• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Debuts CG Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya Anime's English-Dubbed Teaser

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:21 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
IceKirby wrote:
Has Shun been officially confirmed as a girl or is this just an assumption based on the voice and visual? I mean, I also thought that was the case, until Marin appeared with the mask. In the original work, female Saints must use a mask, and Shun is not using one here, so either they removed this rule for this adaptation or Shun is just more effeminate than ever.

It's confirmed. The show's story editor/head writer gave a pretty eye roll worthy reason:

Quote:
The big question: "Why change Andromeda?"

This one is all on me.

When we started developing this new updated series, we wanted to change very little. The core concepts of Saint Seiya that make it beloved are so strong. Most of it holds up well even thirty years later.

The only thing that concerned me: the Bronze Knights with Pegasus Seiya are all dudes.

Now the series has always had fantastic strong dynamic female characters, and it reflects in the tremendous number of women who are passionate about the Seiya manga and anime.

Today the world has changed. Guys and girls working side-by-side is the default. We're USED to seeing it. Right or wrong, the audience could interpret an all-male team as us trying to make a STATEMENT about something.

And maybe 30 years ago seeing women punching and kicking each other wasn't a thing. But today? Not the same.

https://twitter.com/eugeneson/status/1071608437606309888

I don't think Eugene realized that gender bending a character is very much a statement in its own right. Let alone it being the extremely effeminate one. Don't ask why Marin's still in a mask if lady saints are no biggie in this version.
Yeah, I don't actually think gender bending one of the main cast was a bad idea perse, letting there be a main female saint is a good idea. But I feel like choosing Shun for that is taking the easy way out and honestly the worst possible choice BECAUSE he's the effeminate one
Transformers03

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:29 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
IceKirby wrote:
Has Shun been officially confirmed as a girl or is this just an assumption based on the voice and visual? I mean, I also thought that was the case, until Marin appeared with the mask. In the original work, female Saints must use a mask, and Shun is not using one here, so either they removed this rule for this adaptation or Shun is just more effeminate than ever.

It's confirmed. The show's story editor/head writer gave a pretty eye roll worthy reason:

I don't think Eugene realized that gender bending a character is very much a statement in its own right. Let alone it being the extremely effeminate one. Don't ask why Marin's still in a mask if lady saints are no biggie in this version.

I actually think Eugene Son gave a very thoughtful, and interesting response on Twitter. He goes through the reason why they felt they needed more female representation, and explains why he and his team believe that changing Shun into woman was the best option. He seems genuine in his responses, and he does seem like he simply wanted to have more female characters in the show.

Seriously guys, I get where most of you are coming from. I also understand how problematic changing an androgynous character into a woman can be, especially towards those who identify as LGBT. I am also aware that what made Shun popular was because he was a strong male who wasn't masculine. I get all that, but you have to understand that a lot of these decisions on TV shows are made with a lot of thought. None of these guys want to destroy you childhood or anything, they just want to make something people would like (or sell).

If you find it problematic, then express it to them in a kindly manner.
IceKirby

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:35 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
IceKirby wrote:

Quote:
The big question: "Why change Andromeda?"

This one is all on me.

When we started developing this new updated series, we wanted to change very little. The core concepts of Saint Seiya that make it beloved are so strong. Most of it holds up well even thirty years later.

The only thing that concerned me: the Bronze Knights with Pegasus Seiya are all dudes.

Now the series has always had fantastic strong dynamic female characters, and it reflects in the tremendous number of women who are passionate about the Seiya manga and anime.

Today the world has changed. Guys and girls working side-by-side is the default. We're USED to seeing it. Right or wrong, the audience could interpret an all-male team as us trying to make a STATEMENT about something.

And maybe 30 years ago seeing women punching and kicking each other wasn't a thing. But today? Not the same.

https://twitter.com/eugeneson/status/1071608437606309888

They will probably just create some excuse for Marin to use a mask then.

In any case, I can't say I like his reasoning, even if I don't have anything against diversity inclusion. Considering it's a remake, it will just feel like they are giving the achievements from a male character to a female one, instead of having a female character having her own achievements. When I think about it, even Saint Seiya Omega did this better.

There's also the part where they want a woman "punching and kicking", but then they choose the one character that doesn't like doing that. Gives the impression they don't truly think of them as equal, they are just filling some quota, and even risking some stereotypifying at that.
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:38 am Reply with quote
Transformers03 wrote:

I actually think Eugene Son gave a very thoughtful, and interesting response on Twitter. He goes through the reason why they felt they needed more female representation, and explains why he and his team believe that changing Shun into woman was the best option. He seems genuine in his responses, and he does seem like he simply wanted to have more female characters in the show.

Seriously guys, I get where most of you are coming from. I also understand how problematic changing an androgynous character into a woman can be, especially towards those who identify as LGBT. I am also aware that what made Shun popular was because he was a strong male who wasn't masculine. I get all that, but you have to understand that a lot of these decisions on TV shows are made with a lot of thought. None of these guys want to destroy you childhood or anything, they just want to make something people would like (or sell).

If you find it problematic, then express it to them in a kindly manner.
I think wanting to make one of the main characters a girl was a good thing, and I get his reasoning, I just think Shun was a terrible choice and they clearly didn't think about some of the implications of changing the least traditionally masculine member of the group into a woman. I don't think it came from a place of malice or ill intent reading his replies on twitter, but that doesn't mean it still isn't an ill conceived decision that could've been handled better
Transformers03

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:51 am Reply with quote
Aaronrules380 wrote:
I think wanting to make one of the main characters a girl was a good thing, and I get his reasoning, I just think Shun was a terrible choice and they clearly didn't think about some of the implications of changing the least traditionally masculine member of the group into a woman. I don't think it came from a place of malice or ill intent reading his replies on twitter, but that doesn't mean it still isn't an ill conceived decision that could've been handled better

See, I get that reason. I totally understand that reasoning, but he does go into detail of going through the other options. While I totally get how problematic it is turning Shun into a woman is, were the other options for more female representation any better? I guess they would have been less controversial, however I wouldn't say it would have been necessary better.

