• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Respond to Voice Actor Hiroshi Kamiya's Angry Outburst at Event

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:09 pm Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
It wasn't even a question and answer session. It was a call and response, and the audience knew what the desired response was. Like, if a singer calls on the audience to sing a part of the song, they're expected to sing the correct lyrics for that particular song. In this situation, it was as if one person decided to sing something entirely different than what was expected, and because of that one person's actions, it messed everything up.

Based on what you said of the girl, it sounded more like she was clueless. The idea that every single person in an audience at an event is going to be in the know, is not a realistic expectation.

While I think she was simply clueless based on what you said of her, I could well be wrong too. Who knows what goes on in the minds of people.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:10 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
crosswithyou wrote:
It wasn't even a question and answer session. It was a call and response, and the audience knew what the desired response was. Like, if a singer calls on the audience to sing a part of the song, they're expected to sing the correct lyrics for that particular song. In this situation, it was as if one person decided to sing something entirely different than what was expected, and because of that one person's actions, it messed everything up.

Based on what you said of the girl, it sounded more like she was clueless. The idea that every single person in an audience at an event is going to be in the know, is not a realistic expectation.

How is it not a realistic expectation when he was explicitly saying "do not answer X" and the girl kept answering X over and over again. It also seems she insisted more than a couple of times, I can't fathom she would be so clueless as to not understand when being repeatedly told to stop doing so.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:48 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
crosswithyou wrote:

How is it not a realistic expectation when he was explicitly saying "do not answer X" and the girl kept answering X over and over again. It also seems she insisted more than a couple of times, I can't fathom she would be so clueless as to not understand when being repeatedly told to stop doing so.

Not to mention, the line she reacted to was, basically, "Don't post spoilers about this event and ruin the surprise for other people, got it?" To which she answered with a resounding "NOOOOOOOOOO"

More than once. Who in their right mind thinks this is acceptable and something that the performers will find funny, especially if they keep at it after their explicitly made wish to NOT do it?

kikuzinho wrote:
lol

I like the guy but he can't act this way. he is getting paid to keep his shit together during these events. It's not like she took a dump in the middle of the stage or something!

No, he's getting paid to entertain people, not to take crap from an idiot who is ruining his and his audience's mood. Could he have handled the situation better, with a more professional reaction? Sure, I mean this wasn't the best way to handle it. But celebrities are just people. If you want machines who smile and do what they're paid for whatever happens, and endure all sorts of shit because they're being paid for it, look at idols (especially female idols, guys are cut some slack), and how soulless and empty they can come across, and how their fans abuse them, citing the same reasons you wrote.

Performers way above Kamiya's caliber have been known to walk off stage when an idiot in the audience ruined their mood or the atmosphere for delivering a good performance. Hell, a conductor at a concert I was at a few months ago literally stopped the show midway to tell the audience that unless they stop talking and fidgeting the orchestra will get up and leave. (It was a spectacularly bad audience, absolutely undeserving of the breathtakingly beautiful performance we got.)
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:37 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
Seems like poor planning to "expect silence" during a Q&A session and not have considered contingencies if someone doesn't stay silent. That said, getting upset when things don't go your way is also a pretty unprofessional response. Assuming things went as described in the article, I would be pretty disappointed if a celebrity I admired acted in this manner.

I instantly thought of this:

https://youtu.be/ITBfwhp8XMY (NSFW: Language)

Kamiya's response might have more to do with interrupting the 'momentum' of the performance. Throwing off a loosely 'scripted' act is very frustrating, and may not be intentional by a fan, but you are right about on thing: Japanese VA's and artists ALWAYS have to appear professional when it comes to their fans. Their emotions and thoughts are strictly backseat when it comes to the identity their fans believe in.This can border on a purity of delusional proportions, but is essentially bread a butter for them. Western actors and comedians have a little more leeway to be irreverent, spiteful, and even stupid when pushed too far. This is not a moral issue but a very specific formula.
Shota4Lyfe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:59 am Reply with quote
His Levi came out lol. We dont have the full context, and maybe he had a bad day as well you never know, he's a human being afterall. Though that should teach people who like to spoil things a lesson.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
Kamiya's response might have more to do with interrupting the 'momentum' of the performance. Throwing off a loosely 'scripted' act is very frustrating, and may not be intentional by a fan, but you are right about on thing: Japanese VA's and artists ALWAYS have to appear professional when it comes to their fans. Their emotions and thoughts are strictly backseat when it comes to the identity their fans believe in.

You are right. I'm sure Kamiya had something in mind to do after that but because the person was not cooperating, he wasn't able to proceed with it. The first time there were a handful of people who responded, the next time a little less, and then the last time there was just that one girl. There's pretty much no way she could have not known that she wasn't supposed to respond, so I'm fairly certain she wanted to stand out. IIRC, her response wasn't immediate either. There was like a second of silence and then she responded.

Anyway, anyone who is a fan of Kamiya should know how serious he is. I mean, he appears playful on stage but he's mentioned many times that he's actually very quite irl. His professionalism is one of the things that fans admire, and he expects fans to be respectful too. While his emotions obviously got the better of him this time, I think everyone in the audience understood his reaction.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:36 pm Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:

Anyway, anyone who is a fan of Kamiya should know how serious he is.

Not really. You can be a fan of someone, because of their work, but you don't have to know them as a person. I love ABBA, I have most of their albums, but I don't know them as people.

You'll may be right, and she was a troll. But if you don't give everyone a script or a laugh track, and some in the audience do not 'perform' as you wanted; that is on you. While this is Japan, people are not clones of each other. People (humans) can interpret cues differently, think it is a trick question or statement, get lost in thought, be scared and do the same thing over and over; or be a troll.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:28 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Not really. You can be a fan of someone, because of their work, but you don't have to know them as a person. I love ABBA, I have most of their albums, but I don't know them as people.

You'll may be right, and she was a troll. But if you don't give everyone a script or a laugh track, and some in the audience do not 'perform' as you wanted; that is on you. While this is Japan, people are not clones of each other. People (humans) can interpret cues differently, think it is a trick question or statement, get lost in thought, be scared and do the same thing over and over; or be a troll.

Let me rephrase that... If you are big enough of a fan to attend an event, then you should know how serious he is.

She was definitely a troll. Well, I wouldn't say a troll because they probably just wanted to stand out and weren't doing it to be malicious. But anyway, think about it... There were probably close to 30,000 people at this event. You're going to tell me 29,999 people understood that Kamiya was serious about not responding and just one person didn't? While not impossible, it's highly unlikely. I also don't understand why you're defending this "fan" so much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2