• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: In This Corner (and Other Corners) of the World

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:03 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I'm super glad this finally exists. I enjoyed the first release, but it really did feel truncated and the editing made it feel like connecting scenes were missing all over the place. At the time I couldn't find anyone who agreed with me, even after this was announced, but regardless, now that this is a reality, hopefully I can put that disclaimer away and just enjoy the film as it was really intended to be.

It's because this is an episodic story.

kotomikun wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
There was one moment that felt real, a racist outburst from Rin but the rest of it was a little too "Aren't these just the nicest people?" I don't know, nicer people would be asking more questions from their leaders.

The great irony of war is that it leads groups of generally decent people to do terrible things; or for civilians, to just be mostly ignorant of what the soldiers are up to. War usually makes a society far less noble than the sum of its parts. This comes up a lot in stories about war, because it's almost always true, and it demonstrates how absurd the whole endeavor is.

I've only seen bits and pieces of this movie, but based on what you're saying about it, it sounds like a relatively standard anti-war story--not the "war is hell" variety, but the "what is it good for" type. If they instead acted like all Japanese people at the time were brainwashed homicidal maniacs, that would be revisionism... though that's more likely to show up in old propaganda videos than anything else.

It' fair for me to say that "all murricans are brainwashed homicidal maniacs"? It's how it looks like to me at times. Even when they are aware of the damage their country is doing to the world they still support the military in some way, they still defend their country policies. The japanese people at those times aren't that much different, and they had much less information.

I don't think that this movie is pro or anti war anyway, it's just a story about people who lived during those times, like other stories from the same author that lives in that region.
You can see all sides in this movie.
Suzu's new family is "kinda pro-war". I want to see is some expository pages from the manga were included this times, where Suzu's father in law talks about the pre-war agreements on naval power limitations and how this affected Kure's economy, specially during the depression-era. Because don't forget, Suzu's father in law and husband both works for the military and on Kure's arsenal. That place is bombarded during the movie (actual event, actual day, even actual climate during that hour) because there was the place where the Yamato and other ships were constructed.
But you also see people against the war, after the Emperor proclamation you even see a Korea flag appear.
And the people indifferent to the war, that had no knowledge and no say about the matter.

As much as I adore to that the japanese people from those times, this is an excellent movie and complaining about this is just a terrible excuse to not see and refuse to praise something very much praiseworthy.
Again this will be the best animated movie of the year, the haters can cry all they want.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Was going to buy this film on bluray after renting it when I heard about this version. Hoping it gets a dub and release. But has there been any info?
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely loved this movie. It made me laugh and cry and I felt like I was actually there living in that town and with all the experiences. I felt like I lived thru all her experiences in the brief 2 hours.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:02 am Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
I'm super glad this finally exists. I enjoyed the first release, but it really did feel truncated and the editing made it feel like connecting scenes were missing all over the place. At the time I couldn't find anyone who agreed with me, even after this was announced, but regardless, now that this is a reality, hopefully I can put that disclaimer away and just enjoy the film as it was really intended to be.

It's because this is an episodic story.

Of course it is. My comment was made with that taken into consideration. Episodic films are not "supposed to" have disjointed awkward transitions. The original cut of this was clearly not how the director envisioned it. Katabuchi did his best with what he had, but he wanted more for it.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:40 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

Of course it is. My comment was made with that taken into consideration. Episodic films are not "supposed to" have disjointed awkward transitions. The original cut of this was clearly not how the director envisioned it. Katabuchi did his best with what he had, but he wanted more for it.

Never felt that and there isn't a good way to do this, the original just jumps from date to date (aided by calendars).
JollySam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:07 am Reply with quote
Sorry if this has been answered before.

Does 'In this corner (and other corners) of the world' have an English subtitled version yet? And if so, where can I find it? I've been looking on Amazon.co.jp, but none of the versions there mention English subtitles, just Japanese ones. Or is there another site where I can buy this version of the movie with English subtitles?

Sorry, I only recently got back into anime. And my experience pretty much solely consists of 'what is on Netflix.jp with English subtitles'.

I appreciate any advice. I love this movie.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:22 am Reply with quote
JollySam wrote:

Does 'In this corner (and other corners) of the world' have an English subtitled version yet? And if so, where can I find it? I've been looking on Amazon.co.jp, but none of the versions there mention English subtitles, just Japanese ones. Or is there another site where I can buy this version of the movie with English subtitles?

Sorry, I only recently got back into anime. And my experience pretty much solely consists of 'what is on Netflix.jp with English subtitles'.

TRSI has it at least.

https://www.rightstufanime.com/In-This-Corner-of-the-World-Blu-ray-DVD
JollySam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:12 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
JollySam wrote:

TRSI has it at least.

https://www.rightstufanime.com/In-This-Corner-of-the-World-Blu-ray-DVD

Thank you, but that is the original version, isn't it? I'm talking about the extended version; 'In this corner (and other corners) of the world'.

Is that available somewhere with English subtitles? Or even on Bluray? Or do I just have to wait for that to be released?

Thanks again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2