• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online Episode Censors More Content on U.S.-Based Streaming Services

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:

Which begs the questions, pre-Goblin Slayer, was there any huge backlash when a scene like that appeared in a show? Or a content warning?

It's honestly pretty rare that any anime TV series would have a rape scene that graphic or intense. Berserk did carry the same disclaimer.

Last edited by Pepperidge on Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
It doesn't surprise me to be honest. No offense to people in the States, but online debate about these kinds of issues gets toxic much faster and in a much greater magnitude than anywhere else. Maybe Aniplex is just trying to to err in the side of caution with what they know will be a very, very controversial episode (considering what happened with Goblin Slayer).
I think that unfortunately self censorship by artists and production companies will become much more prevalent in the future.

Just lets hope that this don't influence the contend of the BDs. I was already thinking in buy from Japan, but it will sucks for other fans if they censor the American version of the BDs
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:

I don't know how significant it was because I wasn't very active on forums at the time, but I do remember there was a lot of chatter about the rape scene in Perfect Blue.

This will probably get lost in the forum shuffle, but from what I've encountered online, Perfect Blue is one of the few rape scenes that most people are actually okay with, because the context is very, very different. I'd hazard a guess that it's largely due to it being a simulated rape scene, rather than an actual one (with everyone at least putting on a front of consent and the actors checking in with Miwa), but the movie also doesn't dismiss the rape as a casual Bad Thing to get over, like you see in a LOT of anime. Plus, even if it is just an act, that simulated rape is still shown to be a damaging and traumatizing event for Miwa herself, and a not insignificant tie-in to the theme of Miwa being pressured and/or used by the producers and industry at large.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
IanKen wrote:
So, more lazy story telling. The authors excuses on twitter were laughable.

The women in SAO exist to be rescued by the guys (GGO the exception). That was obvious from the very beginning when Asuna (setup as an ace in the first 12) spent the next 12 episodes locked in a cage with a creeper while in the real world apparently nobody knows how to sniff packets and figure out where she (and the others) was logged in at.

Rolling Eyes

There has been 6 arcs (with the 7th ongoing) of SAO the anime. Only 1 of those 6 arcs, Fairy Dance, has had the setup be a female being rescued by a male. Aincrad, GGO, Excalibur, Mother's Rosario, and Ordinal Scale have all had females fight alongside (the ridiculously OP) Kirito. Even in Fairy Dance he couldn't have rescued Asuna without Leafa (and the other squads) so your point is kinda moot.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:06 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:

EDIT: Also, to address this:
Quote:
Yes indeed, I complained about that back then as well. Is it really so hard to write a content warning that doesn't spoil the plot?

Yes, because a content warning is what it says on the tin. What good is a content warning if you don't know what kind of content you're being warned about.

In my opinion a vague warning works fine. That way someone who thinks they might be offended knows to research it further (or simply err on the safe side and not watch it at all) while it doesn't give away any details to someone who is OK with the potentially graphic content.

Quote:
(And really, when has anyone ever been *happily* surprised by a rape scene. Rolling Eyes )

I've never been happy to see a rape scene specifically, but I am likewise very happy that they were not forewarned because then the shock value and much of the impact is lost. Negative emotions are just as powerful as positive emotions when crafting a story. If all you use are positive emotions then you're only playing with half a deck of cards. It takes the bad things to make us appreciate the good.
ItsXolo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:08 pm Reply with quote
MesousaGaby wrote:
Reki Kawahara is a garbage human being and Studio A-1 are now also garbage for apperantly going much more far with this.

Oh, and they're whining about this being "censorship" too. Just...just pure scum, really.

Why is censorship in quotes? Are you implying this isn't censorship? Is something not censorship if it's censoring something you don't like?
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:

Right. But what's stopping a major licensee, like Crunchyroll or Hulu, from having special requirements in their contract regarding which version(s) they are given?

In this case the article makes it clear that this is more than just "foreign vs. domestic", since the French platform was not censored to the same degree as the US based ones were.

[snip]

That's an interesting assertion; I haven't even stated who I am mad at.

Quote:
This is all on Aniplex (likely a business decision to avoid courting controversy)

Obviously.

To answer your first point, because from insider information Answerman articles and others have shown, licensors don't get to make demands. That's why Japanese Blu rays might "mysteriously" end up having nicer masters than their primarily US counterparts.

