• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: DARLING in the FRANXX part 2 BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Not sure what you've been smoking lately, but the series has by no means been "completely forgotten." When I attended Anime Central (one of the country's 3-4 largest 'cons after AX) back in May, the series as a whole, and 02 in particular, were among the most common cosplay choices and there was a lot of series merchandise available - and dealers at 'cons generally don't bring a lot of stuff for a franchise that isn't hot. Saw a fair amount of series merch when I was in Akihabara back in June, too. It's not a megahit, but it is success and hasn't been forgotten.

You're confusing "franchise popularity" with "character popularity". 002 is a very popular character, even among people who never watched Franxx, and in that sense, her design IS a success. But apart from 002's catchy appearance, no one's really talking about the show or clamoring for more of it, there's really no new merch being produced since september. It was an ephimeral "hit" that pretty much no one was still thinking of by the end of last year, with only 002 keeping a hold of the public conscious due to her striking design -also the reason that she's a popular character for cosplayers- Which isn't surprising, considering Nishigori did mention in one of his interviews that they put special attention to her design to make her the poster girl of the series. At leas you can say that aspect of the show was a success, even if everything else was a disaster Laughing
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Borrowing from the "smoking..." comment, AX this year had zero visible 02's or Hiro's and even last year only a handful of those (02 making up the majority). Only the CR booth edition 02 figure sold well this year, the other version not so much so I can't say Franxx remains or even was very popular where I'm from. Also about the review, hindsight helps to straighten out twists and turns and the reason it all makes some sense now is from that. Experiencing the show "forwards" it was mostly agreed to be a big mess and I'd stay with that view.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:27 pm Reply with quote
On the subject of the staying power of Franxx, I can't say I was a fan of the show, but I think it's still too early to make any predictions if it's forgotten about or not. It's only been a year and the BDs just came out so of course it's still going to be active in the con scene. You can't judge it based on lack of discourse either because the show is over and there's nothing new to discuss about it other than the same old arguments. I would give it least another year after it's already been out on BD for awhile to see how it's still doing. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it winds up on Toonami at some point in the future and gets wider exposure there.

Quote:
Except what he's saying has nothing to do with gender politics which is what made the show so controversy. It was suppose to be a statement with Japanese audience in mind who get what he was going for but westerners didn't understand it and focused on stuff that didn't matter or wasn't what the show was preach but at the surface it was nothing more than a silly robot show.
My point still is there's a wide gap between the director saying he made the show as an obversation of Japanese culture versus arguing the show has no message at all.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:35 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
You're confusing "franchise popularity" with "character popularity". 002 is a very popular character, even among people who never watched Franxx, and in that sense, her design IS a success. But apart from 002's catchy appearance, no one's really talking about the show or clamoring for more of it, there's really no new merch being produced since september. It was an ephimeral "hit" that pretty much no one was still thinking of by the end of last year, with only 002 keeping a hold of the public conscious due to her striking design -also the reason that she's a popular character for cosplayers- Which isn't surprising, considering Nishigori did mention in one of his interviews that they put special attention to her design to make her the poster girl of the series. At leas you can say that aspect of the show was a success, even if everything else was a disaster Laughing

Point taken about the character popularity; because of that, it definitely could be an outlier to my normal observation that cosplay that popular is almost never associated with a "forgotten" series. (And to address another poster's comment, a one-shot cosplay of a recent title means nothing. When dozens of people are doing it, that usually is connected to a high-performing title.)

Kunt wrote:
. . .and nobody really wants anything to do with the show anymore much like a certain show you also gave a positive review to years back named Aldnoah Zero,

And I'll still also stand by that one not being a bad series either, even if it hasn't proved to be a memorable one. I'm sure that there are also some titles that you think are great that I find to be trash, so I'm not sure what the big deal is about a differing opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I could probably give a B grade to the first half of Darling in the Franxx, but its second half gets a big fat D. I actually really liked this show after its first 7-8 episodes, but it self destructed in the second half.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:51 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
You're confusing "franchise popularity" with "character popularity". 002 is a very popular character, even among people who never watched Franxx, and in that sense, her design IS a success. But apart from 002's catchy appearance, no one's really talking about the show or clamoring for more of it, there's really no new merch being produced since september. It was an ephimeral "hit" that pretty much no one was still thinking of by the end of last year, with only 002 keeping a hold of the public conscious due to her striking design -also the reason that she's a popular character for cosplayers- Which isn't surprising, considering Nishigori did mention in one of his interviews that they put special attention to her design to make her the poster girl of the series.

