• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Citrus

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:04 pm Reply with quote
In regards to episode 4:

"I am a sex offender", "you are a sex offender", "everybody is a sex offender"

I never would have suspected that Himeko would turn out to be a sexual predator. I want this trashy show to redeem Mei and for Yuzu to be with her, but all the sexual abuse is making me lose faith.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Mmmm, I'm enjoying this glorious salacious romantic yuri shenanigans; it's almost like watching a soap opera. spoiler[It's going to be something else once they introduce Matsuri!] But I can see the dissonance since this episode actually has legitimate good stuff in it like the entirety of Himeko's flashback.

NobodysDawn wrote:
So far this seems more like yaoi, just with girls instead of guys. I don’t know if that makes any sense, but yaoi and yuri always seemed to have a particular style to them and Citrus seems to lean more towards how a yaoi would play out than a yuri anime.

Funny enough, I heard there was an April Fools joke where a BL manga-ka took the first chapter of the Citrus manga and genderbent everyone.
otagirl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:18 am Reply with quote
When i first read the manga, those scenes never used to bother me. But seeing it in adaptation is something else. I think they definitely framed those scenes negatively (although most male viewers actually seem to enjoy them).

Episode 1 end scene was exaggerated and pretty much directed as a rape scene.
Episode 4 Himeko assault was actually more sensual in the anime and left out Mei saying "No". Probably so as to not make it too awful to watch.

As a whole I think the manga is great compared to other popular yuri. Mei and Yuzu act like the idiotic children they are and go round in circles. But their relationship also slowly builds up and the latest chapters have you rootin for them. Still not sure if theres going to be a happy end though.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:14 am Reply with quote
otagirl wrote:
When i first read the manga, those scenes never used to bother me. But seeing it in adaptation is something else. I think they definitely framed those scenes negatively (although most male viewers actually seem to enjoy them).

Episode 4 Himeko assault was actually more sensual in the anime and left out Mei saying "No". Probably so as to not make it too awful to watch.

I am a male viewer, and I did not enjoy Himeko's rape-y attitude. I did not have many problems with that scene in episode 1, but the scene in episode 4 crossed the line. I certainly like fanservice in anime. And for Citrus I rather see the fanservice stick to showing girls' legs and butts and Harumi's ridiculous cleavage; I don't need CROSS ANGE's level rape-y fanservice.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:27 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
While I agree that this series has some problems, Yuzu's lack of passivity is what will probably keep me coming back all season. She doesn't just let things happen to her.

I saw the first episode. Can someone explain why what I saw wasn't what I saw then? Not the first moment of passivity, the second one. No, not that one either, it comes with the genre. I just don't know why it usually comes with the genre, where one has to be the "aggressor" while the other must play the role of "prey"... maybe if it had some sort of catchy phrase to use? By the way, it's easy to see that Yuzu's bottom was tops to Mei... I think I just managed a quadruple pun out of that...

No, how Yuzu just lets her life get turned outside down when her mother just happens to get married to a total stranger to her? If Yuzu really was this Yuzu then she would have been fully involved in her mother's life. No, she just went along with it.

And then there's the more icky stuff. It's not the worst thing I ever saw but I'm not looking forward to how the show gets to rationalize Mei's actions.

I guess I'm ok with Yuzu's reactions though it depends to what she's responding to.

"Is she some kind of... masochist?" I'm ok with that.
If she confuses those feelings with actual feelings of affection for one particular sexual predator, not so much. And I saw the opening so I already know the answer.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:21 pm Reply with quote
So far, I have enjoyed this adaptation of Citrus. I think Ayana Taketatsu does an amazing job as Yuzu. I also love that Nano.ripe opening and overall the anime has been a fun ride as pacing goes.

That being said Citrus as a manga can feel pretty repetitive. spoiler[Most volumes start with a new girl or in this case a pre-existing girl attempting to charm either Mei or Yuzu away from each other and the opposite girl always finds a way to stop the new rival. It feels like a shonen battle manga in that way.] That being said, I still buy every new volume as it's my good old trashy yuri manga comfort food.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Hehe, it's a good thing the love rival competition between Yuzu and Himeko that could have been easily dragged out gets nipped in the bud. Heck, there were a lot of good Yuzu moments in this episode from her being a proactive good sister to spaghetti spilling love interest. Mei even got some good ones that showed her softer side.

I have to say it is rather a tease to show Matsuri's back in the next week's episode preview.
Nodz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Why is it called Citrus?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:17 pm Reply with quote
B- seems a little harsh, I don't think the episode was that bad. And it is one thing to criticise the show for having unhealthy aspects, but sort of like training something, it has really punished itself when it has resorted to unhealthy character interaction, and felt more rewarding when it has done something positive.

[quote="Nodz"]Why is it called Citrus?[quote]

I don't know. Maybe it is about some of these inner conflicts pushing their actions are acidic, but fixed up a little they can be sweet?
otagirl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:06 am Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
Why is it called Citrus?

