• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yakuza Creator Toshihiro Nagoshi Comments on Game's Female Fanbase

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:48 am Reply with quote
Wellington wrote:
I commend the guy for keeping Yakuza what it is

A poorly written 3D beat em up, with dodgy minigames, and rather shallow overworld that wishes it could be like GTA Razz

Also not for nothing but if this game did do something such as add a playable female character that wouldn't really be "pandering" to certain demographics especially given that when it was announced that Haruka was playable in 5 almost everyone (as in most of the male Yakuza fans) figured she'd be roughhousing and [expletive] people's shit up just like Kiryu so imagine what it was like when they found out she did none of that in the actual game.

Plus the game already panders to certain people with the hostess minigames and the fact that every final battle has the guys half undressed that's been a staple since the first game
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:37 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Wellington wrote:
I commend the guy for keeping Yakuza what it is

A poorly written 3D beat em up, with dodgy minigames, and rather shallow overworld that wishes it could be like GTA Razz

Also not for nothing but if this game did do something such as add a playable female character that wouldn't really be "pandering" to certain demographics especially given that when it was announced that Haruka was playable in 5 almost everyone (as in most of the male Yakuza fans) figured she'd be roughhousing and [expletive] people's shit up just like Kiryu so imagine what it was like when they found out she did none of that in the actual game.

Plus the game already panders to certain people with the hostess minigames and the fact that every final battle has the guys half undressed that's been a staple since the first game

There is a massive difference between how Yakuza and GTA set their sandboxes up. And dodgy? Seriously?

I really don’t see how anything they’ve said is a problem. Don’t change what works. Pretty simple really.
Bullza

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:00 am Reply with quote
"too much of the same thing is boring."

And yet every single game is set in Kamurocho. The same setting in every game with virtually little change.

Even the last 3 out of 4 games have had the same Sotenbori.

Not to mention this spin off Judge Eyes, even then they've had to recycle Kamurocho.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

There is a massive difference between how Yakuza and GTA set their sandboxes up.

I know.....that's why I don't particularly find Yakuza's enjoyable or memorable..

Beatdigga wrote:
And dodgy? Seriously?

Did you play any of the chase sequences that were introduced with 3, Th Catfight Club in 0, or the batting games that have been around since the first?

Cause none of those are designed very well.

Beatdigga wrote:

I really don’t see how anything they’ve said is a problem. Don’t change what works. Pretty simple really.

Except a portion of what's in the Yakuza does not work and does need to be changed.

In particular writing a story that doesn't fall victim to tired and already done (in series) cliches would be a start it's only so many times someone can betray someone before it's gets stale. And avoiding dumb shit like "blank bullets" would be another. Also get rid of simulation based mini-games where players have no control of the action and stop tying completion of these minigames to trophies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2