• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Does It Cost To Remaster A Classic Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#alfrescoCR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:05 am Reply with quote
so basically, you're telling me that sunrise studios was been throwing a lot of moneys just for them to make a remastered versions of all their works that they've been releasing recently on bluray? Damn they must be rich.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:39 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
There are some old 16mm shows that desperately need new scans. Sailor Moon is an obvious example. Look what happened when they tried to upscale that ancient 2003 remaster. The movies (shot on 35mm) did get new scans though from the original negatives, and look fantastic. Toei has to still have the original film for the TV show. They're just too lazy to do a new scan.

Pretty much this, when the 90s Laserdisc releases looks better than later formats, you know it's a problem.

Comparison: https://twitter.com/renren0718/status/877065902755205121
chronos02

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:34 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
There are some old 16mm shows that desperately need new scans. Sailor Moon is an obvious example. Look what happened when they tried to upscale that ancient 2003 remaster. The movies (shot on 35mm) did get new scans though from the original negatives, and look fantastic. Toei has to still have the original film for the TV show. They're just too lazy to do a new scan.

Pretty much this, when the 90s Laserdisc releases looks better than later formats, you know it's a problem.

Comparison: https://twitter.com/renren0718/status/877065902755205121

In this specific case, the LD looks worse than the BD, it's blurry, the color is burned, and I can see clear ghosting or line diplopia, or however it's called for film. Though it's true the BD has an issue with contrast and color in general, it's still much better than the LD and DVD; the image is so much sharper, and they managed to correct part of the scanlines present, unless those were intentional and they cleared them up too much.
batwing321

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:34 am Reply with quote
The 20th Pokemon film's Japanese BR had a rescanned version of the first episode, and it's glorious. I'd kill for everything up through the first league to get the same treatment...
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:19 pm Reply with quote
This particular Answerman got my attention, because I've been watching a lot of special feature/documentaries on film restoration and also how they remastered old and classic movies. I've watched documentaries like The Godfather film restoration, Universal film classic film restoration, James Bond 007: license to restore feature, and others like this one for example. Now I'm not exactly an expert on film restoration but I can kind of back up what Justin said on this Answerman article.

Justin wrote:
Digital scans are typically billed by footage -- literally the number of feet of film that's being scanned. This can be a little tricky to figure out, but generally 100 feet is about 2 minutes 45 seconds of footage for 35mm, and 1 minute 40 seconds for 16mm. That means that a standard TV episode would be around 800 feet of 16mm film, and a 90-minute feature would be around 8,100 feet of 35mm film. Costs vary wildly by lab; a typical 2K 35mm film scan would cost $0.25 - 0.40 per foot for 2K ($2,025-3,240 for a 90-minute feature) and $0.50 - 0.60 for 4K ($4,050 - $4,860 for a 90-minute feature). 16mm is low-resolution enough that most labs won't bother with 4K, but 2K would cost around the same per foot as 35mm (coming out to $240-320 per episode).

I can imagine how expensive and how much work those film they have to go through to the scanners and a lots of work are put to care and handle the film to make sure they'r not damaged in anyway.

Justin also wrote:
All of this adds up to quite a bit of cash: US$5,000 and up for a feature, and $1,700 and up for a TV episode. You can see how for a very long series, the costs would quickly become overwhelming. This is why many content owners decide to just upscale the standard definition masters if they're decent

I don't know if any of you are fans of Star Trek (particularly, The Next Generation arc), but did you know the cost of remastering TNG: $70,000 for each episode. So for anime, I can see why it's cheaper to do upscaling SD material rather then an HD re-master. To be honest, older animation don't really benefit a lot from HD re-master, I know this from experience and as much as I like the HD clean-up on Ranma 1/2 on blu-ray (the same can be said for Gatchaman on blu-ray). But overall, I don't see that much benefit of giving older animation an HD makeover (yes, you can clean up the image as in make the image clearer, fix color deterioration, "color correction", and give it a brand new look for new generation of anime fan. But I don't see any increase in detail when a older anime is given an HD makeover).

Justin you wrote:
Old film has a tendency to really produce some unexpected color, and it simply must be adjusted to bring the image into line with what people expect to see on a modern HD television. Vintage Kodak film stocks in particular are notorious for colors that fade unevenly after decades of storage, eventually causing every color but red to fade away entirely.

Regarding the bold part I highlighted. Ah yes, color fading. That's the reason we have "color correcting" as part of film restoration and remastering for as I believe Justin pointed that out on one of his recent Answerman column. Let me cite this article from the National Archive:

The National Archive wrote:
Color fading is an issue because of the introduction of Kodak’s Eastmancolor in 1950. Eastmancolor was a huge deal at the time because it used a single strip of film rather than the three separate film rolls required to create a Technicolor print. 1950s Eastmancolor prints were probably gorgeous when they were first screened, but since the dyes were unstable, most of us have only seen them as magenta.

It was not until the late 1970s that filmmakers became widely aware that their works were fading and raised the alarm. At the forefront of color preservation efforts was Martin Scorsese, who famously said that he shot Raging Bull (1980) in black and white “to avoid the color problem entirely.”

Article source: The National Archive article: Film preservation 101: Why are old films sometimes pink?

If you want a visual example of how a color faded film look and with color correction applied, watch this video and this special feature from Criterion Collection about restoring Richard III (which include a segment on color correction).

Justin wrote:
Finally, audio needs to be digitized and resynchronized to the final video. Sometimes this is a cinch: just capture the old master tape, line it up, and export. But often far more needs to be done: perhaps the tape has stretched and no longer synchronizes. Or maybe it has drop-outs that need to be patched from something. Maybe the only audio source that could be found was an old film optical track that sounds terrible and needs major sonic restoration applied. You never know what you're getting 'till you start working. Audio restoration isn't cheap either.

Ah yes, sound restoration and remastering. I'm going to use this Disney special feature on how Disney did sound restoration for Sleeping Beauty as an example. I'm going to assume this is the same method used for older anime, is that correct?

But when it comes to remastering older film, it can be a bit of a mixed blessing. I've seen film remastering which doesn't look right. I remember my mom complain about the color restoration on the Godfather blu-ray compared to the early 2000's DVD release. And yes, I have seen old film remastering which looks beautiful and the films/movie look very "brand new". So yes, I'm happy if older anime get a digital remaster, but when it comes to color correction it can divide fans that grew up watching it pre-HD.

Overall, this is probably the few Answerman article which spark my attention. Hence why I wanted to give more detail on how restoration and remastering work. Thank you to Allan for asking that question.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2