• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Misfit of Demon King Academy Manga Creator Kayaharuka Passes Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for your hard work. It is unfortunate to go out like this. Cancer sucks. I can only hope you spent your last days doing what you enjoyed. RIP.
Dextres

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I nearly drop my phone seeing the news here just now.

Oh my god.

I need a moment to regroup myself.
Sparvid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:25 am Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
anstar019 wrote:
Isn't it weird that they announced manga cancelation after the death ???

Japan has very strict privacy laws which is mostly the reason why it takes a while for a death to be announced to the public.

But why would the publisher bother to separately announce the end of the manga in the first place, knowing that a death announcement was coming soon with 100% certainty? It's not like a week would make any difference for the readers, who weren't expecting any of this.

Basically, Kayaharuka decided to end the manga because of cancer treatments, wrote a message to the readers explaining this, and passed away presumably shortly afterwards. Then the following day the publisher put up the message, instead of just holding it off a few days and include it with the death announcement along with a note of "Kayaharuka wrote this, but unfortunately passed away before it could be published"
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:49 am Reply with quote
Sparvid wrote:

But why would the publisher bother to separately announce the end of the manga in the first place, knowing that a death announcement was coming soon with 100% certainty? It's not like a week would make any difference for the readers, who weren't expecting any of this.

Basically, Kayaharuka decided to end the manga because of cancer treatments, wrote a message to the readers explaining this, and passed away presumably shortly afterwards. Then the following day the publisher put up the message, instead of just holding it off a few days and include it with the death announcement along with a note of "Kayaharuka wrote this, but unfortunately passed away before it could be published"

It also seems plausible that the publisher just didn't know of Kayaharuka's death when the cancellation announcement was posted, given that they passed the day before the announcement was posted. Given the privacy laws in Japan and the fact that the author's family was (and I'm sure still is) mourning their death and preparing for the funeral, it seems reasonable that the publisher wasn't notified until a few days later.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
This is every manga author's worst nightmare. Crying or Very sad

RIP, Kayaharuka-sensei

Are you implying that having the manga canceled is the worst nightmare? If so that's rather insensitive given the situation. If you're implying that dying is every manga author's worst nightmare, I'm pretty sure it's just about everyone's worst nightmare.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2