• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:04 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I also assumed she named the gun after her.

That could also be possible. Pito was the one who recommended it to her. Though the gun is called a P90 so she might have named it after the gun. Maybe it's both.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Well, that was a bit dumb. There was that one girl who was on her own for some reason. Dumb move. That large women kept shooting at the same spot even though it was obviously not working. Then LLENN somehow can't hit her properly at pointblank. Then the large women empties her gun into LLENN's gun... That squad of women were supposed to be like really good at the game because they had gotten so far, but the episode made them look like noobs.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:30 am Reply with quote
It is not impossible for their guns to act like that, in fact easily explained. LLEN's heartbeat might have been uncontrolled at that moment from panicking, that why they went all wild. Reminds me of times in Fallout were chances of hitting someone should be good in VATS, but even with an automatic weapon I happened to get the minimal percent that would be a miss, with several bullets somehow missing at point blank.

The woman kept shooting the same spot in that it was the heart, probably the ultimate critical, and when as a gamer you can put all your moves into one over used move for something that only one might be required, but as a way to gloat that you really were the best. Like from playing Gwent in Wtcher 3 recently I would aim to totally decimate at the end due to the euphoria. Even if not logical that if one was countered, you should have diversified

By the voice that were going through LLEN's head right before her gun was used as a shield, it sounded more like LLEN purposely used it to catch the fire, rather than the woman by chance doing so. Even if she went into a rage afterwards.

And the girl by herself, well I would think that she was a scout. A good amount of their team looked like tanks. While bunching up would be one strategy, it was probably better to split forces to use their numbers in seeing what was ahead.

I was really anxious on whether they would properly reveal that the girls were the opponents in the game, and they finally did it at the end, which was great.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:58 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

The woman kept shooting the same spot in that it was the heart, probably the ultimate critical

In a shooter that should be the head. Everyone knows that a headshot is the ultimate critical. The large women kept shooting at the same spot and was like "Is she immortal?!" Like momentarily she lost all common sense.

Quote:
By the voice that were going through LLEN's head right before her gun was used as a shield, it sounded more like LLEN purposely used it to catch the fire, rather than the woman by chance doing so. Even if she went into a rage afterwards.

I get that, but what we see of LLENN during that moment is her standing completely still. So once again the large women kept shooting at the same spot even though it was obviously not working for her.

Quote:
And the girl by herself, well I would think that she was a scout. A good amount of their team looked like tanks. While bunching up would be one strategy, it was probably better to split forces to use their numbers in seeing what was ahead.

The squad can stay close enough to each other without bunching up. LLENN and the scout girl had a fairly long firefight so the scout girl must have been quite far away from the others. In a game where a single shot can kill you and you can't respawn or revive players, dividing up so that squad mates can get picked off one by one seems like among the most stupid strategies. The satellite scan thing didn't matter at that point.

Anyway, I get all of that stuff was done to make the final battle more exciting (and more fair to LLENN), but it just made everyone look incompetent to me.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:18 pm Reply with quote
That whole thing with M trying to kill Llenn was the stupidest excuse for creating drama I've seen in quite a while. So M firmly believed Pito would literally kill him irl if he died in the game, but she'd spare him if he surrendered? After killing Llenn??? Sure, buddy, whatever you say. Rolling Eyes

And what was up with the talking gun (with eyes) hallucination?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
That whole thing with M trying to kill Llenn was the stupidest excuse for creating drama I've seen in quite a while. So M firmly believed Pito would literally kill him irl if he died in the game, but she'd spare him if he surrendered? After killing Llenn??? Sure, buddy, whatever you say. Rolling Eyes

Well she did specifically say in the letter that if he died through combat, so he must take things very literally.

I guess the manager of a top up idol has it hard, where she is publicly shown as serene, but clearly has a lot of pent up rage underneath. At least that is the suspicion, that she herself got him to play the game, while him simply choosing the letter "M" was because he is her manager.
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:11 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Well she did specifically say in the letter that if he died through combat, so he must take things very literally.

I guess the manager of a top up idol has it hard, where she is publicly shown as serene, but clearly has a lot of pent up rage underneath. At least that is the suspicion, that she herself got him to play the game, while him simply choosing the letter "M" was because he is her manager.

Or he's an "M" while she's an "S". Razz

(As in masochist and sadist. Often apparently used as Shorthand in Japan for dominant and submissive, rather than the more accurate 'taking pleasure in' meaning)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Well Pitohui went full crazy, before she went full sith. They also hinted that Pitohui might be using a nerveGear, an explanation of how she stayed in despite apparently falling unconscious from an elation of getting shot in the head, surviving by a sheer pixel or something. No idea if the dangerous aspects of the NerveGear are in effect.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

The reveal at the end could perhaps be worth something, if it was not kind of obvious from so early on. I do like how LLENN saw through it at the end, and simply saw her as Pito, and Pito's freak side coming out in coming onto Karen. That was all nice, granted the confrontation on the battlefield had LLENN going to Holy Grail level rabbit. Given this show, I think the gruesomeness was great, and that it could balance it with the other stuff.

I am a teeny bit disappointed with the show, because it kind of feels like it did not really go anywhere for a huge stretch, there was not a huge amount of development, and exploring GGO as much as I was hoping for. I say this though, in that I am actually a pretty big fan of the SAO franchise, that I like most of the anime that has come out, and this was no different. I know that there are some who are more negative on the franchise, and some of them were feeling more positive, but I wonder how they feel after it kind of went the way of being a fight to stop someone dying in real life again. Games can have huge cultural significance in modern days, so I do think these stories of VR are worth it. My favourite bits though tend to be in the details. Fukaziroh was good fun, with her total overkill of double grenade launchers, with mentions of honing skills I can think of fitting in games, and totally the part that she swung a gun like a sword. I am a little curious what her ALO character was like.

I give a rating of Good (7/10), I had a good time, and enjoyed it. Totally would like more spinoffs of the types of VR that the SAO franchise has had.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2