• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Irregular at Magic High School Anime Season 2 to Premiere in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kisuke525

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:17 pm Reply with quote
The anger in the comments here is ridiculous lol. But with how poorly the anime adapts the novels I can't say I'm super hyped. Tatsuya`s personality is kinda nonexistent in the anime and the world building and magic system take a big hit as well. Still looking forward to seeing some of the cool parts animated though.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Slashman wrote:
You're literally writing in to say: "I won't watch it."

Who will that matter to?

To answer your rhetorical question: sometimes it's just nice to know that a decent number of other people can recognize a terrible thing for what it is. Makes us feel like the world hasn't yet gone completely insane.

Given the current geopolitical precipice we're standing on right now, such things are particularly relevant. As I recall, this show's surface-layer unpleasantness of "manliest man who is best at all things but especially making his sister want him" conceals a lot of war-glorifying stuff. Can't claim to have sat through more than one episode myself, though.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:48 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Slashman wrote:

Who will that matter to?

To answer your rhetorical question: sometimes it's just nice to know that a decent number of other people can recognize a terrible thing for what it is. Makes us feel like the world hasn't yet gone completely insane.

Given the current geopolitical precipice we're standing on right now, such things are particularly relevant. As I recall, this show's surface-layer unpleasantness of "manliest man who is best at all things but especially making his sister want him" conceals a lot of war-glorifying stuff. Can't claim to have sat through more than one episode myself, though.

I don't know that that answers why some are so invested in hating a show and making that known in every single news article about it to the point that they would feel that the world has gone insane if people didn't share their opinion about that TV show, even if they only watched one episode.
T.Silver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:45 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Slashman wrote:

Who will that matter to?

People really like to make up things to be offended about huh.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:52 pm Reply with quote
will.babe wrote:
they brought this incest crap anime and still no news about season 3 of Magi?????? ok Japan

What the heck does Mahouka getting another season have to do with Magi? You do know that Mahouka is extremely popular in Japan right?
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:53 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
kotomikun wrote:
Slashman wrote:

Who will that matter to?

I don't know that that answers why some are so invested in hating a show and making that known in every single news article about it to the point that they would feel that the world has gone insane if people didn't share their opinion about that TV show, even if they only watched one episode.

These lost souls just don't want Onii-sama in their lives. They don't want to be saved by the WINCEST.

They believe that by using His name in vain that the Holy priestess will look their way. I pity the fools. The Holy Imouto only sees/hears/wants Onii-sama. Repent you heretics for Onii-sama is coming soon!

Jokes aside, these are sad people that are butt hurt that Onii-sama is getting another season and whatever trash anime (don't know if it's trash... Observation bias) they like doesn't. Live and let live. You didn't like it move on lol. You're technically the odd 1 out since Mahouka is one of the most successful LNs series of the past decade.
Kisuke525

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:55 pm Reply with quote
T.Silver wrote:
kotomikun wrote:
Slashman wrote:

Who will that matter to?

I was just thinking the same thing. And imagine thinking the world is insane because people don't hate an anime as much as you do lol.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:26 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Slashman wrote:

Who will that matter to?

It is just a f.ucking cartoon. The world is not going to end because of it.
T.Silver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:29 am Reply with quote
Kisuke525 wrote:
T.Silver wrote:
kotomikun wrote:
Slashman wrote:

Who will that matter to?

I was just thinking the same thing. And imagine thinking the world is insane because people don't hate an anime as much as you do lol.
People want to imagine themselves having the moral high ground even when disliking entertainment media. So even if the supposed offensive content is nonexistent in the first place, they misconstrued and fabricate things in order to try to fool people in believing those things are there. Whatever helps them sleep at night I guess.
FEHedgehog

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:42 am Reply with quote
Jesus, look at these hate comments because Irregular got a 2nd season. If this were an Asterisk War 3rd season confirmation(since that's another sci fi magic high school anime), there would be an entire war zone going on in here. Basically a war between the haters and the wait train. Yeah that'll end up getting ugly asf.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:55 am Reply with quote
A bit of comment regarding the production staff.

