• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Does The Crunchyroll Original Series EX-ARM Look So Awful?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
People complain about Netflix Originals anime but they have a much better track record than Crunchyroll Originals thus far.

Pretty much. For every bad Netflix series, there’s a decent one. And they seem to be learning, given how much better Godzilla Singular Point looks than the Urobutchi trilogy.

But Crunchyroll, woof. God of High School, Nobleese, and Tower of God are at their best, considered merely OK. Then we have a show that may never get released because it was the personal project of a sex pest (FreakAngels), a show that looked so bad from conception it negatively colored the brand and still gets bought up to make fun of originals (High Guardian Spice), an Avatar clone after those have proven to be complete failures (Onyx Equinox) and...Shenmue I guess?
bennyl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:28 pm Reply with quote
It's like someone said, "let's take the worst part of any anime, the weird human form wireframe 3d models, and make the entire show that." Crunchy, if you wanted to blow a couple million bucks, you could have just given everyone half off their subs.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
People complain about Netflix Originals anime but they have a much better track record than Crunchyroll Originals thus far.
Haven't Netflix being doing it longer than Crunchyroll? I'm not letting CR off the hook or anything like that.
PotatoGirl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Studio Orange and Polygon Pictures have been working so hard to make people respect 3D anime and they had the absolute nerve to shit this out...
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:59 pm Reply with quote
IDK, looks fine to me. Not great or amazing but OK.
Vee-Tee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:21 pm Reply with quote
lol and i thought RWBY had awkward animation at times
lostrune

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:23 pm Reply with quote
PotatoGirl wrote:
Studio Orange and Polygon Pictures have been working so hard to make people respect 3D anime and they had the absolute nerve to shit this out...

I see people trash those shows all the time. Sure, this looks worse than a Polygon Pictures or Studio Orange show, but that doesn't suddenly make their works good. They have issues of their own and will most likely never reach the mass appeal of 2D anime has.

Beatdigga wrote:
But Crunchyroll, woof. God of High School, Nobleese, and Tower of God are at their best, considered merely OK. Then we have a show that may never get released because it was the personal project of a sex pest (FreakAngels), a show that looked so bad from conception it negatively colored the brand and still gets bought up to make fun of originals (High Guardian Spice), an Avatar clone after those have proven to be complete failures (Onyx Equinox) and...Shenmue I guess?

I don't think it's fair to lump all those shows together. The Chinese and Korean stuff isn't my cup of tea, but maybe the people who were into those web comics or like other Asian animation like them. They probably served their purpose in what they were meant to be. On the other hand the western produced stuff are generally pet projects that were never intended to have mass appeal. They basically all tried to be the next RWBY but didn't understand why RWBY became popular in the first place. From what this looks like, this could have been some bizzare flex to prove non-anime people can make anime better than anime people. You know, like those people like Miyazaki who say anime's problem is it's full of anime fans who can't offer outside perspectives, or whatever, and complain about it being insular. So they brought in some outside industry people to try their hand and we got this.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:46 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:

I don't think it's fair to lump all those shows together. The Chinese and Korean stuff isn't my cup of tea, but maybe the people who were into those web comics or like other Asian animation like them. They probably served their purpose in what they were meant to be. On the other hand the western produced stuff are generally pet projects that were never intended to have mass appeal. They basically all tried to be the next RWBY but didn't understand why RWBY became popular in the first place. From what this looks like, this could have been some bizzare flex to prove non-anime people can make anime better than anime people. You know, like those people like Miyazaki who say anime's problem is it's full of anime fans who can't offer outside perspectives, or whatever, and complain about it being insular. So they brought in some outside industry people to try their hand and we got this.

If that was their goal, they proved the opposite. It’s still a question mark if HGS and FreakAngels see the light of day at this point. This whole thing reminds me of the debacle on SyFy, their magical girl parody, when it was clear that the writers really, really didn’t like anime and were convinced they could do it better and the end result was a trainwreck.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
This whole thing reminds me of the debacle on SyFy, their magical girl parody, when it was clear that the writers really, really didn’t like anime and were convinced they could do it better and the end result was a trainwreck.

I never heard about that. Care to explain which series or movie you're talking about?
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe that Crunchyroll allowed this out into the wild with their name on it. This is just...an absolute embarrassment. It makes Kemono Friends look like a $200 million Hollywood production. But at least Kemono Friends' animation had some charm to it, and was a lighthearted comedy not a super-serious scifi action series. CR should have eaten the loss and bailed.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:36 pm Reply with quote
It always amazes me how non animation folks can go “eh, we’ll mocap it and fix it in post!”. That’s so staggeringly NOT how mocap works. Even really good mocap needs to be cleaned up to remove most if not all of the random jitters we make unconsciously (Naughty Dog is the undisputed king of this style), and you still need to know how animation works when you adapt raw mocap footage into stuff you can actually use. RWBY does this, where they have a library of mocap martial arts moves, but they put in the work to clean it up and speed it up in places so it better fits the anime-esque nature of the RWBY world. You need even MORE knowledge about animation to know how to adapt mocap performances for an animated work, not less.

These guys would’ve benefitted a lot from hiring game animators, me thinks. This is just very, very clearly beginner level animation, with a team that is in way over their heads. I would genuinely cancel this.

EDIT: I checked the credits on the Visual Flight demo; you know how many animators they had? Three.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

In/spectre had various issues, even some in animation but its animation was never anythin special to begin with. Even God of Highschool had outright bad animation when you ignore all the big fights. They didn't BALANCE the budget well in GoH but those big moments were all people seemed to pay attention to (and the trash story lol).

Tonikaku Kawaii again is something that works with average animation. Probably their best work overall so far, but I'm curious how much influence they even had. So far CR Originals have been among the worst of their respective season (except Tonikaku Kawaii). Not surprised to see how bad this upcoming show is gonna be

I actually thought In/Spectre's direction and animation was fairly good for the kind of production it was.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:58 pm Reply with quote
It should be required viewing for mocap animators to have to watch the 2011 Adventures of Tintin movie.
Grendel8
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:55 pm Reply with quote
The hell... What was that I just watched?? I was able to animate better in 3D manually when I was in school, without using any motion capture data. This looks like some of the projects I have seen made by students, who were still inexperienced. This is not the quality I expect from a professional production. To say the least, it does not look promising at all.
PotatoGirl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:26 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
PotatoGirl wrote:

I see people trash those shows all the time. Sure, this looks worse than a Polygon Pictures or Studio Orange show, but that doesn't suddenly make their works good. They have issues of their own and will most likely never reach the mass appeal of 2D anime has.

I mean their work on HNK was critically acclaimed and Beastars was extremely popular so they're definitely doing something right (mostly by not treating 3D identically to live-action...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4