Because its a bittersweet romance.
And Yuzu is a type of citrus fruit.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Emdykay wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote:

The anime has increased the voyeurism to a degree that objectifies the characters more blatantly than the FEMALE MANGAKA intended, and outright mortally wounds the material by turning overly-aggressive behavior into outright sexual assault.

It's. Trashy.

I am really curious how the anime is more voyeuristic and objectifying than the manga, care to elaborate?
And why was it only "overly-aggressive behavior" and not outright sexual assault in the manga and what exactly is the difference between those two?

I have read both the fan translation and the official translation of the manga (though I may not have read all of the official translation chapters... I BOUGHT them all, but I may not have read the pages...) and watching the anime I don't see it as being significantly more "overtly-aggressive" than the manga.

otagirl wrote:

As a whole I think the manga is great compared to other popular yuri. Mei and Yuzu act like the idiotic children they are and go round in circles. But their relationship also slowly builds up and the latest chapters have you rootin for them. Still not sure if theres going to be a happy end though.

Episode 4: It wasn't Mei who said "No...", it was Himeko. In the "Official" manga translation, they left out the word "president" after "Please look at me!" It is there in the fan translation AND in the subtitles AND the Japanese. It makes it LOOK like it is Mei saying "No" in the Seven Seas version of the manga, but that is not correct. In reality, it is Himeko saying "Please look at me, president... No... Mei Mei..." She is switching from using her title to the familiar name. That is, frankly, an error in the Seven Seas translation because the "No..." doesn't make sense coming from Himeko so, even without any indicators showing that Mei is talking, people assume she is because of the positioning of the bubble and the fact that the sentence doesn't make sense otherwise. If you listen to the Japanese, Himeko says "Watashi o mitekudasai no, kaichō, īe... Mei Mei..." which is exactly what the subtitles say: "Please look at me, president, No... Mei Mei..."

The only thing that makes it any more sensual is that it includes more blushing, voices, and Mei being more obviously disturbed by her actions. (Which is actually kind of correct, right? Shouldn't Mei appear to be disturbed by her actions?) The biggest difference is that in the Manga her eyes are open instead of closed and she grabs her arm. If anything I would say it is a poor characterization of Mei, since she appears a bit weak, though the lines suggest she is supposed to have a weak spot with her ears... Also, it is a different interpretation of the scene, but not that different from the manga, since neither the manga NOR the anime indicates whether they "did or didn't" before Mei later tells Yuzu the truth.

Nodz wrote:
Why is it called Citrus?

Yuzu is one of the most popular citrus fruits in Japan and, obviously, the name of one of the main characters. Citrus fruits are also frequently used as analogies for "bittersweet love" as with the song "Orange" that was used as the ED for part of Toradora! (I think it was the ED...)
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Mei's dad is like a plot device just to bring together her and Yuzu, but it did bring forth solid sequences. For example there's Yuzu's crazy long bike ride from the school to the train station (with BIRDS), her holding Mei's hand for confidence, and an actual consensual kiss that's worth tons of fangirl squeals.

Time to bust up the popcorn next week because Matsuri enters the picture, and I remember having a glorious time reading that arc!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7 was one of the better executed ones. I feel that Citrus has finally found stability and seems more comfortable with how it handles its characters and general storytelling. I hope the last five episodes are well executed and consistent.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:05 am Reply with quote
Christopher Farris wrote:
While Mei and Yuzu have technically been physically intimate for longer than they've been "related" through marriage

How so? They didn't even MEET until AFTER Yuzu's mother had married Mei's Father. They couldn't possibly have been physically intimate before they were step-sisters! And I think it is very clear that Mei, at least, knew exactly who Yuzu was from the moment she showed up at school. After all, she knew about her father's marriage and that she was moving in with her new step-mother. There's no reason to believe that she also didn't know about the fact that her new step-mother had a daughter. At the very least, she would have found out when Yuzu was introduced to the class because of her last name. (Of course, the real question is why none of the other students in the class wondered about the fact that she had the same last name as Mei? Is it really a common name?)
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:51 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
Christopher Farris wrote:
While Mei and Yuzu have technically been physically intimate for longer than they've been "related" through marriage

How so? They didn't even MEET until AFTER Yuzu's mother had married Mei's Father. They couldn't possibly have been physically intimate before they were step-sisters! And I think it is very clear that Mei, at least, knew exactly who Yuzu was from the moment she showed up at school. After all, she knew about her father's marriage and that she was moving in with her new step-mother. There's no reason to believe that she also didn't know about the fact that her new step-mother had a daughter. At the very least, she would have found out when Yuzu was introduced to the class because of her last name. (Of course, the real question is why none of the other students in the class wondered about the fact that she had the same last name as Mei? Is it really a common name?)

I believe he's referring to the fact that Mei had her hands on Yuzu's buttcheeks a good deal before they were introduced as new sisters, not that the marriage hadn't taken place yet. But it is a little confusing, should have caught that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3