• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Does Getting Free Copies Of Stuff Sway Opinions Of Critics?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scalfin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Also, for a lighter question, does Japan have raincoat technology? Every series seems to have a forgotten-umbrella-based subplot that relies on a character being assumed to have an umbrella and a character getting drenched when he doesn't.

{Edit} I edited your post and removed the flamebait from it. We are not dragging that shit storm into this thread or others - Psycho 101
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:02 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
Haha, you’re right, I was trying to think of something recent and universally deriled, but clearly couldn’t come up with anything. Any suggestions?

The obvious candidate would be Hand Shakers...

How about Vatican Miracle Examiner instead? It is more recent. If we are going to "most hated in recent memory" I would go for Taboo Tattoo because no doubt, many people watched more than one episode.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and Galaxy Fraulein Yuna Returns from ADV (which would later get mentioned in my Buried Garbage column).
You did a Buried Garbage on it? I thought Galaxy Fraulein Yuna was pretty good at best, and decent at worst.
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:54 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

How about Vatican Miracle Examiner instead? It is more recent. If we are going to "most hated in recent memory" I would go for Taboo Tattoo because no doubt, many people watched more than one episode.

Naria Girls. Although I don't think anyone watched that series for any reasons except morbid curiosity and memes.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:35 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:

How dare you disrespect Berserk CG like that.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Angel Investor wrote:
I hate when people use "the reviewer was bribed" as an argument for any review they disagree with. I was a video game journalist for a while and got some free download codes for games from time to time. Although it was nice to get free games, I never let it affect my opinion of the game. I never handed out 10/10 scores or neglected to point out the flaws. The lowest score I gave to a game was 6/10. I felt a little bad giving it such a mediocre score, since I had gotten the game for free, and the devs had asked for a link to the review when it was published. But any journalist who cares about integrity cannot sugarcoat their opinion or outright lie about it.

Perks and access might have been bigger in the past, back when websites weren't losing the fight against YouTube and Twitch reviewers, but I think most reviews are based on politics these days, rather than perks. Refusing to review Kingdom Come because it lacks diversity, or giving a game a higher score because it has a social progressive message or themes. These days you can usually tell what a site is going to give a game before it even comes out based purely on the themes surrounding the game. You could even expand this to movies as well. A lot of the times critic views and fan views are on the complete opposite parts of the spectrum.

-Stuart Smith
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I think a free copy doesn't influence much other than the $ value proposition, which reviewers generally try to avoid making but a lot of people read reviews to make.

I'd be more worried about say, being flown out to like some expensive retreat or hotel to watch some fancy theater viewing and it's a lot of amenities involved that go far beyond simply watching the movie. I don't think reviews on the US side hold that much sway nor that the US side is big enough to really afford to be doing that type of quid pro quo.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Just curious: can unwanted screeners be donated to libraries? You know, instead of just one more thing in garbage dumps.
teferi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:44 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
DerekL1963 wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
Haha, you’re right, I was trying to think of something recent and universally deriled, but clearly couldn’t come up with anything. Any suggestions?

Vatican Miracle Examiner redeemed itself to some degree by being so terrible that it was worth watching the trainwreck.
Ronolo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
Just curious: can unwanted screeners be donated to libraries? You know, instead of just one more thing in garbage dumps.

I am pretty sure you can not donate the hentai stuff to the libraries. Everything else should be fair game. I would not hurt to check.

Another option, could you not just give the stuff away since the other options was to simply either throw away in the trash or store it in a box. I did have a friend that did work with Blockbuster (Corporate) [May they rest in peace]. They also received screeners. They had a bunch of screener VHS tapes just lying around. Every now and then he took a couple of VHS tapes and just handed them out for free.

These VHS tape things had a scroll on the video that was annoying which said, "This video is for Promotional Purposes only. It is not meant to be sold." Some had the quote blinking, others had the quote scroll across the screen. It is a bit distracting sometimes on the video.

Of course, this was in the VHS days before DVD came into being. I have no idea if this is still the fact with DVD or Blu-Disk.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:14 am Reply with quote
^
That still pops up from time to time with BRs and DVDs, but it's (thankfully!) pretty rare.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:27 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Angel Investor wrote:
I hate when people use "the reviewer was bribed" as an argument for any review they disagree with. I was a video game journalist for a while and got some free download codes for games from time to time. Although it was nice to get free games, I never let it affect my opinion of the game. I never handed out 10/10 scores or neglected to point out the flaws. The lowest score I gave to a game was 6/10. I felt a little bad giving it such a mediocre score, since I had gotten the game for free, and the devs had asked for a link to the review when it was published. But any journalist who cares about integrity cannot sugarcoat their opinion or outright lie about it.