I think we fail to appreciate how much online discussion in recent years is driven by what is new, what's going on right now, compared to 20, 15, even 10 years ago, not only about anime but pretty much everything else. Yes, people aren't really having active ongoing discussions of Franxx (aside from when it comes up in conversation), but are we really discussing Made in Abyss like that anymore? A Place Further than the Universe? Rakugo? We'll talk about these and many other shows when they come up in conversation or when they are relevant to the points and comparisons we want to make, but are we constantly or even regularly talking and thinking about them? No, there are far too many shows out there for that to be feasible, and there is always the allure of the shiny new things. That doesn't mean we never talk about stuff older than this season, but much of the discussion focuses on what is going on now, be that shows that are currently airing or ones related to recent news. For Franxx, even beyond 002, people still seem to have strong opinions about the show, opinions a number never seem to forget to insert into the conversation even as they insist it is forgotten, so forgive me if I'm skeptical that people's memory is as fickle as watching social media may lead you to believe.

Quote:
At least you can say that aspect of the show was a success, even if everything else was a disaster Laughing

While I realize it was likely hyperbole, I feel it necessary to push back on this point. Say what you will about the story, but Franxx was never a production disaster. It was always a solidly produced show, even if there were even better shows in that regard in its seasons and year.
Krunky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:22 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

I think we fail to appreciate how much online discussion in recent years is driven by what is new, what's going on right now, compared to 20, 15, even 10 years ago, not only about anime but pretty much everything else. Yes, people aren't really having active ongoing discussions of Franxx (aside from when it comes up in conversation), but are we really discussing Made in Abyss like that anymore? A Place Further than the Universe? Rakugo?

Well nobody really talked that much about Rakugo to begin with even while it waa airing it waa more of a critical darling. MiA is still a topic of discussion due to the upcoming movies and dub and the fact that its pretty much going to top a lot of people's best of the decade lists. I agree with Universe it felt very baity and only gets brought up due to 2018 not being as strong a year as 2017 and it didn't make waves the same way Crybaby did but waa also a critical darling so....yeah.

Quote:
Stuff

Here's the thing though...Franxx was the main topic of discussion online for the seasons it aired and nobody wouls shut up about it one way or another but it started to deteriorate in the second half and at a certain point it just stopped and after it was over nobody wanted to talk about it anymore now we've seen with shows like Crybaby that a show can be on people's minds for an entire year because it was that memorable but most of the post series discussion in regards to Franxx was basically "it was a show that exist and had sone cool designs" and that's it. Not every anime can be on people's minds for a duration period but you can't go from being the most talked about anime of 2018 to completely forgotten by the year's end. Outside the "Aniplex" awards aka Newtyoe awards it didn't recieve any notoriety from 5ch, Nico, Animage, etc nor even a mention so it pretty much got burried quickly after it finished.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:01 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Point taken about the character popularity; because of that, it definitely could be an outlier to my normal observation that cosplay that popular is almost never associated with a "forgotten" series. (And to address another poster's comment, a one-shot cosplay of a recent title means nothing. When dozens of people are doing it, that usually is connected to a high-performing title.).

Just to reinforce what CrowLia said, even today, over an year after Franxx ended, every Tuesday the r/animemes subreddit gets flooded with Zero-Two posts (Zero-Twosday as they call it). This is a place where characters, besides Jojo, Komi-san and (to a lesser extent) Konosuba/ Re:Zero/ Fate, have no staying power past their season: right now it's Magical Sempai everywhere, but check back in early October and she'll be gone. People tried to make Megumonday a thing but it just didn't stick. That said, it's Zero-Two posts, not Franxx, which is all but forgotten. That girl is definitely a massive outlier in terms of staying power.

zrnzle500 wrote:
I think we fail to appreciate how much online discussion in recent years is driven by what is new, what's going on right now, compared to 20, 15, even 10 years ago, not only about anime but pretty much everything else. Yes, people aren't really having active ongoing discussions of Franxx (aside from when it comes up in conversation), but are we really discussing Made in Abyss like that anymore? A Place Further than the Universe? Rakugo?

