• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Blue Relection Ray Anime's Home Video Release Canceled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Welp, there's doing poorly and then there's this. Ouch.

MFrontier wrote:
And this is supposed to be a 2-cour...

Ah damn, the way the story was going I thought it would end in a couple episodes.
I wonder if the show itself will get cancelled after this cour. Isn't it supposed to be a prequel to the next game?

Sirsumsrince wrote:
I don't really get why they decided to make this into a series instead of giving Atelier another shot given the success of Ryza. Really seems like they put all their chips into a borderline pointless endeavour.

I'm not disparaging those who enjoy it, I'm sure both the game and anime are perfectly fine, but I don't think the franchise had the audience for a successful anime.

At this point all I can say is screw Ryza already.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

MFrontier wrote:

Ah damn, the way the story was going I thought it would end in a couple episodes.
I wonder if the show itself will get cancelled after this cour. Isn't it supposed to be a prequel to the next.

Anime is made in advance these days, normally. I’m guessing everything’s wrapped up.
Seasons can’t be canceled. They’re made for the length they were planned.
(Long-running shows are different of course)
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:30 pm Reply with quote
So I checked out twitter and their was a recent tweet saying that they would be changing the release date of the blu-ray or at least releasing the blurays in a different manner than intended. Either way it seems like they still intend to release them to home video.

Can someone with better Japanese skills than I take a look at this: https://twitter.com/BRRAY_anime/status/1404750822605352964
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:40 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Anime is made in advance these days, normally. I’m guessing everything’s wrapped up.

What I understand is that the industry is in such a state that overwork and crunch are the norm, with shows being planned and slotted far in advance bt actual production of each episode finishing not too long (weeks, days, hours) before it airs, sometimes missing the deadline which is how we get recaps or animation that just melts.
Blue Reflection is pretty rough and some sequences are unfinished (and now that the BDs have been cancelled, that's how it will remain) so I'm pretty sure that, for instance, episode 14 hasn't been finished yet.

If the project's profitability has gone up in flames, an option will always be to use the mid-season climax as the series' end and just cancel the rest, saving themselves the costs of producing and airing what remains.
However, if this is supposed to be a prequel for a soon to be released game, that isn't a sensible option (although they could always do something like turning the second half of this story into a LN or something, but that would be bad press for the game).
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Spike Terra wrote:
So I checked out twitter and their was a recent tweet saying that they would be changing the release date of the blu-ray or at least releasing the blurays in a different manner than intended. Either way it seems like they still intend to release them to home video.

Can someone with better Japanese skills than I take a look at this: https://twitter.com/BRRAY_anime/status/1404750822605352964

The tweet says they're currently working to deliver the show [on home video] in a different way.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:54 pm Reply with quote
This reminds me how Phantom in the Twilight never got a BD release and I really liked this show. I personally think Blue Reflection Ray has been one of the better post Madoka dark magical girl shows I've seen in recent years and I honestly don't think the animation is that bad and I think it has an interesting art style to it that I like. I guess this news means it probably won't be getting a simiuldub either.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Sirsumsrince wrote:
I don't really get why they decided to make this into a series instead of giving Atelier another shot given the success of Ryza. Really seems like they put all their chips into a borderline pointless endeavour.

I haven't played Ryza so I'm not sure if it's different, but it honestly seems like Atelier just wouldn't work well as an anime. I mean the entire point (at least from the ones I played) is just get materials, do alchemy, and watch cute cutscenes if you're lucky. Now that works great in game form, but anime is a different story (I haven't seen the Escha and Logy anime but my friend tells me it's very mediocre).
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:51 pm Reply with quote
A lot of the Atelier storytelling formula is "throw a bunch of funny characters together and watch them bump off of each other". There are a bunch of anime subgenres that work this way, so it wouldn't be any harder to do than any other CGDCT anime, or sitcom anime, or relaxation anime. (Which, of course, isn't easy, but the franchise doesn't seem like much of a constraint on what can be done)
Charou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:07 pm Reply with quote
It was merely average in a stupidly stacked season. We didn't hate it but when you're up to 20 shows a week something has to go. We didn't notice we'd dropped I for a week or two.

It just felt like a lost, aimless mix of stuff like granbelm, Madoka, wonder egg, assault lily...but with nothing else really going for it. No sakuga. No huge seiyuu. No unusual twists on the genre.

Definitely didn't hate it but this season had just too much to love for all sorts of good and bad reasons.
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:01 am Reply with quote
Very sad. I disagree that this show is average. It's actually been the surprise of the season for me. I honestly haven't seen writing and handling of female characters and their relationships this good since Maria-sama ga Miteru. My feelings are best expressed by pasting what I wrote on a discord that I follow:

Quote:
Guys, listen...if you like/care about mahou shoujo even a little bit, you need to be watching Blue Reflection Ray. I genuinely think that, Nanoha aside, this may actually be the best mahou shoujo anime I've ever seen. Not for its overarching plot or its action, but for the strength and eloquence of writing in its characters and their relationships - so wonderfully, refreshingly lean on the usual anime tropeyness - and the authenticity of its feminine viewpoint. This show is numerous cuts above mahou shoujos that are much more famous and remembered than this will ever be, and every episode I come away impressed again. I know it seems like an unassuming little video game tie-in, and there's no doubt its ultimate destiny is to be dismissed and forgotten, but if I have any credibility at all with you, you'll listen to what I have to say on this... Watch Blue Reflection Ray.

Turns out I was even more right than I realized about its fate, though. It will hardly be the first good show to fail financially, but not even getting a disc release in Japan seems especially bad. I just hope they can at least finish out the two cours without tanking the quality.
#noffa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:12 am Reply with quote
That's what I expect when they ruin Kishida Mel's designs so hard, and that's about the only charm point of the game, aside from the OSTs.
One look at the PV and characters, and the majority of the fans ran away for sure.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:47 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
This is how anime becomes lost media, I'll give this 10 years before you see videos listing this anime as lost media all because of no disc release.

As long as some torrents are up/fans have it backed up, its going to be hard for it to become 'lost.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:18 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:

MFrontier wrote:

I wonder if the show itself will get cancelled after this cour. Isn't it supposed to be a prequel to the next.

They should have made this a split cour, then they could have had the chance to gauge the popularity of the show and cancel the second cour.

IMO with sailor moon crystal and now this, magical girls with a shoujo vibe are now basically DOA.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:47 am Reply with quote
There's nothing wrong with liking this show, but some of y'all are saying "well maybe they will make up for it by giving us a US DUB"

This show is a financial failure. Why the hell would they burn money that they need to dub shows people are actually watching and will buy physical versions of.

Yes, they are going to release it in a different way, but the fact they had to cancel the first form of release is telling.
Urizithar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:10 am Reply with quote
Tenebrae wrote:
Easy to guess what the "various circumstances" is. While IMO the show is merely average, not bad in a bad way, audience at large seems to be thinking otherwise. The preorders must've been so low a physical release is not financially viable.

Sometimes average is worse than bad. It just means it doesn't invoke any strong emotions in people. Good or otherwise.

I have same take on this. It wasn't the worst thing that aired that season but it didn't had anything that would keep me checking after first episode. It's the kind of a show I will not even remember soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3