• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hollywood's Tiger & Bunny Film Moves Forward With Global Road, Akiva Goldsman

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I am actually more curious to see how the movie will recreate the “commercially-heavy hero suits” that made its hero concept quite fun to watch, as long as they don’t make it TOO busy or balatant on the eyes (more like nascar suits?), it’s all good for me.

PS: Can we expect some fun logo usages in the movie, come on, multi-billion monopolies, this is your chance to promote! Anime hyper
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:13 pm Reply with quote
capt_bunny wrote:

I don't see why people think superheroes are for men. Weren't they originally for women to begin with? Plus, Hollywood should know that a lot of females are into superheroes and always have been. There's a large audience for both men and women.

Shhh don't point that out to the "diversity is killing comics" crowd.

Zeino wrote:

More to the point, Batman and Robin which is still the gold standard of what to avoid doing as a Super Hero film.

Not anymore in this post Josh Trank F4ntastic Four/Green Lantern, /X-Men Last Stand/Wolverine Origins/BvS/Catwoman world.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:38 pm Reply with quote
capt_bunny wrote:
I don't see why people think superheroes are for men. Weren't they originally for women to begin with? Plus, Hollywood should know that a lot of females are into superheroes and always have been. There's a large audience for both men and women.

No? Unless you're confusing superhero comic with romance pulp fiction books from the 50s which died off ages ago. Superheroes have always skewed majorly male, even the mainstream MCU movies are still mostly male. Comic books are obviously overwhelmingly skew male, despite what screeching you hear from the corners of the internet.

The only area that might skew female are those CW drama/sitcom superhero shows, but I don't follow those so I don't care.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:35 am Reply with quote
I'm going to stand back and ask the question no one seems to be asking, but should be:
Does Hollywood really need another superhero movie?
I don't know about anyone else, but seeing trailers for 2nd tier characters like Antman and Wasp is just...exhausting. I feel sorry for movie critics, who I imagine have to use a Clockwork Orange device on themselves to keep watching all of them at this point. A.O. Scott's review of Avengers: Infinity War was, basically, "It's Marvel's universe, we just live in it."
And I *like* superheroes! Always have, going back to the days where I was the only girl in the comic book store! Remember the excitement of the first Superman movie, the first Spider-Man movie, the first X-Men movie, the first Iron Man movie, even the first Avengers movie? I'll throw in Wonder Woman and Black Panther, too. Very few movies live up to that hype. Screenwriters and producers need to take a break. Build up anticipation, maybe do some parody, some deconstruction. Stop playing all the tropes straight all the time. If they want to adapt a Japanese property about superheroes, they really should consider the silly and satirical One Punch Man, and give everything else a break..

EricJ2 wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Yippie, the guy behind the awful Lost in Space movie.

Wow, somebody remembered Akiva Goldsman for Lost in Space and not Batman & Robin? Usually it's the other way around.
(It's the car. Chicks dig the car.)

He's the guy behind Batman and Robin? The movie that infamously decked out George Clooney in a muscled bat-suit complete with rubber nipples? This might be more gay than we think!
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:25 am Reply with quote
If they don’t cast Hiroyuki Sanada as Kotetsu then we’ve lost.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:26 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
capt_bunny wrote:

Shhh don't point that out to the "diversity is killing comics" crowd.

Men are still by and large the far bigger target audience. Even for Wonder Woman. The women that are into these things largely just like the way it's already catering towards men, like male readers/viewers of bishojou/romance genres don't mind the fact that it largely caters towards girls/women. They gravitate towards it for what it is already, not demanding that it should change to meet some wider hypothetical audience that won't care.

As far as anime superheroes and male characters, the female fans can fujosh just about anything together, even when it's not there. Sure the Japanese try and tap into that side of fandom with winks and nods in occasional series. But that sort of thing is niche to non-existent amongst general Western audiences. It ain't a market worth catering to. Even the out and out LGBT films tank at the box office. It'll just be turned into easy over-the-top gay jokes and innuendo already present in many a Hollywood comedy. Homoeroticism also has its function in cinema as a narrative device, but Tiger and Bunny ain't the place for it. It'll be a buddy-cop comedy, but with superheroes. The thing writes itself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2