• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Report: U.S. Justice Department Extends Antitrust Review of Sony's Proposed Acquisition of Cru

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:

They still keep licensing movies and own the rights to studio ghobli movies. Don't give me that. Plus I can't believe I forgot about Viz media who licenses the big time shows frequently.
Throw in the aforementioned Netflix, plus Amazon and Hulu and the numbers start adding up. CR has made a brand for itself as an anime streaming platform, while the rest are + anime, so we tend to forget there are other platforms doing it
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:

They still keep licensing movies and own the rights to studio ghobli movies. Don't give me that. Plus I can't believe I forgot about Viz media who licenses the big time shows frequently.

Prettttttyyy sure you're confusing 4Kids with GKids, who's an entierly different company. 4Kids is completely dead beyond their old recording space still be used for dubbing YGO. Viz also doesn't really pick up or compete for new licenses in enough frequency to really be considered an actual competitor to CR and Funi. The only real one they have is Netflix, and even that's arguable since Netflix mostly does their own thing, and generally doesn't go after seasonal pickups. Sony having both entities wouldn't be a total monopoly in the strict sense, but as far as seasonal simulcasts go it'd be pretty close, and I can't imagine JP licensors would be particularly happy about it considering it'd probably drive down the prices for new licenses.

Personally I'd prefer CR and Funi stay separate. Sony would have way too much sway over the international market for anime, and there's no telling whether or not they'd exploit that later down the line.
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget that AT&T wants to get rid of Crunchyroll regardless if Sony can't get it AT&T will either sell it for less or starve them of funding till it dies will using any income for other things in the meantime.
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Sentai is a weird x factor. VRV combines them in the US but nowhere else so while they would have total control in the US not in Canada
chronium

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:44 pm Reply with quote
There's also other services like Tubi TV that don't advertise that they have anime.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:23 pm Reply with quote
They didn't stop Disney from buying Fox, so though I would prefer things to stay as they are, I doubt they'll stop Sony from buying Crunchyroll in the long run.
zrdb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:57 pm Reply with quote
It's about time somebody put the brakes on this screwed up deal.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:

Prettttttyyy sure you're confusing 4Kids with GKids, who's an entierly different company. 4Kids is completely dead beyond their old recording space still be used for dubbing YGO. Viz also doesn't really pick up or compete for new licenses in enough frequency to really be considered an actual competitor to CR and Funi. The only real one they have is Netflix, and even that's arguable since Netflix mostly does their own thing, and generally doesn't go after seasonal pickups. Sony having both entities wouldn't be a total monopoly in the strict sense, but as far as seasonal simulcasts go it'd be pretty close, and I can't imagine JP licensors would be particularly happy about it considering it'd probably drive down the prices for new licenses.

Personally I'd prefer CR and Funi stay separate. Sony would have way too much sway over the international market for anime, and there's no telling whether or not they'd exploit that later down the line.

I think your right on the 4kids gkids thing. Those are easy to confuse in all fairness.

As for them staying seperate crunchyroll had a prime opportunity post funimation split to really go after creating an in house dubbing studio and even doing their own home video release but they still can't even figure that out. At the end of the day for those two reasons it would just be better for them to be under the sony/funimation umbrella seeing as how those two at least know how to handle those 2 aforementioned subjects.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Please watch the massive over quoting. The massive amounts on imbedded quotes in pages breaks pages for mobile users and just is unsightly. A few of you (Lynx Raven Raide & Lord Vaultman) do this alot. I fixed the posts. Please watch the massive quote mountains. Thank you.
idkAlan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:29 pm Reply with quote
scowler wrote:

Sony's strongest defense is that Netflix does license a lot of new anime as well. Is that a strong enough case? We'll see.

I mean, Sony could also use as a "defense/deflection", that Netflix, which is Funimation's and Crunchyroll's biggest competitor, predominantly acquires the full distribution rights to its anime licenses. Which is why the vast majority of said Netflix licenses aren't given physical releases excluding Japan. Meanwhile, Funimation and even Crunchyroll, will give the majority of it's simulcasts where they acquired the full license a physical release.

If the DoJ is supposedly worried about Sony using its possible monopoly to limit physical releases or digital streaming, then it should go after other services that already do that, not just go after a company that can potentially do that.
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:56 am Reply with quote
My guess is that the Biden administration is going after Sony, not because they care about the possibility of a monopoly over the anime market that much but because they want to appear tough on corporations that look like they are amassing too much power and Sony and AT&T's deal just had the bad luck to show up on their radar as they came into power.

The Disney-Fox deal happened on Trump's watch and he had no real beef with them. The AT&T's WarnerMedia deal on the other hand just so happened to involve CNN, so called champion of "fake news" which made the parties involved enemies that The Donald and his minions would seek to thwart. But if the Republicans were still in control, then this wouldn't be much of issue at all.
matt78

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:47 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Honestly there is no valid reason why Sony needs CR, they have both their own branch(Aniplex USA) and Funimation.

I always thought the reason why Sony wanted Crunchyroll had little to do with the North American market and more to do with the international markets. To me it seems like a faster and likely cheaper way for them to expand their anime streaming services globally. Doesn't Crunchyroll stream in Asia, Africa and South America? As far as I know Sony's various streaming services mainly cover N. America, Europe and Australia with Funimation only now starting to stream in S.America.
stonehand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:28 am Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
ReNellGlover wrote:

Except 4Kids has been dead for nearly a decade.

I think you are thinking of gkids. They have had the rights for the later Studio Ghibli films. gkids have licensed may newer films. Disney had the rights for the older Ghibli ones.
helln00

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:04 am Reply with quote
I remember that legally, monopolies aren't illegal in the US, only improper use of market power. So as long as a deal doesn't result in a situation where a party outright restricts and controls their market, the government aint stopping them. Its not like Europe and elsewhere where the power of the competition authority is to prevent monopolies

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:08 am Reply with quote
17563 animes on myanimelist to "monopolize" = "antitrust" is so content in this world of movie and series that it is impossible to "monopolize" = "antitrust" all this, so many other companies that are not mentioned in an article to always say "antitrust" they forget that there is so much with so many sublicenses besides

netflix, hulu, hidive / sentai filmworks, prime video, tubi, digital media rights, g kids, youtube premium, d-rights, bilibili, ConTV, Gundam.Info, IQIYI International, NicoNico, VIZ Media ...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3