• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Answerman - Why Aren't More Anime-Related Manga Published in English?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:52 am Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
jdnation wrote:
People would rather subscribe for digital all-you-can-read services, than pay for specific digital purchases.

Why?

Why spend 10 bucks on a single digital manga volume when half that gets you access to hundreds of chapters you can binge through then cancel?

jdnation wrote:
And frankly, most new comics fans would rather buy the older classic stuff than the newer stuff.

You could do a laundry list of why that is and spend hours dissecting the issue, but the biggest reason is there's no real reason to read a comic book made after 2008. They've all changed to be modeled after the much more successful movie versions, or have been toned down in anticipation of being added into the live-action catalog. So ironically the comic book medium has been stopped focusing on comic books
Puniyo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:46 am Reply with quote
European countries get an insane amount more manga translations than the US while still having access to the english translated stuff, Germany especially from what I've seen. While the population=popularity ratio is definitely higher in Europe, the actual sales figures definitely aren't. Are the publishing costs that different or is there other factors that seems to make it much easier for Europe?
The UK kinda gets the crap end of the stick, because no one wants to translate manga specifically for the UK (neither does it make sense to tbh), so we're stuck with the US' limited releases.

Also agreeing with the digital thing. The tangibility issue aside (which is a big thing to me too), digital copies are way more expensive than physical ones, and.. digital just isn't that enjoyable to read. Most reader apps are really clunky, too, only really usable if you have a dedicated device. CR's manga reader is a nightmare on pc. I even bought manga digitally before that I've never read and bought physically instead because it's just such an uncomfortable experience.
I would definitely be onboard for more of a subscription-type platform though. Assuming the app is decent.

OjaruFan2 wrote:
jdnation wrote:
People would rather subscribe for digital all-you-can-read services, than pay for specific digital purchases.

Why?

The same reason streaming took off: Would you rather pay £20 for one season of a TV series that is completely DRM'd so you can't even download it, or £6 for a month of crunchyroll/netflix where you can watch every season of the show and whatever else you have the time for? Pretty easy choice.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I would much rather pay for a Crunchyroll of manga than individual releases. Yes, Crunchyroll has manga, but not a whole lot. They also tend to delist chapters as they get physical editions, so yeah, you can get some Seven Deadly Sins, but only the last several volumes that have yet to get physical releases (and chapter 1, naturally). Imagine if they delisted anime as soon as it got a physical release! That would be a massive pain! For example, you can buy Bungo Stray Dogs seasons 1 + 2 on BD/DVD, but it's still up on Crunchyroll. Imagine if they took them down because they got a physical edition.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2