• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bloomberg: Japan Mobile Games Lose Market Share to Chinese, S. Korean Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:21 am Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
I don't know what to say, Japan falling its smartphone trend to an Korea and China is no sense to me at all.

Did Korea and China defeated Japan over its smartphone, because they are known for large amount of innovations than Japan had?

Japan was an innovator in the field of cell phones for years. If you recall ten years ago, the famous "Gara-phones" with a usable web interface and mobile wallet. The emergence of smartphones caught them off guard, and because networks were so proprietary to the functions of those feature phones, it took longer for the market and consumers to adopt.

It helps that Korean smartphones have a majority of the international market share outside of China, and thus influence the development of software. Of course, China just steals everything.

Aca Vuksa wrote:
Korea has K-Pop, K-Drama and MMORPG while China has amzing culture and historical presevations. But yeah, i wonder if Chinese Pop culture will start rival Japanese & Korean Pop culture too?

When the Chinese communist government has a legacy of cultural genocide against its own people and heritage, and could do it all over again, I don't think so. If any pop culture comes out of China, it'll be from Taiwan, which has a lot of Japanese influence from being a former colony.

Last edited by Compelled to Reply on Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:10 pm; edited 5 times in total
Mistaken

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:31 am Reply with quote
korean and china power RISE! love it

chinese mobile games aren't that interesting but korean mobile games have been successful especially when they adapt webtoon and make them into games, showing how far they'll go to make as much money from this industry.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:01 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if this was, at least in part, simply due to the fact that most Japanese smartphone games are region-locked which puts a pretty severe limitation on their user base. I play a number of them but I have to sideload the apks - something most people won't bother to do (or are not able to do, if they lack the know-how). Sure, a few of them have been released in other regions with localizations and all, but most of them are Japan only. Meanwhile, in my experience Chinese or Korean mobage are not region locked, which makes it possible for them to address a much wider audience.

So yet again market shows that insularity and stubborn refusal to get on with the times will eventually prove a disadvantage...

Azurlane and Girls Frontline has region lock, both are Chinese made. I mean, that fiasco over an artist and Azur Lane happened in Korean server only.

Do remember that NetEase is BIG and has long history of handling multi-region servers.
Heishi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:13 am Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:
Heishi wrote:
Felicity dash wrote:
I can somewhat relate. The games are fun and actually quite addicting but what sells it for me at least is the equality of the characters. Female characters get the same chances as male characters & it’s relatively cheap to buy items for summoning characters.

And Onmyoji & Food Fantasy seem to be a major fan favorite over at pixiv

But is there a Japanese equivalent?

Japanese equivalent of what? If you mean to compare gatcha games, then look on the google play store or Apple`s store.

I'm mean in terms of female equality.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Rednimue wrote:

I don't know where you were during the whole 6th generation (PS2, Xbox, GC) but the Japanese developers' decline started during the 7th generation (Xbox 360, Ps3, Wii) and one of the main reason was/is the rising of the mobile games market ... they were still going strong on both home and portable consoles up until 2005 - 2006

With Japan always having been iffy towards consoles unlike North America and Europe I'd be surprised if japanese publishers were actually doing good business there even during the 6th generation especially with the fact that the PS2 was the only system doing numbers anywhere.

Plus even with them losing market shares to China and South Korea I don't know why you think they'd just up and stop chasing after a market that's still profitable to them just to go back to something that while profitable to them isn't as profitable to them in their home market.
Rednimue

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:07 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Rednimue wrote:

I don't know where you were during the whole 6th generation (PS2, Xbox, GC) but the Japanese developers' decline started during the 7th generation (Xbox 360, Ps3, Wii) and one of the main reason was/is the rising of the mobile games market ... they were still going strong on both home and portable consoles up until 2005 - 2006

With Japan always having been iffy towards consoles unlike North America and Europe I'd be surprised if japanese publishers were actually doing good business there even during the 6th generation especially with the fact that the PS2 was the only system doing numbers anywhere.

Neutral Neutral Neutral

Japanese Iffy with consoles ? are we talking about the same Japan here ? the same Japan that during the 6th generation made up 50% of the gaming market (in a time where consoles were triving in Japan and abroad, the PC market was in decline and the mobile scene wasn't a thing yet... ), peaking in 2007, followed by a steady decline ...
Cause before the advent of Mobile gaming the main gaming machines in Japan had always been the consoles (Home and Handheld) and the highest output of developed games were console games.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

Plus even with them losing market shares to China and South Korea I don't know why you think they'd just up and stop chasing after a market that's still profitable to them just to go back to something that while profitable to them isn't as profitable to them in their home market.

You said so yourself ... mine was a snarky comment, not based on mere profitability ... The mobile Market has sucked so many resources and talented developers from the console Market in Japan and now that they are facing some difficulties I ironically suggested to go back to develop quality console games (What they do best) instead of crappy, cash grab games for mobile (99% of what it has to offer).

Pure ironical wishful thinking on my part ... nothing more, nothing less
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:56 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Felicity dash wrote:
Heishi wrote:
Felicity dash wrote:
I can somewhat relate. The games are fun and actually quite addicting but what sells it for me at least is the equality of the characters. Female characters get the same chances as male characters & it’s relatively cheap to buy items for summoning characters.

And Onmyoji & Food Fantasy seem to be a major fan favorite over at pixiv

But is there a Japanese equivalent?

Japanese equivalent of what? If you mean to compare gatcha games, then look on the google play store or Apple`s store.

I'm mean in terms of female equality.

Its ten days late, I know. But yeah. Its actually a lot more forgiving than a lot of the japanese gatcha games. I`ve been playing Food Fantasy more than I have with FEH. And while I haven`t gotten any URs in that game yet...I`m not angry with all the SRs I`ve gotten. And like how in FEH & FGO has all these crazy banners for female characters, (although FGO has gotten a bit better, FEH is notorious with this especially since its mostly 3 females vs 1 male in each of its special new banners) Its definitely far more balanced. Though don`t be fooled some of them are completely androgynous, so you`d never guess that Sashimi and Long Bao are both in fact male.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2