• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square Enix Announces Final Fantasy XVI Game for PS5, PC

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Hope it doesn't need a movie/anime tie-in and 4 story DLCs for the full experience
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Yay! Another Final Fantasy to add to my Steam library! Smile

Now if S-E can just release I & II on Steam, it would make the PC the only platform to hold all numbered titles from the main series!
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I also get massive FF14 vibes from it.
My main question after the trailer is the party, are we doing the journey alone? or just with two?
Also I really hope it won't be such a cut content fiasco that was FF15.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Ah, finally giving it to Yoshida's team. Really gives me a Vagrant Story vibe (no surprise considering that Yoshida worships at Matsuno's altar) what with the more grounded setting (which...is not really a thing with FF), the muted color palette, and grim tone. Also like that they're FINALLY doing an action-based system that's more DMC than whatever the heck FFVIIR is.

Another thing is it seems to be outright going after some FF cliches like the crystals (saying how they've defined history for too long) and the MacGuffin summoner (by blowing him up!). I feel this has been long overdue. As I saw on Twitter, this is the first new FF announced in over 14 years (everything through XV was announced in 2006) so this is a real new beginning. Looking forward to more
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:06 pm Reply with quote
So I guess turn base final fantasy is well and truly dead, the gameplay of FF1 to 13 is gone, to be replaced by the gameplay of FF15, Wohoo Rolling Eyes

It looks more like a devil may cry than anything really, which I just don't really care for. Traditional JRPG are really going extinct, aside from the deluge of RPG maker.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:07 pm Reply with quote
SaitoHajime101 wrote:
I'm interested partially because Yoshi.P is involved. I can see some of the FF14 influence in the trailer for sure.

The main character legit looks like the WOL. I was so confused watching the trailer. I thought it was a new expansion for 14.

That said... I'm... interested. I actually really, really enjoy action RPG and the fast paced combat, and aside from just characters in general in 15 one of the things I really enjoyed was the combat system, so I'm glad they didn't go back to turn based.

That said I'm very worried it's going to be another 15 situation where they put out half a game, and lock everything behind DLC and then your left playing a game where it just feels like chunks are missing.

I also liked that it looked kind of darker, and that it seemed to sway back toward the fantasy elements of Final Fantasy, which I'm not sure we've seen since maybe 9?

I also read where someone said the person who did the combat in 16 also did the combat in DMC 5 so...

Last edited by AntiKuro on Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Square Enix is now pretending they know nothing about a PC version despite the footage being recorded on PC lol. This is gonna be another Death Stranding - PC version accidently announced early, pretend it doesn't exist and then right after console version release they'll announce PC version again. Lol

What is your point exactly?

That theres gonna be a PC version. Alright, and? I can't really care.

meiam wrote:
So I guess turn base final fantasy is well and truly dead, the gameplay of FF1 to 13 is gone, to be replaced by the gameplay of FF15, Wohoo Rolling Eyes

It looks more like a devil may cry than anything really, which I just don't really care for. Traditional JRPG are really going extinct, aside from the deluge of RPG maker.

Your loss for not caring about DMC. If the combat here is anything like that franchise then this game will be worth buying for the possibly spectacular gameplay alone. And from the trailer, its looking pretty damn intense.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:46 am Reply with quote
It was been a thing going back to FFVII, to release it on PlayStation first and then port it to PC later.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:37 am Reply with quote
Since the game is still in development, I guess it won't be releasing on PC anytime soon. Kinda bummer, but that's the way things are, I guess.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:23 am Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
Since the game is still in development, I guess it won't be releasing on PC anytime soon.
this statement makes no sense. The only footage that exists is PC. Most the time PC versions are the first ones made. This was even true for FFXV. They just artificially hold back because Sony pays them to. It being "in development" has nothing to do with the PC version specifically not releasing "anytime soon". Though I doubt even the PS5 version is coming out soon.

Scion Drake wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Square Enix is now pretending they know nothing about a PC version despite the footage being recorded on PC lol. This is gonna be another Death Stranding - PC version accidently announced early, pretend it doesn't exist and then right after console version release they'll announce PC version again. Lol

What is your point exactly?

That theres gonna be a PC version. Alright, and? I can't really care.

My "point" was simply giving facts. And mosty laughing at how Square Enix is being jokers here.

Sony (not Square Enix) apparently told people the exclusivity time frames:

https://twitter.com/PiersHR/status/1306365709363097606?s=20
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:42 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

There are still a ton of traditional JRPG out there and honestly Final Fantasy was never a series with many common elements to begin with.
Depending on what the game and world wants to do you need to have a different battle system like 12 did and while I do like the traditional turn based battle system most of the times more, it doesn't mean that a action based one can't be good too.
If you want a traditional JRPG Dragon Quest was always the better series and I myself can't wait for DQ12!
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:20 am Reply with quote
I have all the faith in the world in Yoshi P., but I would be lying if I said I was extremely enthusiastic after watching the trailer. I was really hoping for a more traditional FF game. Oh well, I will still probably enjoy it.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:32 am Reply with quote
This was a pleasant surprise, I heard some rumors but I wasn't expecting a new mainline FF game, especially since FFVIIR was treated like a mainline title anyway. Now the game itself looks interesting, I'm glad it has a more medieval fantasy feel than previous titles like XIII and XV, although it has a gritty feel like western RPGs such as Skyrim and The Witcher. That's not a bad thing, since the orignal FF was inspired by Dungeons & Dragons, but I wish Square would make a more colorful title like FFIX again, also I kinda of miss turn-based combats.
Hinotoumei

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:45 am Reply with quote
off to a good start here. Promised to release more of your exclusive games on PC. So far, you are just announcing PC releases then retracting the announcments.
Your customers aren't brainless. Treat them like this and they just won't buy your console.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:52 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:

meiam wrote:

Your loss for not caring about DMC. If the combat here is anything like that franchise then this game will be worth buying for the possibly spectacular gameplay alone. And from the trailer, its looking pretty damn intense.

Well there's already DMC5 that will come out soon, and platinum will probably make another game like it soon too. But there's pretty much no traditional JRPG being made anymore, every half decade we get a DQ game and that's pretty much it (well atelier game here and there, but their quality is so bare bone it's impossible to care).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3