I once heard the Mahouka movie was made not just for the purpose of gauging the series' popularity after the anime, but also to see whether the new director has what it takes to 'fix' the way the series was adapted.

Speaking from a production standpoint, I'm actually interested to learn how it'll turn out.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Finnaly a air date after so many years of wait, so excited for it one of the best anime i have seen in past years the fight scenes were simply epic Razz
JonDoe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:05 am Reply with quote
T.Silver wrote:
Kisuke525 wrote:
T.Silver wrote:
kotomikun wrote:
Slashman wrote:

Who will that matter to?

People want to imagine themselves having the moral high ground even when disliking entertainment media. So even if the supposed offensive content is nonexistent in the first place, they misconstrued and fabricate things in order to try to fool people in believing those things are there. Whatever helps them sleep at night I guess.

Wrong. I know this may seem surprising to you but there actually are works of fiction that contain hateful ideologies (Birth of A Nation, Gate, to name a few). And in this shows case you'd have to be pretty daft to ignore the shows obvious nationalistic overtones with the way the series depicts it's Chinese characters. Hell, the off putting politics behind this tripe are a big reason behind why Aniplex decided not to give it an English dub.
T.Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:59 am Reply with quote
JonDoe wrote:
T.Silver wrote:
Kisuke525 wrote:
T.Silver wrote:
kotomikun wrote:
Slashman wrote:

Who will that matter to?

Wrong. I know this may seem surprising to you but there actually are works of fiction that contain hateful ideologies (Birth of A Nation, Gate, to name a few). And in this shows case you'd have to be pretty daft to ignore the shows obvious nationalistic overtones with the way the series depicts it's Chinese characters. Hell, the off putting politics behind this tripe are a big reason behind why Aniplex decided not to give it an English dub.
I'm not saying those types of media don't exsist, all I'm saying is that I see far more instances of people reaching for reasons to be mad or offended about like in this case..
I'm not denying that there's some pro Japanese sentimentality in the series, however the author doesn't shy away from the darker and more corrupt side of the Japanese government and military. Literally in the movie, the main antagonists was a Japanese military base preforming inhumane experiments and weapon testing. So if the franchise was truly a Nationalistic political propaganda, why would it ever shine any negativity on the Japanese side?

Also just saying the chinese being seen as the bad guys is proof of the series being Nationalistic is grossly ignorant, cause you're clearly ignoring the context of the story. In the mahouka the world is in a cold war, as every nation is vying for supremacy in magical military might, so other nations will inevitably be involved. Add to the fact that mahouka is actually pretty popular in china, so they're not viewing the series as some anti-Chinese and pro-Japan propaganda themselves. I don't know about you, but I'm not going to be offended on someone's else's behalf if they themselves aren't being or feeling offended in the first place.
Kisuke525

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:46 am Reply with quote
T.Silver wrote:
JonDoe wrote:
T.Silver wrote:
Kisuke525 wrote:
T.Silver wrote:
kotomikun wrote:
Slashman wrote:

Who will that matter to?

I'm not saying those types of media don't exsist, all I'm saying is that I see far more instances of people reaching for reasons to be mad or offended about like in this case..
I'm not denying that there's some pro Japanese sentimentality in the series, however the author doesn't shy away from the darker and more corrupt side of the Japanese government and military. Literally in the movie, the main antagonists was a Japanese military base preforming inhumane experiments and weapon testing. So if the franchise was truly a Nationalistic political propaganda, why would it ever shine any negativity on the Japanese side?

Also just saying the chinese being seen as the bad guys is proof of the series being Nationalistic is grossly ignorant, cause you're clearly ignoring the context of the story. In the mahouka the world is in a cold war, as every nation is vying for supremacy in magical military might, so other nations will inevitably be involved. Add to the fact that mahouka is actually pretty popular in china, so they're not viewing the series as some anti-Chinese and pro-Japan propaganda themselves. I don't know about you, but I'm not going to be offended on someone's else's behalf if they themselves aren't being or feeling offended in the first place.

Completely agree with everything you said. If this series was as Nationalistic as some people act like the Japanese would never be put in a bad light. There is nothing wrong with having nations fight each other especially in a series where the world is in a cold war.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3