Perks and access might have been bigger in the past, back when websites weren't losing the fight against YouTube and Twitch reviewers, but I think most reviews are based on politics these days, rather than perks. Refusing to review Kingdom Come because it lacks diversity, or giving a game a higher score because it has a social progressive message or themes. These days you can usually tell what a site is going to give a game before it even comes out based purely on the themes surrounding the game. You could even expand this to movies as well. A lot of the times critic views and fan views are on the complete opposite parts of the spectrum.

-Stuart Smith

BIngo!

Case in point -- look what happened with the critical reviews for The Last Jedi.

The critics unanimously loved the film. It's sad to read reviews that acknowledge all the problems that film had structurally with the story and screenplay which SHOULD have sunk it below a C grade but they all applauded it like it was an A-grade film and they gave definite props to the film for the politics inserted rather obviously into the screenplay. It's unreal you get a 95% rating on a film that aside from the political propaganda was just a MESS of a movie and mucked up and completely scrapped the storyline that was set up in the previous installment of the series! Good luck trying to fashion a decent sequel from that trainwreck. Nothing was left to work with unless they completely ignore TLJ and restart the storyline at a different point. For all the hell the Prequels caught with bad acting and annoying comic relief characters, the storylines flowed seamlessly from one episode to the next. That cannot happen from Episodes 8 to 9 unless they do the "dreaded retcon" which I've learned to HATE from reading American comic books!

At least half the audience HATED the film and their dislike carried over onto Solo which is why that film recently bombed.

The other thing is the ominous presence of Disney which has a HUGE multimedia presence. Remember, this company owns radio stations, cable channels, a national network (ABC), and supplies content to channels that it doesn't fully own, too (TMC and Hallmark Channel). People like to get their freebies and some critics do give into the temptation and give good reviews to things they know aren't that good because they want to get the toys the companies give them as well as the invitations to red carpet premieres and press screenings! There are press corps members that would LOVE to be harder on Disney but they may work for an affiliate company that Disney OWNS, they're afraid they'll lose their access to Disney company officers if they become a "Disney hater." This is high school clique crap but that's the way it is.

Now, that's on the national scale for Hollywood films which are much bigger than the anime industry.

And with that, we transition back to anime and critical reviews of it --
For years, I had a subcription to Animerica, the defunct anime and manga enthusiast magazine published by Viz Media until the early 2000s. Until ANN and other websites picked up the slack and started reporting news daily that you would have to wait a month for in Animerica, that magazine did what ANN does for "free." For a long time, that was the main way people got information about anime and manga. It was the only magazine of its kind published regularly in North America. One thing I DID notice about Animerica was that they soft-pedaled a lot of reviews. I think this went on because A) Viz was producing their own anime line and didn't want to offend the competition by being harsher on reviews of licensed competitor product; and B) because the anime industry was so small and really just beginning to grow in the 1990s. They wanted to promote the growth of the US anime industry.
I really don't think there was any sinister intention behind this but there was definitely a lot of crappy anime produced that deserved harsher reviews than they got!
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:15 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

I really don't think there was any sinister intention behind this but there was definitely a lot of crappy anime produced that deserved harsher reviews than they got!

That's ascribing a motive where there simply may not have been one. Reviewers all have to start somewhere, and first times are usually more optimistic and appreciative than reviews a few years down the line. You either like something or you don't, and if you didn't like anime from your first time, you wouldn't stick with it. And if you like it, you have no frame of reference, nothing to compare it to.

Following a little ambivalent dabbling with Transformers Takara, dub only Sailor Moon, and a couple of Warners DBZ movies, my first anime reviews were for Vampire Princess Miyu, Love Hina, Kiddy Grade, and Tenchi Muyo, and I loved all four. After all, that was all I had. If I had to review them now, I'd be a lot more critical.

EDIT: Except for Tenchi Muyo, which is one of my perennial classic faves.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:27 am Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:
Following a little ambivalent dabbling with Transformers Takara, dub only Sailor Moon, and a couple of Warners DBZ movies, my first anime reviews were for Vampire Princess Miyu, Love Hina, Kiddy Grade, and Tenchi Muyo, and I loved all four. After all, that was all I had. If I had to review them now, I'd be a lot more critical.

Maybe, maybe not. My very first review for ANN was one of the singles for Kiddy Grade, and my mostly-high opinion of the series hasn't waned on repeat viewings over the years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Similarly, I work at a movie theater, and I get see everything for free (except Fathom Events), but I guess I still choose which movies to spend my time with. I like discovering some films I never would've seen (much less in the theater) if I didn't work here. I've found some hidden gems, but there's also some films I've seen that I'm thankful I never had to pay for. I would absolutely hate the thought of seeing EVERYTHING that comes out, because I'm completely uninterested in at least half of the movies that play where I work (I'm more willing to give them a chance if my favorite critics like them). I'm glad I'm at least in a pick/choose position instead of a critic's position that REQUIRES me to see everything. Maybe if I was being paid to review movies, I'd feel differently...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3