• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Vision of Escaflowne

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Alright, one of my choices was picked! Very Happy

Pretty good anime so far, and one of the things that definitely was its strong point was the art and animation (even with probably the most pointiest noses I've seen for anime characters) are high quality (movie's was even better and could compete with Ghibli's), the show actually had a large budget compared to the average one for a TV anime.
zrdb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Escaflowne is still one of my all time favorite anime series. The world building is truly epic-comparable to Dune. The ost really adds to the atmosphere of the story, the characters are kind of a mixed bag, pretty good but Hitomi turns into a whiny brat more than a few times. I don't really have a favorite between the 2 dubs-both have their strengths and weaknesses.
Alex_Sandy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Saw this way back when it was on Fox saturday morning and finished it on YTV when Fox dropped it. It was one of the shows that brought me into anime. It had it's shortcomings the story was obviously cut down though the director did a good job of hiding it. The story was that it should have been 36 episodes, not the 26 it was, but the budget was cut. The ending was especially unsatisfying,but frankly, the endings of a lot of series are though. All that aside, I loved it and always wished it would be remade properly. I still do.
BlueCatMage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Although I know it's an impossible dream, I would sincerely hope that maybe next year for the 25th-anniversary, they could release an LN of what the original full 39 episode Escaflowne would have been like. I would absolutely love to read the true vision the directors had in mind for the series! Especially since I always felt the latter half of the series was terribly rushed and the ending for Van and Hitomi was just so heartbreaking! I felt like after EVERYTHING they went through together, THAT that was it?! Well, considering the situation with the virus and everything else, a fan can try dreaming the impossible, can't I? Anime cry
nargun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:37 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
the way I first saw the series.

Are wa yume? soretomo maboroshi? ie, magiremonai genjitsu desu.

[dozenth-generation pal vhs fansubs with the colour sync failing and people flicking to lavender. Which meant I never realised how good the show looked until I rewatched the show years later]
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:20 am Reply with quote
I have been a fan of Escaflowne for close two decades and I only now learned it was originally planned for more episodes. Seems Kazuki Akane never could catch a break.

As for the ending I used to be more forgiving of it but over the years I dislike it more. I think if there was more explanation for WHY it had to happen like that it would have been better.

It reminds me of the ending of a fantasy novel series spoiler[His Dark Materials Triogy] except that ending was explained and all the more powerful for it
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I really didn’t like Allen half as much this time around, I have to say. The line between competency and smugness is so very thin with that one.

Also he all but gaslights Hitomi at the start of episode 4 when she tries to warn everybody, though I prefer your phrasing, Rebecca Wink.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca, are you planning to do the movie after the series?
WingKing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:59 pm Reply with quote
The first time I ever watched this series I joined in with my friends midway through episode 4. Didn’t take me long to get totally hooked. Dilandau is still one of my favorite anime villains of all time.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I mean trusting Hitomi would be pretty insane at this point. Here's a girl who claim she can somehow predict the future and you have no way of verifying that, would you really believe her?
timber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:14 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
Dilandau is still one of my favorite anime villains of all time.

Indeed, his name pops immediately in my mind when asked the question of the best villains. He is always so damn enthusiastic, joyful about is job.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Rebecca, are you planning to do the movie after the series?

That's a good thought! I hadn't been, but it might be interesting. I've never seen it before. (I own the soundtrack, though.)
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:53 pm Reply with quote
The fifth episode has been my favorite so far - just the right blend of action and drama. I really like how useful Hitomi’s track and field has been; totally forgot about that over the years. The way she comes to Van’s rescue in episode 6 is fantastic.

Ah, and I’d forgotten that snippet of insert song during the 6th episode too - some vintage Yoko Kanno I hadn’t heard in a dog‘s age...
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Millerna is particularly trying to grate Hitomi. Her cloth do kinda look like servant cloth if you've never seen a sailor uniform and she doesn't really insult her when she put on the dress.
Lann

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:58 am Reply with quote
Funimations Escaflowne dub, that was funded by Kickstarter, is actually kinda pointless. Its not as correct to the translated subtitles as the Bandai English dub. This and the fact that the directors cut episodes are only necessary for the first few episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3