But as to your second, I understood you to be making the assertion that content warnings led to more censored versions, which to me is a case of correlation rather than causation. Aniplex as a company is probably more aware that depictions of sexual assault are more heavily frowned upon in the US vs other countries, and I think that awareness is what led to the US getting a more heavily edited version, but I think the content warnings themselves are not a real factor in that decision. They're just a result of CR's company policy. That's why I took you to mean that you were mad at CR, because CR put up a content warning which in your mind led to a more censored broadcast. That's why I assumed your ire was directed at broadcasters over the publishing company.

EDIT: Also I missed your point about content warnings taking the edge off of shock value moments. So: I get what you're saying, but I'm in the minority of people who cares more about the execution of an idea rather than the idea itself. So I'm largely okay with spoilers so long as the execution is good, though I'm aware that a large majority of people heavily dislike spoilers.

Having said that, any person's need/desire to know or be forewarned about a plot point that could induce panic attacks, anxiety, PTSD, etc. far outweighs any desire I might have for an unspoiled viewing experience, full stop. I don't think it's fair to impose a largely selfish desire over another person's mental well-being.

Last edited by whiskeyii on Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Echii

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:12 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:

Does it really have to be explained to you why people are tense around sexual violence? Just because you weren't personally offended doesn't mean other people can't be.

If they are offended they don't have to watch it. 99% of anime (outside of hentai) don't have sexual assaults. You only see like 2 or 3 anime per year that has this kind of stuff. Do these people want sexual assaults completely banned in every anime ?!

And yes I would like to know why people get too tense over sexual assaults but not other form of violence even if it is much worse ?! Inuyashiki episode 2 has extremely violent stuff (whole familly killed brutally) and yet did not get people triggered like SAO. Even SAO season 1, the guy barely touched Asuna and some people started to scream about it

EIDT: Banana Fish had rape scenes, but people did not get outraged like SAO and globlin slayer (maybe cause the victim is male)

whiskeyii wrote:
(And really, when has anyone ever been *happily* surprised by a rape scene. Rolling Eyes )

I did

I wasn't get expecting this anime to become dark so suddenly like. It was total surprise for me. The anime turned from average to good in one episode

Last edited by Echii on Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
To answer your first point, because from insider information Answerman articles and others have shown, licensors don't get to make demands. That's why Japanese Blu rays might "mysteriously" end up having nicer masters than their primarily US counterparts.

Anyone engaging in a business contract gets to make demands. That's the point of having a contract. Both sides do it. Now it is certainly true that not all of those demands may be agreed to and make their way into the final contact, but you absolutely can ask.

Quote:

But as to your second, I understood you to be making the assertion that content warnings led to more censored versions, which to me is a case of correlation rather than causation.

That sounds perfectly reasonable, yes. They're both symptoms of the same problem, one just just more severe than the other. Where there's smoke (warnings) there's fire (censorship).

Quote:
Aniplex as a company is probably more aware that depictions of sexual assault are more heavily frowned upon in the US vs other countries, and I think that awareness is what led to the US getting a more heavily edited version, but I think the content warnings themselves are not a real factor in that decision. They're just a result of CR's company policy. That's why I took you to mean that you were mad at CR, because CR put up a content warning which in your mind led to a more censored broadcast. That's why I assumed your ire was directed at broadcasters over the publishing company.

I have zero problems with warnings as long as they don't spoil the plot.
I blame whoever implements the censorship for that censorship. It's clearly not CR or Hulu's fault if Aniplex is the one who gave them a censored show. OTOH, the same logic could apply to CR or Hulu. It's possible that CR or Hulu, knowing that this was a hot button issue with a lot of awareness currently, contractually demanded that certain content be edited out. Whether or not that happened I have no idea, but if CR or hulu made the request then I would blame them. Right now we don't know who to blame which is why I haven't blamed anyone yet.

But like I said above, it's all symptoms of the same disease. It's not that warnings themselves cause censorship, it's that censorship is another step along the same path. Once we see the first step then we expect the 2nd to soon follow, which it did.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
In my opinion a vague warning works fine. That way someone who thinks they might be offended knows to research it further (or simply err on the safe side and not watch it at all) while it doesn't give away any details to someone who is OK with the potentially graphic content.

Based on vociferous complaints over the Goblin Slayer situation and a few other cases, vague warnings are not sufficient. The people who are bothered by those scenes - IOW, the people that the content warnings are actually for - have made it clear that they want specific warnings.

Chester McCool wrote:
Which begs the questions, pre-Goblin Slayer, was there any huge backlash when a scene like that appeared in a show? Or a content warning?

