• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Super Lovers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:34 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Pretty cool that FUNi went the extra mile.

Yeah, from what I've heard, OVAs often aren't covered under the original distribution agreements, and getting the rights for them added in can be something of a nightmare.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:40 pm Reply with quote
For those taking personal offense to this review, this is never a good response to anyone analyzing any type of media. I can't find anything directly shaming in re-reading this article, other than a less-than-objective sarcastic tone. Have a thicker skin and buckle down on what you support. If this is something you are interested in, buy the release and/or perpetuate its successes and failures with other like-minded fans, but don't take criticism from someone outside the genre as a personal attack. This show did get a physical release; there are obviously producers and individuals out there who believe it is worth owning.

At the same time, I do not agree that this show is a feature for the column this week. It should not be perishable based on having a very limited target audience and also questionable content for mainstream fans. Definitively review it with the same opinions, but in this situation, it feels like its fans are deliberately antagonized because has been such a gross undertaking for anyone on staff to view it.

I did not make it through the first episode. Everyone has a kink, and even if it were in this case, I don't think I would want to have it for public discussion. Confused

Last edited by Usagi-kun on Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Guile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:41 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
This is actually very useful for people who like BL but might have been unsure about whether to watch this show. People who enjoy those fetishes would know by Gabriella's review that they are present in the show so it might be worth their time, while people who are put off by things like shotacon and grooming will know to stay clear of it.

I don't know of a BL fan who isn't already aware of Super Lovers. It's extremely popular and well regarded in the fandom. I say the issue is ANN is usually out of touch with the BL community
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:57 pm Reply with quote
My main problem with this show was just that it was BORING. The characters were uninteresting, the "romance" was awful regardless of the age difference and overall there are so many more BL series I wish had been adapted instead of this snoozefest.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

I don't know of a BL fan who isn't already aware of Super Lovers. It's extremely popular and well regarded in the fandom. I say the issue is ANN is usually out of touch with the BL community

They definitely are out of touch. But I blame NA BL licensors for the lack of content available. Nothing beats the huge variety France's manga publishers offers. I pay a subscription which nails me 10 BL manga every 2 months. That's how much NA get in a year of they are lucky. It still baffles me that amazing authors like Kanna Kii have not a single of their series licensed in English yet.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
You guys who are saying that this... thing shouldn't have received a Perishable grade are, IMO, confused about what Shelf Life is supposed to be about. This is NOT a regular review of an anime. It's a *Shelf Life* review of an anime, which is why it has the grading scale it does and not the A-F version.

To put it simply, Shelf Life is intended for mainstream fans. It is *not* directed at the niche that the show may be aimed at. The writers might include some bones in that direction in the process of informing mainstream fans about the show, but those bones aren't the point.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I'll say this for Super Lovers: at least it wasn't Pillow Boys. Remove the pedo pairing & it's basically just another crap romance about a guy who doesn't know how he feels but he's gonna assault & abuse the object of his confusion until he figures it out.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm seriously sick of this bull ANN keeps putting forth in all their "reviews". Super Lovers is trash but trying to throw amazing series like Prisma Illya under the bus because of loli stuff when it has so much freaking substance is ridiculous. I don't want to see ANN comment on other series like Monogatari either...the personal bias involved here is unreal and honestly it hurts the site as being the place people come to get anime news. Super pissed off right now, stop [expletive] shitting on people who like fictional content.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Literally no one is "Shitting on people who like fictional content". They never said "if you like Prisma Ilya you're a stupid pedophile and should be ashamed of yourself." The reviewer did her job, review the content of the show and explicitly went out of her way to say that liking this content doesn't make you a worse person than someone who doesn't. Y'all need to stop feeling so paranoid when someone criticizes your chinese cartoons
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Gabriella Ekens wrote:
For instance, Haru repeatedly emphasizes how it's “normal” for them to sleep together (it's not)

I haven't watched the show, so I don't know what sleeping together means, other than sleeping together in the same bed. If there was more to it than that, then you are absolutely right.

