• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Best and Worst Manga of 2018 Results - Comic-Con International

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheJaceX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Worst Manga:
Fire Punch

Lmao, someone doesn't like movies. Need a bit more Star Wars in their life.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I am curious to know what it is about Fruits Basket Another by Natsuki Takaya that it gets lumped in the word manga for any age category, and I am not surprise This Corner of the World by Fumiyo Kouno is listed as being unappreciated? It looks to be a title that would be underrated in the United States.

On another note it's nice to see Laid Back Camp by Afro as being one of the best manga, and it is a good read for teen fiction. Also, I am on board with Witch Hat Atelier by Kamome SHIRAHAMA as being one of the most anticipated manga to be publish in the U.S

Still I would like to know what why the manga would chosen for these categories instead of just seeing a list.[/i][/i]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:26 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Kakegurui, Detective Conan, Silver Spoon that are for Shonen (kids/teens) are "Series for Grown-Ups" in the US?

Land of the Lustrous, Delicious in Dungeon, Laid-Back Camp, Dead Dead Demon's Dededede Destruction that are for Seinen (young adults) are "Series for Kids/Teens" in the US?

Maybe there some mess up when writing the article and there will be a correction from ANN. If not, who chose this manga demographics in the US? Are they reading the stories?

Just here to clarify that the groupings are based on the PowerPoint from the panel and not an error/mistake in the article.

Thank you for the clarification.
I was just curious because some of them like Detective Conan are really baffling and made me believe that the person that chose the groupings didn't read all the manga but looks like that was the difference of perception.

Still some of the groupings where a little strange.
Once again i am surprised of differences of what is appropriate for age groups between US and Japan and even Europe.
Difference of cultures are really a interesting thing.
Is always great to debate that in this forums.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Kakegurui, Detective Conan, Silver Spoon that are for Shonen (kids/teens) are "Series for Grown-Ups" in the US?

Land of the Lustrous, Delicious in Dungeon, Laid-Back Camp, Dead Dead Demon's Dededede Destruction that are for Seinen (young adults) are "Series for Kids/Teens" in the US?

Maybe there some mess up when writing the article and there will be a correction from ANN. If not, who chose this manga demographics in the US? Are they reading the stories?

Just here to clarify that the groupings are based on the PowerPoint from the panel and not an error/mistake in the article.

Thank you for the clarification.
I was just curious because some of them like Detective Conan are really baffling and made me believe that the person that chose the groupings didn't read all the manga but looks like that was the difference of perception.

Still some of the groupings where a little strange.
Once again i am surprised of differences of what is appropriate for age groups between US and Japan and even Europe.
Difference of cultures are really a interesting thing.
Is always great to debate that in this forums.

It can be an interesting topic to discuss when I think about it.

Still for me personally I would consider both Detective Conan and Laid Back Camp to be stories for teens (or YA as the novel industry likes to refer to those books). In the case for Laid Back Camp the reason I thought of the story as being for teens despite it being publish for those who are either late in the adolescent stage of young adults was because it stars teens who are still in high school as appose to people late in their adolescent who have left high school.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:

Still for me personally I would consider both Detective Conan and Laid Back Camp to be stories for teens (or YA as the novel industry likes to refer to those books). In the case for Laid Back Camp the reason I thought of the story as being for teens despite it being publish for those who are either late in the adolescent stage of young adults was because it stars teens who are still in high school as appose to people late in their adolescent who have left high school.

Laid Back Camp can be consider for Young adult more because of the themes than the age of the characters.
This slice of life/slow paced comedy manga are usually marketing for young adults in Japan. If you look at manga magazines, most slice of life/slow paced comedy manga are published in seinen magazines. For example Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid are also in a seinen magazine.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:

Laid Back Camp can be consider for Young adult more because of the themes than the age of the characters.
This slice of life/slow paced comedy manga are usually marketing for young adults in Japan. If you look at manga magazines, most slice of life/slow paced comedy manga are published in seinen magazines. For example Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid are also in a seinen magazine.

Yes! You are right, Johnny. There is more to Laid Back camp being consider a YA story other then the ages of the protagonist and main character. I didn't know how I could express the themes of the story at the time so I left it at just the story starring people who are in their adolescents. However when I think about it I could have just left it at both the age of the characters and the themes the story shares.

Also, I never thought that a lot of slice of life stories were publish under manga targeting late teens and young adults, but it makes perfect since given the nature of the genre.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Fruits Basket Another by Natsuki Takaya, published by Yen Press Brigid's pick
Baccano! by Ryohgo Narita, Shinta Fujimoto and Katsumi Enami, published by Yen Press Rob's pick

Can anyone explain why Fruits Basket Another and Baccano! were ranked among the worst titles?

