• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Streams New Shaman King Anime's English Dub Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I need an honest answer here, as someone who only watched maybe 1 or 2 episodes of the original Shaman King Anime back in the day, should I uh... just watch it subbed? I don't normally mind dubs (I mean I'm getting old man, sometimes reading subtitles just puts me to sleep Anime hyper) but I'm a little wary reading that original 4Kids VA are coming back because I do not have fond memories of 4Kids, and the fact it's Netflix which always feels hit or miss.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:00 pm Reply with quote
AntiKuro wrote:
Okay, I need an honest answer here, as someone who only watched maybe 1 or 2 episodes of the original Shaman King Anime back in the day, should I uh... just watch it subbed? I don't normally mind dubs (I mean I'm getting old man, sometimes reading subtitles just puts me to sleep Anime hyper) but I'm a little wary reading that original 4Kids VA are coming back because I do not have fond memories of 4Kids, and the fact it's Netflix which always feels hit or miss.

Ok, let's get this out of the way.

The 4kids actors were great. From actors like Jason Griffith and Mike Pollock, to even one piece having Marc Driason(Guts from Berserk 97) as Zoro(sorry, Zolo).

The direction and scripts were the problem. The stupid accents, censorship, etc. I am all for giving the actors a second chance. Again, 4kids is perfectly competent(watch uncut Yu-Gi-Oh as an example).
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:06 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Were people really clamoring for them to get back a 4Kids dub cast? I know people like consistency, but... really?
it's even weirder that Netflix are doing it, other times they bring in a new cast. What was so special about this dub.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:21 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Were people really clamoring for them to get back a 4Kids dub cast? I know people like consistency, but... really?
it's even weirder that Netflix are doing it, other times they bring in a new cast. What was so special about this dub.

Like others said, it was one of the better performances of the 4Kids dubs.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Trailer sounds good! Im excited to check it out.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:54 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Perhaps Takei's insistance of keeping the casts the same bled over to the English side of things or they actually listened to fans. I know Veronica Taylor was trying to drum up support on Twitter when the anime was announced.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Perhaps Takei's insistance of keeping the casts the same bled over to the English side of things or they actually listened to fans. I know Veronica Taylor was trying to drum up support on Twitter when the anime was announced.

Given certain replacements, I'm not sure if it counts fully as same.
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Somer-_- wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Given certain replacements, I'm not sure if it counts fully as same.

The three who we know for sure are replacements Yoh, Hao and Ren are also the ones whose original English VAs would've been the hardest to get back since Sebastian Arcelus and ESPECIALLY Andrew Rannells do a lot of work on Broadway and such so getting new actors for them was probably gonna happen regardless even if I do wish Sebastian could have reprised Yoh and Hao (though I guess the latter can't be totally ruled out yet).

Otherwise if they've gotten this much of the old cast back, I'm sure they'll let whoever is available reprise their roles. At the very least it's probably a good bet Veronica Taylor, Dan Green and Erica Schroeder will reprise Tamao, Silva and Lyserg since all three are still active in some capacity
SakuraShimizu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I may be one of the few that's very disappointed in Yoh's new voice. When I was 12 I watched Shaman King every Saturday morning so the dub is super nostalgic for me. But also I never really liked Yoh sounding so feminine. I much preferred his voice deeper. Also he wouldn't be talking about wanting to be a rock star and wanting cheeseburgers in this dub. That was just the weird 4kids script. I might still watch the dub just to check it out, but I'm still very sad.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:22 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Just seems like a nostalgia thing. Some re-dubs/remakes do it, some don't. Doesn't seem to have a pattern. Viz Sailor Moon recast everyone, and they used the same cast for Crystal. Funi One Piece recast everyone. Meanwhile Digimon Tri brought back the English cast, as did Fruits Basket. For stuff like Fruits Baskets which was already a non-hacked up TV dub I don't see the issue, but honestly TV dubs need to stay in the past. People can't blame all the faults of those dubs on the voice director. Some voice actors genuinely do not fit the characters or are just plain bad. At the bare minimum, they should ditch the silly British and Latino accents.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Happy to hear Oliver Wyman (Manta), Lisa Ortiz (Tao Jun), Michael Sinterniklaas (Horo Horo), Tara Sands (Anna), Marc Thompson (Johann Faust VIII) and surprisingly enough Sean Schemmel (Amidamaru) are returning to reprise their old roles from the 2001 series dubbed by 4Kids which is good news and a "win" for the fans who grew up watching the dub of the original 2001 series on the FoxBox in the early 2000's and wanted to see the original actors to reprise their roles for the 2021 series. No doubt that Veronica Taylor (Tamao), Erica Schroeder (Lyserg), Dan Green (Lee Pyron) and Carrie Keranen (Marion) could also return and reprise their old roles for the dub of the 2021 series.