You're not wrong but there are exceptions: Any show with an "harem" aspect to it will always get good conversation starters around the evergreen theme of "who is best girl/waifu" (even if the actual conversation is usually not of the highest quality). Go start a thread on how you think Miku from the Quintuplets is best girl and watch the storm unfold. Another type of show that will always get debate is symbolism-heavy shows. Start a topic about a tree in the background of an Evangelion scene and someone will make an argument about it being related to themes of rebirth. The last one is theory-prone shows that are still ongoing or had a fairly open ending: post your pet-theory on Re:Zero at a community forum and watch the theorycrafters come out of the woodwork to debate you. Nobody talks about A Place Further Than The Universe because it has none of those 3 hooks but MiA definitely has its place among theorycrafters, if not much else.

Interestingly, Fraxx could have staying power on all 3 accounts, but failed in all 3 instances: It's got several main female characters but 02 looms so large over everyone that anyone but her gets largely ignored; it's got symbolism and thematic elements in droves, but people got so fed up with how it bungled its narrative that you can barely get much more than a meh or complains about how poorly it handled those same themes; lastly, the show had a fairly open ended that could be food for some debate, but by the time it came around, people were (and still are) too caught up on how out of left field the whole space arc was to care all that much.
Panayiotis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:17 am Reply with quote
Even though I stopped believing that the show would turn out good at around episode 7, it was still one of the best weekly viewing experiences because the shitstorm and the memes surrounding it were toptier. It also probably has gotten more articles written about it in ANN than any other recent show with 2 or 3 articles about it when it was still airing and 2 or 3 articles after it finished airing, in addition to the weekly reviews.

Kunt wrote:

Except what he's saying has nothing to do with gender politics which is what made the show so controversy. It was suppose to be a statement with Japanese audience in mind who get what he was going for but westerners didn't understand it and focused on stuff that didn't matter or wasn't what the show was preach but at the surface it was nothing more than a silly robot show.

The intention of the writer is not that relevant when determining what a show says about things like gender roles. If anything the fact that it is unintentional makes it more interesting in some ways, because it shows what the writer really thinks about gender roles.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:26 am Reply with quote
There is assuredly something to be said about shows that generate a lot of internet noise and buzz but are overall unpopular, despite what the hardcore Twitter or Tumblr would have you believe. Look no further than a lot of Netflix offerings. Their awful Voltron reboot. Lots of Tumblr metas about who’s gay, lot of cosplay, but a nonexistent casual audience, and merchandise that tanked horribly. To put it in perspective, if the show was popular and it’s fandom not just disproportionately loud, those post series comics wouldn’t have been cancelled before one could even be published.

Tuca and Bertie, another example. Small twitter following goes on and on and on about how important the show is. No one watched it, got cancelled after one season.

Franxx is assuredly in that category. For all the talk the series generated, for all the controversy about its non positions on gender, sexuality, traditional family, and an arc best described as How to Domesticate Your Waifu, before...ALIENS, most people abandoned the show when the narrative collapsed in on itself after Part 1. Sure, there’s 02 cosplay and fan art, but you can’t cash that in for money. The show is unpopular because of the problems that made it so fascinating to talk about. It makes a good discussion piece, but an awful piece of entertainment. The second half anyway, the first half I found quite good, but boy oh boy did they botch the landing.
Crystalblade13

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:26 pm Reply with quote
FRANXX Part 2 in no way deserves a B. I seriously struggle to think of positives.
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Lord, that was one seriously generous review.

Who did the weekly reviews, was it also Theron?
pengin senshi
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:59 pm Reply with quote
JustinTaco wrote:

Nah, it was James Beckett, and those weekly discussions were "heated" to see the least.
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:06 pm Reply with quote
pengin senshi wrote:
JustinTaco wrote:

Nah, it was James Beckett, and those weekly discussions were "heated" to see the least.

Yeah, I remember. I think I got a few of my posts deleted back then lol.

These days I or my friends just direct interested parties to my Franxx liveblogging and they stop being curious very quickly. A lot more productive than arguing with people in forums. Screencaps and videos of the utter nonsense the show pulled is a lot more tangible.
TheKillerAngel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:19 pm Reply with quote
The views of people who read and post on sites like ANN are not totally representative of the anime-watching community. A lot of people might hate the show here and on Reddit but plenty of other people I know seem to have enjoyed it, even with its flaws.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3