They're both series I adore as anime and particularly in Baccano!'s case I've been looking forward to reading more of it.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:58 pm Reply with quote
The category of Worst manga for Anyone, Any Age makes me wonder if there's a mistake. Honestly, sounds to me like a rather immature take on this kind of lists, which otherwise are great choices on other categories.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:08 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:

I guess it is mainly the western habit of associating the age of the characters (or their apparent age in the case of Land of the Lustrous) to the age of the intended audience. This western habit is particularly problematic when one looks at manga since its very common in adult manga to feature children and teenager protagonists. Well, it is now not uncommon in Western Literature and Film to feature children protagonists in works aimed at adults either but these stereotypes still persist in the minds of a lot of westerners.

Yuru Camp is obviously a seinen manga made for men who are interested in camping but since it's characters are teenager girls they think the audience for it are teenager girls. Apparently even after one and a half decade of moe shows many western anime fans still haven't understood that currently slice of life anime shows featuring teenager girls as main characters are more often than not aimed at an adult male audience.

Although this theory cannot explain why Conan and Silver Spoon were categorized as adult. I guess it is because they represent genres that might appeal more for older people. Silver Spoon's take on rural life might appeal more to old Americans who often lived in rural areas when they were younger while Conan's genre of detective stories are a well worn genre in Western fiction and should appeal to older readers in that sense. While the moe aspects of Yuru Camp will mainly appeal to younger people more used to the contemporary sensibilities of Japanese visual culture.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EducatedRuffian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:53 am Reply with quote
TheJaceX wrote:
Worst Manga:
Fire Punch

Lmao, someone doesn't like movies. Need a bit more Star Wars in their life.

Star Wars was the reason I dropped it lol.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:25 am Reply with quote
To the people wondering about why Laid-Back Camp and Case Closed are listed where they are, it likely has nothing to do with their target demographics in Japan and everything to do with target demographics stateside, since they’ve listed the US publisher in the article. LBC/Yuru Camp runs in a seinen magazine, but is pretty much harmless in terms of objectionable content, unless you’re afraid it might entice someone to go camping. Plus, younger kids tend to like reading about characters a little older than themselves, so I think it would be good for a middle schooler who likes the outdoors.

Case Closed, on the other hand, is targetted at younger readers, but considering the violent and bizarre murders that often take place, cannot be easily marketed to small kids stateside.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:03 am Reply with quote
[quote="Jose Cruz"]
Jonny Mendes wrote:

I guess it is mainly the western habit of associating the age of the characters (or their apparent age in the case of Land of the Lustrous) to the age of the intended audience. This western habit is particularly problematic when one looks at manga since its very common in adult manga to feature children and teenager protagonists. Well, it is now not uncommon in Western Literature and Film to feature children protagonists in works aimed at adults either but these stereotypes still persist in the minds of a lot of westerners.

This is precisely it, and it's problematic in general. Titles like The Book Thief were originally shelved in middle grade because of the age of the protagonist even though that is not a children's book. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie is another example.

My library shelves all graphic novels together, but others I've been to have all the manga in the teen section, regardless of content.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:34 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:

I guess it is mainly the western habit of associating the age of the characters (or their apparent age in the case of Land of the Lustrous) to the age of the intended audience. This western habit is particularly problematic when one looks at manga since its very common in adult manga to feature children and teenager protagonists.

Yuru Camp is obviously a seinen manga made for men who are interested in camping but since it's characters are teenager girls they think the audience for it are teenager girls. Apparently even after one and a half decade of moe shows many western anime fans still haven't understood that currently slice of life anime shows featuring teenager girls as main characters are more often than not aimed at an adult male audience.

I don't see how this is a problem really, or more like I don't feel like that is a problem. I don't think this mindset is going to change anytime soon just because a half a decade now we have been slice of life anime starring people in their adolescent stages appearing on television, because even though we are familiar with those shows and their attended target demography, the wider population is not aware. Plus is this really a tendency for people to have this mindset in the Western hemisphere, or are you just talking the U.S?

tasogarenootome wrote:
Yuru Camp runs in a seinen magazine, but is pretty much harmless in terms of objectionable content, unless you’re afraid it might entice someone to go camping. Plus, younger kids tend to like reading about characters a little older than themselves, so I think it would be good for a middle schooler who likes the outdoors.

That is so true, and I see this tendency with kids who like to watch the Marvel Cinematic Universe despite ratings saying otherwise. I also agree Laid Back Camp would be an excellent manga to share with children who are attending middle school. Anime smile If I had a c child or children I would not mind sharing this manga with them.
RitsuLaw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:45 am Reply with quote
I'm just glad to see Land of the Lustrous up there, and also, I Hear the Sunspot is indeed an underappreciated gem, I wish it had at least a ova.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:53 am Reply with quote
Here in the forums we are prohibited from posting lists without explanation of why the items are on the list.

If I didn't already understand why, these lists would explain that rule, especially the "worst" list.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3