Someone else already mentioned Valvrave the Liberator, but the huge one on this kind of issue was Cross Ange. The kerfluffle over this isn't a quarter as voluminous yet as that one was.

Chrono1000 wrote:
I am curious to see if this type of additional censorship becomes a recurring issue in future episodes.

I've read probably 15-20 episodes past this point in the arc and there's nothing else in that span that's even remotely close to sexual violence. There are at least one or two more scenes coming a ways down the road which could be this level of intense graphic violence, however.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Echii wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:
Does it really have to be explained to you why people are tense around sexual violence? Just because you weren't personally offended doesn't mean other people can't be.

If they are offended they don't have to watch it. 99% of anime (outside of hentai) don't have sexual assaults. You only see like 2 or 3 anime per year that has this kind of stuff. Do these people want sexual assaults completely banned in every anime ?!

And yes I would like to know why people get too tense over sexual assaults but not other form of violence even if it is much worse ?! Inuyashiki episode 2 has extremely violent stuff (whole familly killed brutally) and yet did not get people triggered like SAO. Even SAO season 1, the guy barely touched Asuna and some people started to scream about it

Many people still didn't understand a simple thing.
Anime is animation made in Japan with the Japanese audience in mind.
Even if Japanese audience find this kind of situation nasty, it can be seen in the context of the story and they don't feel offended that this situations appear on anime because is part of the story.
Different cultures have a different reaction to this kind of content.
TheAnonymousUsual

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure that anyone's mentioned this, and perhaps it doesn't matter, but during this scene, in the context of the story, spoiler[Kirito is the only living, breathing human in the scene. The rest are bottom-up AIs. The perpetrators, victims, and Eugeo are all computer simulations using fluctlights. None of them are actual living, breathing people connected to an interface like an AmuSphere. So technically, it's just Kirito observing the behavior of a bunch of 1's and 0's in this simulation, perhaps wondering if the decision matrix will lead to a violation of the Taboo Index. Technically, it's a pure computer simulation of rape, with only one actual human observer.] Maybe that makes it more disturbing, though?
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:31 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
EDIT: Also I missed your point about content warnings taking the edge off of shock value moments. So: I get what you're saying, but I'm in the minority of people who cares more about the execution of an idea rather than the idea itself. So I'm largely okay with spoilers so long as the execution is good, though I'm aware that a large majority of people heavily dislike spoilers.

The thing is that there's simply no reason to have spoilers at all. These two camps are not mutually exclusive. It's entirely possible to warn people without giving plot details away. This isn't really a problem, it's just something that's dealt with poorly in many cases.

Quote:
Having said that, any person's need/desire to know or be forewarned about a plot point that could induce panic attacks, anxiety, PTSD, etc. far outweighs any desire I might have for an unspoiled viewing experience, full stop. I don't think it's fair to impose a largely selfish desire over another person's mental well-being.

Watching anime is a recreational activity. If someone was in a situation where they could suffer real mental trauma from witnessing something graphic then surely they wouldn't be choosing to watch a medium which is famous, nay infamous, for its violence, gore, and sexual content? A rape victim watching violent anime makes about as much sense as a recovering alcoholic hanging around in bars.

This is when things get difficult. If someone is allergic to peanuts, shall we ban those around them from eating peanut butter? How far do we take it, exactly? Some schools restrict students from bringing peanut-containing foods to school if someone in their class is allergic. Is that fair, when the ratio of people is 30:1? What about when the whole school can't have it because of one person and the ratio is 1000:1? What about if we ban it entirely and nobody can have peanuts? Where, exactly, does one draw the line? And at what point does a person stop becoming responsible for their own situation and it becomes others responsibility to do it for them?

Last edited by Shiflan on Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Based on vociferous complaints over the Goblin Slayer situation and a few other cases, vague warnings are not sufficient. The people who are bothered by those scenes - IOW, the people that the content warnings are actually for - have made it clear that they want specific warnings.

A rather ridiculous request, in my opinion. But that is hardly surprising in an era where many people demand spoon-feeding for nearly everything in their lives.

Though honestly, where did you see much talk about that the warnings were insufficient? I saw a lot of discussion here about the warnings--some people didn't like them, some people liked them. But I don't recall anyone stating that they "weren't specific enough".

Last edited by Shiflan on Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:37 pm Reply with quote
ok...i typically don't care about selective censoring, but they damn well better put the unedited version on their blu ray release...with how much money they will charge for them..i have many issues with aniplex and this is just another one
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8