gum Crisis. The 2nd episode was like an episode of Plastic Memories.. while the first was BGC. And apparently in the future you need to make any prototype androids out of a super explody type material so that when it fails... it all goes BOOM!.

I'll keep following it at this point..
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:42 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So...Arato's friend Kengo is helping the hIE-killers? Seems like that'd warrant a mention in the review.

Is that what he was doing? I wasn't at all clear about that from what was shown in the scene.

Hmmm. Now I have to go back and rewatch that scene more carefully. . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:47 am Reply with quote
Well, it was kinda cryptic, just enough that it could have an alternate explanation, but it seemed like they were framing it nefariously. Smile That's why I ended the sentence with a question mark. But I'm pretty sure he was helping someone evade the police, so if not the attackers, then for some other reason they couldn't be caught up in that dragnet.

At any rate, both of Arato's friends and his father seem unduly involved with hIEs.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Three episodes in, and BEATLESS is still holding it cards closely to the chest. I am just ready for something to happen. I don't want to get one or two more episodes and suddenly it becomes a mad scramble trying to wrap up for the grand finale.

I am looking at you, Chaos;Head.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
Three episodes in, and BEATLESS is still holding it cards closely to the chest. I am just ready for something to happen. I don't want to get one or two more episodes and suddenly it becomes a mad scramble trying to wrap up for the grand finale.

I am looking at you, Chaos;Head.

I wouldn’t worry that it will need to start scrambling to wrap everything up in a few episodes, as it is two cours if I’m not mistaken.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:13 am Reply with quote
Huh? It'll be two cours?
Okay. That sorta explains the pacing. I guess that also answers why it's being adapted as an anime only now.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm really starting to wonder about Arato's little sister. She seems a little too resilient to all the crazy stuff going on around her. No matter what happens, as long as she gets to eat, she's good to go. oO Even talking with her friends, she was all about being fed.

I'm also wondering about the bald dude in the assembly meeting. I guess he was Security Guy? He seemed...I dunno, too pleased with what was going on? Maybe he was just being smug, but I sense a hidden agenda lurking under that dome.
Mojave

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I have mixed feelings about episode 5. On the one hand, there was a lot of great stuff happening. I really enjoyed the parts of the episode that focused on Mikoto and what the implications of her implementation would be. This episode really shone as far as all the theoretical questions were concerned. The intricacies of Arato and Lacia's infiltration were also great.

However, the episode also got several things pretty muddled up. We weren't given enough information to even begin to process what Kouka and Snowdrop's aims were, and as such, their actions didn't really make sense in this episode. Sure, we could be given the necessary information pertaining to that later in the series, but with how much of a central role they played in the episode, we needed to be given at least a little more information to be able to at least form a rough understanding. As it was, their whole segments of the episode basically just felt ungrounded and unconnected to the rest. In addition, Kouka's references to being a tool to help Kengo overcome his human enemies didn't make much sense, given that they were accompanied by Kengo finally revealing how deep his hatred and mistrust of HIEs is and how large his focus on the sanctity of humans is. So it hints at something much bigger in Kengo's motivations/plans that we were given literally no other references to.

Overall, the episode was still decent, but it kinda flubbed part of its execution, lessening what could have been a much more impactful episode.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I didn't get the impression that Kouka's function had anything specifically to do with Kengo aside from the fact that he was the one she was working with at the time. It seemed more like they were rattling off their design mission statements.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:22 pm Reply with quote
So 5 episodes in.. and I am liking what I am seeing so far..
I'd give it a solid B at this point.. I am glad to hear its going to be 24 episodes as this series does show promise.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:28 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit confused by how Kengo ended up dangling off the building. Apparently one of the soldier bots scooped him up and jumped off with him. Why would it do that? Who told it to do that? How did Kengo get out of its grip to be hanging there instead of sharing its fate somewhere down below?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:50 am Reply with quote
I think somehow, Snowdrop is able to kill people (we see her use a drone to gun down someone earlier), so I assume Snowdrop caused the thing to jump (had it lost its gun?). As for how he escaped, I'd just chalk that up to plot armor.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What concerns me is that it was titled “Intermission 001,” which suggests that it isn't the only recap episode this series will feature. At best, perhaps these will be split evenly through the franchise's two-cour run?

The second intermission is on March 23. animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-02-07/beatless-anime-to-get-recap-episodes-on-february-16-march-23/.127497
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4