• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: BPO Watchdog Group Discusses Goblin Slayer Content Controversy

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:22 am Reply with quote
@ Kadmos: To some degree, yes, as one of the major characters later on's backstory would be watered down immensely without it.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:23 am Reply with quote
Hey, the BPO isn't as bad as we all thought they were!

I wonder just how many of the complaints they publish they actually agree with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:56 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Curious thing about the light novels and manga: would outright omitting the implication of rape and sexual assault lessen the dark and violent essence of the series?

Only watched the anime, but I'd have to say that such scenes are not really about creating a dark series for the sake of being dark, but I'm of the opinion that it was intended to make you feel disgust and hatred for Goblins and what they do, and thus sympathize with the main character's primary stone cold motivation. Thus episode 1 had a reason for going as far as it did, where it was intended to be portrayed to an uncomfortable degree.

In that regard, I believe episode 1 accomplished that adequately enough. Subsequent episodes have so far moved away from its actual depiction in episode 1 to only implying it visually in tamer ways when you see dead bodies or rescue someone.

As even the resident ANN reviewer assigned to this attests to - they harp over and over as to why everyone supposedly ignores the goblin threat and treats it as no big deal (which has been addressed several times by commentors explaining why this is actually consistent with reality) - because that's the impression that episode 1 intentionally made, for which the reviewer cannot let go of. And that's precisely what makes Goblin Slayer do what he does and why he has had to go it alone.

So if such scenes from episode 1 were omitted, then I'd feel that, yes, the series would lose something. It's the same difference as just hearing about crime from someone and reading it in the newspaper, versus witnessing it happen right in front of you. The experience of it would provoke an entirely different level of reaction in you. Such events are also life-changing for many people. And so, similarly, in an animated show, the level to which you portray something will create a different reaction in the viewer. In this case it would be how you view the threat of goblins and what must be done about them.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:24 pm Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
Ffs some people just have too much damn time on their hands and think it's perfectly fine to go around and ruin other peoples time, hobbies, or what have you just to make other's just as miserable as they are.

Agreed. It's like a rant you'd find on CafeMom or seeing bingo breeders harassing childfree couples about their decision not to have kids. These types just want everyone else to feel like them: absolutely miserable.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:36 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of nice to see the BPO officially say what amounts to "it wasn't meant for kids in the first place." I can understand raising concerns when it comes to shows for children, but I have to wonder how many of the complaints the BPO gets come from parents that don't actually watch the show or realize that cartoon =/= meant for kids.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:01 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
Russian anime media are also often boring, but for other reasons.

In what way are they boring, and what are the reasons? I'm curious since that's something that I never see, since I don't speak Russian.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I feel like some of the commenters here didn't read the actual article. This isn't about a bunch of angry mothers writing letters about "won't someone think of the children", it's the BPO having a discussion on the content and finding that it was handled appropriately and that no action needs to be taken.

Quote:
The guild, made up of women,

I haven't seen the anime so not sure if it changed but I did read vol 1 of the novel and a few chapters of the manga and there were 3 girls and 1 male in the party (not a guild; the guild is where they get quests from). The male was the warrior who basically initiated the whole quest.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:54 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
@Hellsoldier Oh, I have heard a lot about Japanese morality. But it seems that I am too used to the American media, which consider half of the anime "problematic". Russian anime media are also often boring, but for other reasons.

Oh I can imagine. Or try to, at least.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't expecting to see the day when the BPO is actually in the right.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:00 am Reply with quote
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:
@ Kadmos: To some degree, yes, as one of the major characters later on's backstory would be watered down immensely without it.

Showing a character getting raped or sexually/physically abused is more intense than merely describing or implying they were. Personally, I prefer it not be shown.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Showing a character getting raped or sexually/physically abused is more intense than merely describing or implying they were. Personally, I prefer it not be shown.

I think that is exactly the point though. A visual medium presents a much greater opportunity to capitalize on a scene like that. Implying it would have greatly lessened the impact.

I do hear you that this was not your preference which is fine. Personally, it is a pet peeve of mine that I am watching something and the creators opt to describe something instead of show it through visuals.
Cave

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:05 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:

Quote:
The guild, made up of women,

I haven't seen the anime so not sure if it changed but I did read vol 1 of the novel and a few chapters of the manga and there were 3 girls and 1 male in the party (not a guild; the guild is where they get quests from). The male was the warrior who basically initiated the whole quest.

Yeah, I was going to point this out. That poor guy gets ripped to shreds more violently than any of the girls but that doesn't go along with the "violence against women" narrative so I guess that's why it was omitted.

The first episode was so obviously just to get attention. The rest of the episodes so far have been much less violent/sexual and pretty enjoyable. Especially since it has the elf girl who is a fun character.
HK16

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:38 am Reply with quote
I'm glad one committee member had the sense to know that its a late night show and what that entails. What would be the point if it still affected people?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2