• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Who Writes Fate/Grand Order?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashabel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:49 am Reply with quote
Dark Mac wrote:
I'm curious what this is based on. I know it's popular in Japan, but it was panned a lot more heavily among English-speakers. Most polls over here seem to rank it third of the four 1.5 releases.

To put it as flatly as possible, the western Fate fandom has this bizarrely psychotic hateboner for Hikaru Sakurai and will blame her for absolutely everything bad that is happening to the franchise regardless of whether she was actually involved with that part of it. Even Last Encore somehow magically turned out to be entirely her fault because Nasu asked her to help with editing the script, even though the show was plotted out and written entirely by him.

I have tried to question it in the past and as far as I figured out, she is basically hated because a bunch of canon provided by Fragments of Blue and Silver negates a whole bunch of more unhinged fan theories invented by older, crustier members of Beast's Lair forums who are still convinced that Tsukihime is canon to Fate somehow. Nevermind that all the major changes to Fate's canon are once again run by Nasu and she wouldn't be able to implement them unless he signed off on them.

That, and also because she has a vagina. There's that too.

Personally I have really enjoyed everything I've read of her Steampunk Series. It's a really weird mix of steampunk, Cthulhu Mythos and the sort of fairy tale-esque sentiments one would find in Revolutionary Girl Utena, and it goes down incredibly well. I'll agree that her early efforts on FGO were anything but the best, though I still find it hilarious that she's being given the solitary blame for the quality of those chapters when Higashide's efforts in them were nothing to write home about either.
Konopan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:43 am Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
Awesome article! I really wish more story-driven mobile games could be considered for the future. I’m sure FGO can be that big an inspiration.

While I wouldn't call FGO a direct inspiration, Girls Frontline actually has some pretty involved lore despite being another "object musume" (in this case guns) deal up front. It's like a weird approximation of later MGS, Nier/Automata, and Fallout.
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:10 am Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
Personally I have really enjoyed everything I've read of her Steampunk Series. It's a really weird mix of steampunk, Cthulhu Mythos and the sort of fairy tale-esque sentiments one would find in Revolutionary Girl Utena, and it goes down incredibly well. I'll agree that her early efforts on FGO were anything but the best, though I still find it hilarious that she's being given the solitary blame for the quality of those chapters when Higashide's efforts in them were nothing to write home about either.

What solitary blame? People call Higashide a hack all the time, his chapters just tend to be superficially more enjoyable. And while Orleans at least tried to do something with Jeanne, Septem was just mind-numbing (which is an expression that I can attribute to a lot of Steampunk stuff as well, second being repetitive). I do agree that Sakurai gets too much flak about Extra/Extella tho, and it's entirely to defend Nasu despite the fact that a lot of his recent stuff is indefensible.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:27 am Reply with quote
Sakurai does a lot of bad but I also feel like a lot of the flak she gets is undeserved. I feel that at least she tries to do big things when she writes while Higashide is the Michael Bay of Fate.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:41 am Reply with quote
While I don’t hate Septem like others do, I would say that I found it the least memorable of the Singularities, and not just because it was one of the early ones. Put me down as another person who enjoyed Shimousa though. I’d love to see adapted to anime, and it would probably be the Singularity in Part 1.5 that I would have the least hesitation in it being adapted. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed Shinjuku and Salem at least as much, but I think the former could be more difficult to adapt without losing anime only fans a bit and one aspect that appears later in the Salem could cause some fuss if it were adapted. I suspect those who have played the game know what I’m getting at about Salem.
dragon695

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Considering his devotion to Nitroplus, I honestly doubt Urobuchi would ever go back to Fate.

He and Nasu are close friends, so it is not out of the question that he may return to Fate, especially if Nasu requested it. But, like you, I have my doubts. The feeling I get is that he wants to try new things: hence writing for mechs, cyberpunk, Godzilla, and puppets. Not only that, but he seems less inclined to revisit past projects once he’s moved on to new ones. I think that is for the best, as the first Psycho Pass movie suffered from lackluster writing at best. Do you really want to see him write a new Fate project where his heart isn’t into it?
Catsplay

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:46 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
While I don’t hate Septem like others do, I would say that I found it the least memorable of the Singularities, and not just because it was one of the early ones. Put me down as another person who enjoyed Shimousa though. I’d love to see adapted to anime, and it would probably be the Singularity in Part 1.5 that I would have the least hesitation in it being adapted. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed Shinjuku and Salem at least as much, but I think the former could be more difficult to adapt without losing anime only fans a bit and one aspect that appears later in the Salem could cause some fuss if it were adapted. I suspect those who have played the game know what I’m getting at about Salem.

Honestly curious what you think would be too much if adapted? Nothing stuck out to me as being controversial by Fate standards when playing through Salem.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:35 pm Reply with quote
^I was referring to Abby's outfit in her later acensions, given her age. I suppose you could present those forms in ways that people will find more age appropriate than, say, her 4th ascension, but then that could lead others to scream censorship. Then again, it isn't too far from Jack's outfit in Apocrypha, and I don't recall that being too much of an issue, so maybe that would turn out similarly. Even in that case, it could make it more difficult for me to recommend.

On a separate note, I recalled after my previous post that one of the plays features characters that probably wouldn't make much sense to anime only viewers, though I don't think it would be as much of a barrier to anime only viewers as the role of at least one character in Shinjuku who was introduced and developed in previous parts of the story and events that have not and likely will not be animated. Shimousa also has some stuff in that regard but I think it wouldn't be as difficult to overcome to adapt in anime-only friendly ways.
ayashe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I doubt it would happen, but god I would love a shinjuku adaptation so I could get more saber alter, she’s my #1 best girl.
Skyletv

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:11 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
^I was referring to Abby's outfit in her later acensions, given her age. I suppose you could present those forms in ways that people will find more age appropriate than, say, her 4th ascension, but then that could lead others to scream censorship. Then again, it isn't too far from Jack's outfit in Apocrypha, and I don't recall that being too much of an issue, so maybe that would turn out similarly. Even in that case, it could make it more difficult for me to recommend.

Ah, you're taking the Western audience into consideration.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:39 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

Well she wasn't censored in the US version of the game (I love her 2nd ascension best personally) and I doubt they're going to censor Abby if they ever do an anime adaptation, Apocrypha and Prisma Illya already prove lolis won't be censored in Fate anime even when they're wearing skimpy outfits. Anyway I doubt most people would care anyway considering the context of it and the fact Salem has so much great storytelling surrounding it.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Nasu has said in interviews that he wants the players to understand that the Fate series can't just be reduced to his own contributions. In his words, "the other writers are amazing too.”

Despite this, the fans will probably still continue to praise Nasu's writing either just for the fun of it or when it really is all the more satisfying.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:55 am Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:

Well she wasn't censored in the US version of the game (I love her 2nd ascension best personally) and I doubt they're going to censor Abby if they ever do an anime adaptation, Apocrypha and Prisma Illya already prove lolis won't be censored in Fate anime even when they're wearing skimpy outfits. Anyway I doubt most people would care anyway considering the context of it and the fact Salem has so much great storytelling surrounding it.

Watching babylonia I don't think they are even doing ascensions at all, so they will just keep aby's first outfit or whatever they think looks better.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:18 pm Reply with quote
^She would stay in her first outfit for most of the arc. It’s just at the end of the arc, spoiler[when she becomes a witch] where her outfit would change, at least if it matches the cutscenes in the game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2