People will say that they chose the easy way out, but honestly don't know what I would've done in his place.
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:54 am Reply with quote
Transformers03 wrote:
Aaronrules380 wrote:

See, I get that reason. I totally understand that reasoning, but he does go into detail of going through the other options. While I totally get how problematic it is turning Shun into a woman is, were the other options for more female representation any better? I guess they would have been less controversial, however I wouldn't say it would have been necessary better.

People will say that they chose the easy way out, but honestly don't know what I would've done in his place.
Make literally any other member of the main cast into a girl instead? Shun was literally the worst choice because he was the low hanging fruit in this scenario

Making Ikki a girl would've been a way better and more interesting choice, though I guess they might not want to do that since he's the villain of the first arc, so they'd be putting off the female main character until the second season, but Hyoga or Shiryuu could've worked and would've still been better choices. Hell, I'd be fine with female Seiya too, but I get that going in that direction with the lead might've been a bit too controversial
Transformers03

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:03 am Reply with quote
Aaronrules380 wrote:
Make literally any other member of the main cast into a girl instead? Shun was literally the worst choice because he was the low hanging fruit in this scenario

Yeah, I guess, but I believe that would carry it's own set of controversy. Fans would have been upset about that if they did it, and I bet you some would find their own reasons to find that problematic.

I think they were in a no win scenario either way.

Quote:

Making Ikki a girl would've been a way better and more interesting choice, though I guess they might not want to do that since he's the villain of the first arc, so they'd be putting off the female main character until the second season, but Hyoga or Shiryuu could've worked and would've still been better choices. Hell, I'd be fine with female Seiya too, but I get that going in that direction with the lead might've been a bit too controversial

I agree with Ikki's case, but I also have to imagine that the writers of the show wanted to keep Ikki's big brother role. His role would also be slightly different now since he has a little sister rather than brother, which is something I personally think would be interesting to see.

I also agree with Seiya, yet now Saint Seiya: Saintia Shō exists, and that's essentially female Seiya (even though it is technically not).

For Shiryuu I think they didn't want to change him because he is too prolific. He and Seiya are in Jump Force, so I guess they didn't want someone that popular to change.

Hyoga I guess would've work as a woman, I'll give you that.

Last edited by Transformers03 on Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:10 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

(statement)

Yeah, that whole statement is a huge red flag for me. If I had any interest in this series before, knowing this is the mentality behind the writers would make this a auto-pass.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:49 am Reply with quote
Anyways, the whole concept of turning Shun into a woman is not new either, as the Italian dub already turned him into a woman before, so the idea is already there, and it was used ad nausem in fanfics and similar stuff.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:20 am Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
Or Americans, for that matter.

Which seems kinda dumb considering America is the one place Saint Seiya never caught on. The Latino trailer is already way past the American one in views, and has a much worse downvote ratio than the US one. They take Saint Seiya very seriously down there and all the top rated comments are not amused in the slightest at all these changes Laughing
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:32 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

Which seems kinda dumb considering America is the one place Saint Seiya never caught on. The Latino trailer is already way past the American one in views, and has a much worse downvote ratio than the US one. They take Saint Seiya very seriously down there and all the top rated comments are not amused in the slightest at all these changes Laughing

Most of the complains, at least in other Spanish-speaking forums, are about Seiya's VA, as, unlike the rest of the cast, he is a newcomer on voice acting, and Seiya is practically his debut role as VA. Keep in mind Seiya's original voice actor in the dub, Jesus Barrero, died two years ago, and it was pretty obvious someone would had to replace him, but no one expected Seiya being voiced by someone whose voice acting skills, at least in the trailer, are next to awful.

While there's also complains about the animation or the fact Shun is a girl now, those are considered as minor nuisances compared with Seiya's voice. At least they brought many, but not all, the original voice actors from the previous animated adaptations.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:34 am Reply with quote
Netflix and CG strike again
The Unchosen One

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:58 am Reply with quote
Grimvice wrote:
I mean...let's face it the original series looks kinda downright ugly at this point

Dude, you're wrong. They original series is one of the most well known, well drawn, animated and iconic of the last 30 or so years. It's so iconic that everyone who thinks of Saint Seiya, this show is what comes to their minds, most of the merchandise and the overall franchise this IP sells come from the designs of the show, and with its unique and idiosyncratic design, is very fondly remembered, even if it didn't hit big in North America as it did in Latin America or Europe.
Sergorn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:10 am Reply with quote
The Unchosen One wrote:

Dude, you're wrong. They original series is one of the most well known, well drawn, animated and iconic of the last 30 or so years.

It really isn't. Fans need to remove their rose colored glasses when it comes to Saint Seiya. Saint Seiya has SOME very beautiful episodes, but it has a LOT of really mediocre or downright ugly ones. It a '80s series through and through which means it animation quality varied a LOT over the course of its 114 episodes and didn't age well at all from a technical standpoint

Fans have this mental image of StS always looking like this

When more often that not it really just looked like this

Anyone claiming the original Saint Seiya is this perfection of animation is just deluded, and I've been a Saint Seiya fan for 30 years.

-Sergorn[/quote]
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:43 am Reply with quote
It's not like the first time a male character was changed into a woman. In the Saint Seiya movie Legend of Sanctuary, they changed the Scorpio saint into a woman.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5