• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crunchyroll Surpasses 4 Million Subscribers, Announces 'Dantai' Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:35 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
Can i ask, have any of Crunchyroll originals so far been any successful? as i all i keep hearing are failures after failure not unless you count a few titles that helped co-produce.

Tower of God is the one that’s the most stable in terms of quality so far.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:38 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
Can i ask, have any of Crunchyroll originals so far been any successful? as i all i keep hearing are failures after failure not unless you count a few titles that helped co-produce.

(1) In/Spectre -> midly successful that it got Season 2
(2) Tower of God -> most well received among the Webtoons
(3) Gibiate -> became laughingstock of the anime community in 2020 and the ONLY full length TV anime who got a MAL score below 4, prior to EX-ARM
(4) God of High School -> got many views, but most of the people who watched it didn't like how the show turned out. Rated as one of the "worst 2020 anime" by one of the reviewers here in ANN.
(5) Noblesse -> no one cared about it
(6) Tonikawa -> one of the most successful Crunchyroll Originals
(7) Onyx Equinox -> I can say that this one flopped. The fact that CR decided to dump the last 6 episodes of the show all at once during Christmas shows their desperation for it to get some views.
(8) So I'm a Spider, So What? -> I'm not sure how successful this one is
(9) Dr. Ramune -> no one cares about this show.
(10) EX-ARM -> In just 6 months, it dethroned Gibiate as the laughingstock of the anime community. It is one of the lowest rated full-length TV anime in MAL, with a score of 2.25.

paulchaested wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:
So after a series of disasters called Crunchyroll Originals (i.e. Gibiate, Ex-ARM, High Guardian Spice which they haven't even bother releasing, Onyx Equinox which everyone rightfully snubbed, etc.) they are now throwing subscribers money to make an Akudama Drive knock-off, then. Am I right?

EDIT: Seriously, who asked for this? I'm really hoping that once Sony bought Crunchyroll that Sony/Funimation will do the right thing and shut Crunchyroll down, then transfer every CR license to Funi.

EDIT 2: BTW, they still aren't paying their translators properly.

Sony shutting down CR? Not gonna happen, especially if CR keeps growing like this and also especially how they still grew THIS MUCH even when all odds were stacked against them (AT&T not reinvesting and siphoning CR's profits and the combined might of Sony/Funi/Aniplex/Bilibili/Hulu/Wakanim/Madman)

At the very least, I'm hoping that Sony will fire ALL current Crunchyroll executives.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:54 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Seriously, who asked for this?

Aren't these usually vanity projects? Celebrity cartoons have been around since Fat Albert. Sometimes you get some good ones though like Jackie Chan Adventures or Class of 3000.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:26 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:

(3) Gibiate -> became laughingstock of the anime community in 2020 and the ONLY full length TV anime who got a MAL score below 4, prior to EX-ARM
(4) God of High School -> got many views, but most of the people who watched it didn't like how the show turned out. Rated as one of the "worst 2020 anime" by one of the reviewers here in ANN.
(7) Onyx Equinox -> I can say that this one flopped. The fact that CR decided to dump the last 6 episodes of the show all at once during Christmas shows their desperation for it to get some views.
(10) EX-ARM -> In just 6 months, it dethroned Gibiate as the laughingstock of the anime community. It is one of the lowest rated full-length TV anime in MAL, with a score of 2.25.

paulchaested wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:
So after a series of disasters called Crunchyroll Originals (i.e. Gibiate, Ex-ARM, High Guardian Spice which they haven't even bother releasing, Onyx Equinox which everyone rightfully snubbed, etc.) they are now throwing subscribers money to make an Akudama Drive knock-off, then. Am I right?

EDIT: Seriously, who asked for this? I'm really hoping that once Sony bought Crunchyroll that Sony/Funimation will do the right thing and shut Crunchyroll down, then transfer every CR license to Funi.

Sony shutting down CR? Not gonna happen, especially if CR keeps growing like this and also especially how they still grew THIS MUCH even when all odds were stacked against them (AT&T not reinvesting and siphoning CR's profits and the combined might of Sony/Funi/Aniplex/Bilibili/Hulu/Wakanim/Madman)

At the very least, I'm hoping that Sony will fire ALL current Crunchyroll executives.

so out of 10 shows so far only 3 of them were a success, just a modest one so a success rate of 30% does not seem to bold well for a company that is suppose to cater to anime.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:19 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:

paulchaested wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:

so out of 10 shows so far only 3 of them were a success, just a modest one so a success rate of 30% does not seem to bold well for a company that is suppose to cater to anime.

10 doesn't always predict the whole future of the company you know.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:56 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:

Yes let’s hope Crunchyroll’s original line gets mothballed, no one but the opportunity to slap Elba’s name on it was probably too tempting to pass up, and let’s hope Sony pays better.
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:

Some thoughts:
1. Even if it says "Crunchyroll originals", they are not exactly made or paid by them alone (For example, So I am a Spider…it's produced by the "So I'm a Spider, So What? PARTNERS" which Crunchyroll is just one of them).
2. Original works are quite new to CR: before the first one, 99,9% of their catalogue didn't belong to them.
3. I don't really think anyone would subscribe to a streaming service for ten series.

Could the series have been better? Probably, but that's another issue.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the anti-industry saboteurs' efforts to tank CR's numbers (by trying to convince paying consumers to pirate instead) continue to fail. Or if anything, they've only managed to slow the rate of increase.

Madster wrote:
Swiftyy wrote:
A big shame knowing that Crunchyroll have gained 1 million subscribers in six months and the translators and other folks involved in making sure the episodes are able to premier on time still aren't paid a fair.

Something like this was bound to happen sadly. Hell, the last time the anime community brought the issue of translator wages to Crunchyroll they shrugged it off as "internet drama". Crunchyroll is going after the money while disregarding the people who helped them get to where they're at now. Gotta fund a new studio somehow!

To some extent, it was Internet drama. A lot of the finger-wagging over low translator pay came from anime viewers who weren't paying for CR in the first place, yet had no qualms about enjoying those translators' work for free via ripped CR streams and re-encodes of them on bootleg streaming sites. It's the same crocodile tears that self-righteous pirates cry for "the animators" to justify not paying for anime, even while they participate in those same animators' exploitation by enjoying their work for free.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:

Wasn't Shield Hero one of the Crunchyroll originals?
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:58 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:

No. Its not. Crunchyroll didn't brand Shield Hero as a CR-original, just like their other co-productions like Yuru-Camp, Sora Yori Tooi Basho, Somali and the Forest Spirit (you know, the legitimately good anime).
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:01 pm Reply with quote
The shows Crunchyroll has been part of in the context of production committees have done well.

The Crunchyroll Originals line is a trainwreck.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
The shows Crunchyroll has been part of in the context of production committees have done well.

The Crunchyroll Originals line is a trainwreck.

Not completely, see the other post.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:35 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:

It was a co-production, basically they helped in part for the production but it is not produced by themselves, hence it is not labelled as such.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:09 am Reply with quote
Crunchyroll announced on Twitter this morning that "We’ve completed our scheduled maintenance! Thank you all for your patience and support." Nevertheless I still get this when trying to access the service via its Roku app. (Been that way for nearly a week now.)

DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:45 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Crunchyroll announced on Twitter this morning that "We’ve completed our scheduled maintenance! Thank you all for your patience and support." Nevertheless I still get this when trying to access the service via its Roku app. (Been that way for nearly a week now.)

The Crunchyroll Roku app is such a piece of egregious garbage that I use the VRV app instead. (Which is still garbage, but at least it's more-or-less functional garbage.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3