• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream Konosuba Anime Dubbed in English, Spanish, Portuguese

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulchaested

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:59 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
FlyGuySempai wrote:
I just finished the subbed version too lol, now when the hell is ReCreators getting a dub? That anime needs one like Yesterday.
That's Amazon, so unless Viz or Sentai pick it up, i can't see it getting dubbed anytime soon.

Aniplex will probably pick this up because I remember them heavily promoting this.
theNightster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if the dub will capture the magic of "yes I'm Kazuma" since that was added in by the Japanese voice actor and they kept it.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:35 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Seems like this is a follow-up to that experiment a few years ago when Crunchyroll did French, German, Spanish, and Portuguese dubs of Yamada-kun, Rokka, and Schwarzesmarken.

Crunchyroll has also produced dubs in Latin-American spanish for Black Clover, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Mob Psycho 100, Free!, Re: Zero, Saga of Tanya the Evil, among others. All of them were recorded in SDI Mexico.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:49 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
I don't know if the dub will capture the magic of "yes I'm Kazuma" since that was added in by the Japanese voice actor and they kept it.

I have been eager to hear how an English dub would handle/parlay the style of the original, particularly Jun Fukuyama's Kazuma. At the very same time, I've been apprehensive about whether a dub could possibly capture that "magic" and comedic style of his and the original cast. I'm really not sure whether that's possible or if could being duplicated directly into English (stylistically-speaking). Regardless, it will be very interesting to see exactly how they will craft it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
=Vanilla=

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I've got a bad feeling about this one lads, the voice actors were part of the reason Konosuba was funny, I'm not sure if a dub can really capture how great it is. Ah well, I never watch dubs anyway so all I can do is sit around and hope people who only watch dubs don't start quoting random things from the dub that weren't in the sub.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:35 pm Reply with quote
=Vanilla= wrote:
I've got a bad feeling about this one lads, the voice actors were part of the reason Konosuba was funny, I'm not sure if a dub can really capture how great it is. Ah well, I never watch dubs anyway so all I can do is sit around and hope people who only watch dubs don't start quoting random things from the dub that weren't in the sub.

I mean, I've only seen clips, but the Konosuba Filipino dub hit it right on the money, especially Aqua, so it should be possible for English too. Bang Zoom has done some really good dubs, so I trust them to do it right.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:43 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Hope they add the Konosuba OVA’s for each season. Both seasons technically had 11 episodes each, but CR still is only streaming the TV episodes. Hope the dubs will include them.
Also am wondering if this is a Bang Zoom dub.

who knows.They actually dubbed the Dragon Maid's OVA episode in Spanish and Portuguese(Funimation never dubbed into english for some reason)but they also dubbed MMO Junkie in those languages and it turned out to be the TV version without the extra scenes.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Agree with the others, hopefully this means a BD might actually come out
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:33 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
=Vanilla= wrote:

I mean, I've only seen clips, but the Konosuba Filipino dub hit it right on the money, especially Aqua, so it should be possible for English too. Bang Zoom has done some really good dubs, so I trust them to do it right.

I hope they do the same in the Latin American Spanish dub, as Mexican voice actors are pretty good on dubbing screwball comedies like this one.

As long they don't screw this up, just like they did with previous Crunchyroll dubs, when honorifics and very literal translations were used instead, something that it's pretty disliked between Latin American fans.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:59 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
=Vanilla= wrote:

That was good! They seemed to hit the right spots and the casting & acting appeared on-point, as well (Aqua's VA was almost indistinguishable from the original, outside of the language difference). Kazuma's VA also sounded like a suitable match. It also highlights the particular importance of acting and comedic touch in respect to the show and that you can emulate the original's style well enough.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2