There was many a time that I had to sleep in the same bed as my brother, though it was like a 'cold war' than anything else. We both hated it, and there was plenty of stealth fighting so that the parents were not disturbed.

Even so, there are plenty of countries were it is normal for siblings to sleep together, and even whole families. The obvious reason being poverty.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:54 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
"equivalent lolicon shows like Prisma Ilya "

I take great offense if you're comparing Prisma Ilya with this garbage.
While I wish that Prisma Illya had more action and less fanservice it is not equivalent to a show such as Super Lovers in which an adult grooms a child. Of all the shows that could have been used for an example I am not sure why that was picked except for the fact that is it well known due to the four TV shows and the recent movie.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Haru is 21 and Ren is 14 when they start living together. That's 7 year gap. How old are the girls in Prisma? I haven't seen the fate show myself so i don't have much of an opinion on it. Anyway a silly war between the two is quite dumb. Don't be like that folks.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:44 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Haru is 21 and Ren is 14 when they start living together. That's 7 year gap. How old are the girls in Prisma? I haven't seen the fate show myself so i don't have much of an opinion on it. Anyway a silly war between the two is quite dumb. Don't be like that folks.

From memory they're all elementary students, so the issue isn't so much about the age difference between the characters as it is between the characters & the (assumed) audience - given what they get up to. More apt pedo...sorry, loli comparison might be Astarotte's Toy or Kodomo no Jikan. Actually there was also that Angel 3-Piece last summer that everyone was too busy pretending to be grossed out by Light Novel Incest Trash Anime to notice.
Black_Kenshi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:06 pm Reply with quote
For those of y'all that are getting offended about the bad review, I think y'all just need to calm down a bit. If you disagreed with the points in the review, the more mature thing to do is to refute the points with your own opinions and foster a discussion about the work in question. While overall opinions might not change in the end, but everyone may walk away with a different angle to look at things. This is your chance to do that and you're just bungling it by acting butt hurt because someone said something bad about something you happened to like. How are you going to react when (not if) you encounter someone in real life that has a differing opinion? In those cases, the way you react can affect your future in ways you might not imagine.

As for me, I wholeheartedly agreed with the review. Yes, I was initially curious about the series and it initially didn't seem all that bad. But as time went on, the cracks really started to show. The grooming and attempted rape and relative age difference, which are seen as real problems that can cause really bad repercussions for the victim that can last long into adulthood, seem to be portrayed as something cute between lovers (Super Lovers?) or a temporary speed bump in the relationship building that's never called into question or referenced by the characters for the rest of the season. And no, I didn't stick around for season 2.

I'm not here to hop on my moral high horse. This was just my opinion about the show and how its elements were portrayed and how uncomfortable it made me feel. If you like this show, then who am I to judge?
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Gucchan wrote:
Lol at people having a problem with this anime but not saying a thing about the shitload of litte sister fetish animes or all the animes with a loli/loli-looking sidekicks out there. Because this is virtually the same, only BL. I don’t care if people don’t like this anime, I just dislike hypocrisy.

That is not what's happening.
Shows that focus on little sisters and lolis are criticised constantly here. It happens for most shows that portray extrem age/power imbalance and/or abuse.

Ironically, when someone criticises shows with a male main audience, they often get accused of "not doing the same to (equally bad) yaoi" or "not caring as long as it's yaoi". I don't think your perceived hypocrisy is real, there are a lot of people who don't think those dynamics are cool in anime, regardless of gender.

As I stated in a comment earlier, even relatively "tame" shows like "After the Rain" and "Ancient Magus' Bride" get called out on their flaws about power/age dynamics a lot on ANN, and I think that's valid, even though I personally like those.

It is also not neccessary to list all other offenders when talking about one specific show. Criticism is valid even without name dropping 'Kodomo no Jikan', for example.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7