Yoh Asakura, Tao Ren and Hao Asakura respectively are no doubt voiced by woman VA's just like their seiyuu's and not Sebastian Arcelus and Andrew Rannells respectively. For Yoh, I think it's either Erica Mendez or Laura Stahl that's voicing him but it's hard to distinguish between them since both voice actresses have a similar vocal range/timbre and have voiced characters that sound almost the same as one another. For Tao Ren, it's probably Suzie Yeung or Emi Lo and as for Hao Asakura, it's probably Cristina Vee since I could hear traces of her Killua voice in Hao.

Happy to see NYAV Post is dubbing the 2021 Shaman King series while bringing back some of the original voice actors from the dub of the 2001 series along with new voice actors for the 2021 series. On top of that, this is their first Shonen series they have dubbed for almost two decades since Midori Days and Bakuman in the early 2000's. In addition, this would be NYAV Post's first or second long-running series dubbed at the studio since Mobile Suit Gundam Seed/Mobile Suit Gundam Seed: Destiny.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Watch Sentai get the home video rights and have to either release it sub only or do their own dub with an entirely different cast.

I think Funimation could get this since they previously got the home Video license to Cannon Busters which was dubbed at NYAV Post and kept the Netflix dub of it. Besides you're overthinking yourself that EVERY Netflix anime series will be licensed by Sentai Filmworks with some of them getting redubs based in Houston, when literally only 2 had received redubs (Baki and Hero Mask).

Ryuji-Dono wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Like others said, it was one of the better performances of the 4Kids dubs.

Also, Netflix wanted to bring back some of the returning voice cast from the 2001 series for the 2021 dub, and what better studio to use than NYAV Post which Netflix has been using since 2019.

Somer-_- wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Even Anna's voice actress, Tara Sands also voiced her support on the 2021 Shaman King series as well along with returning to voice Anna.
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Edited dub VAs reprising their roles for an uncut dub is something I haven't seen happen in over a decade. Even as someone who's only seen Shaman King in Japanese, I'm excited to see how this plays out. It'll be fun seeing how they do with better material/hopefully direction. And New York doesn't get enough non-edited dubs nowadays.

I also like that they decided to skew closer to the Japanese casting for Yoh, Ren and Hao. It goes to show they'll try and match the Japanese for any recasts, which I think is a wise decision to make. Only one I'm not sold on yet is Ren. I LOVE Romi Park's Ren, and I was hoping for a similarly deep voice to match. But maybe it'll sound better in the actual dub. Least they lost the British accent for the canonically Chinese character.

And speaking of accents, if they do them, I'm hoping they do them right this time around. Lyserg's the canon Brit of the group, so that's who should have the British accent.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:09 pm Reply with quote
In the Latin American trailer Yoh, Amidamaru, Manta, Hao, Faust VIII Len and Jun kept their original voices, we'll have to wait to find if characters like Ryu, Lyserg, Chocolove will be voiced by their original voice actors as well. Curiously, Amidamaru was voiced by a different voice actor in the last 11 episodes of the original anime but his original actor came back for this version.
Weirdly enough, in Latin America Netflix has decided to name the show "Rey Chamán", which is a literal translation, but when the original anime was broadcasted here in the early '00s it was referred by it's original name in English. Very few shows get their names translated into Spanish these days.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:23 pm Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
Edited dub VAs reprising their roles for an uncut dub is something I haven't seen happen in over a decade. Even as someone who's only seen Shaman King in Japanese, I'm excited to see how this plays out. It'll be fun seeing how they do with better material/hopefully direction. And New York doesn't get enough non-edited dubs nowadays.

I also like that they decided to skew closer to the Japanese casting for Yoh, Ren and Hao. It goes to show they'll try and match the Japanese for any recasts, which I think is a wise decision to make. Only one I'm not sold on yet is Ren. I LOVE Romi Park's Ren, and I was hoping for a similarly deep voice to match. But maybe it'll sound better in the actual dub. Least they lost the British accent for the canonically Chinese character.

And speaking of accents, if they do them, I'm hoping they do them right this time around. Lyserg's the canon Brit of the group, so that's who should have the British accent.

I wonder if Sean Schemmel will still voice Ryu with an accent.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Its a decent giveaway prize to have a vast majority of the old dub crew lacing up again for the new Shaman King dub. I'm not digging Yoh's new dub voice would of been more fitting with a male voice actor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3