• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Prime Video Lists New English Dub Cast for 1st 3 Rebuild of Evangelion Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:07 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
So they got Amanda Winn Lee back as Rei Ayanami. Why was she replaced in the Funimation dub, was it something about having a sick child or was that someone else.

I recall hearing her son was seriously sick with cancer (could be something else) which is why she largely quit acting in the mid-2000s. I also recall hearing she was interested in returning but Funimation never reached out to her, BUT I want to stress I have no idea of that's true or not.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
So they got Amanda Winn Lee back as Rei Ayanami. Why was she replaced in the Funimation dub, was it something about having a sick child or was that someone else.

I recall hearing her son was seriously sick with cancer (could be something else) which is why she largely quit acting in the mid-2000s. I also recall hearing she was interested in returning but Funimation never reached out to her, BUT I want to stress I have no idea of that's true or not.

She mentioned at Delta H Con 2019 that FUNi did reach out to her, but she wasn’t interested in traveling back to Texas, and told them to just cast Rei locally. She said that Rei had so few lines, that it wasn’t worth the time, and that she had no interest in the films in general because she thought End of Eva was a nice way to go out with the franchise.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:20 pm Reply with quote
JintoLin wrote:
Those 240+ countries already streaming the first three movies don't seem to include Canada, at least I can't find them on Prime. I hope that's not the case for 3.0 + 1.01. Crying or Very sad

Not on Amazon US either. All I can see when searching Evangelion on the Prime Video app is a placeholder for 3.0 + 1.0 when it comes out on August 13. That’s weird the movies seem to be streaming nearly worldwide already except in North America.
Teraman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why people keep saying the "Funi cast" is back when they threw out everyone Funi actually cast who wasn't a reprisal from the original dub. If anything this seems like a middle finger to Funi.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:23 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
JintoLin wrote:
Those 240+ countries already streaming the first three movies don't seem to include Canada, at least I can't find them on Prime. I hope that's not the case for 3.0 + 1.01. Crying or Very sad

Not on Amazon US either. All I can see when searching Evangelion on the Prime Video app is a placeholder for 3.0 + 1.0 when it comes out on August 13. That’s weird the movies seem to be streaming nearly worldwide already except in North America.

Yeah, I'm really hoping that we'll see all 4 movies in North America - especially with them redubbing them all again. Would be nice to have 1 solid way to watch these movies with the same cast...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I would have preferred the VSI/Netflix cast. Spencer and Grant still play their characters like broad stereotypes, and Mongillo and McKeon don’t.

It looks like I’ll just be watching the movies in Japanese. I hope GKids doesn’t do this with their release of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:30 pm Reply with quote
doesn't Khara supposedly have a tighter control about casting the voices?why did they pick a new cast for the Netflix redub,only to redub the Rebuild movies and changed them back?
It's kinda bizarre they even brought some of the VAs who were only in the Manga Entertainment dub of Death and EoE and pretty much vanished after that.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:33 pm Reply with quote
There’s another new dub?!
OncelostLu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Teraman wrote:
I don't know why people keep saying the "Funi cast" is back when they threw out everyone Funi actually cast who wasn't a reprisal from the original dub. If anything this seems like a middle finger to Funi.

Agreed. Disappointed to see Nishimura and Tatum replaced. Though to be honest, in general I'd rather they just had Funi do the final dub for continuity sake. Next question is, will these new dubs be available on bluray at some point? (I don't remember even seeing anything about a bluray release for the final movie)
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Man, wouldn’t it be a trip if GKIDS did another new dub of the TV series with this cast because they couldn’t use the Netflix dub?

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
merr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:13 pm Reply with quote
This just raises so many questions.

Does it mean Khara never pushed to replace the ADV cast for the Netflix dub? The old actors were given the chance to reaudition but didn’t get the parts then. Was that Khara’s decision, or Netflix’s? If it was Khara’s, why the sudden change of heart? If they suddenly care about continuity, why not stick to the VSI or Funimation casts?

The returning cast from the Manga dub also means Amanda Winn Lee played some role reuniting them. These are actors who basically only worked with her. She was throwing bombs left and right on Twitter when Netfix did the redub. Does Khara not care? Does SHE not care about Kanemitsu’s scripts after she spent so long criticizing them?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:23 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Man, wouldn’t it be a trip if GKIDS did another new dub of the TV series with this cast because they couldn’t use the Netflix dub?

I’m hoping this isn’t the case, but I wouldn’t exactly be surprised at this point. None of the other international versions of the Blu-Ray sets are using their Netflix dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:53 pm Reply with quote
phantom360 wrote:
YES!!! The original cast is back i'm so happy

Wait...I thought people hated the ADV cast?
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
phantom360 wrote:
YES!!! The original cast is back i'm so happy

Wait...I thought people hated the ADV cast?

Hate might be a bit of a strong word. The quality of the old dub hasn't aged gracefully but I don't recall people having major problems with most of the casting choices. Nostalgia helps too, at this point.

If anything, I'm excited to see some of these actors given another shot at these roles. I think Spencer and Grant proved through Funi's movie dubs that another decade of experience and a different voice director can make for huge improvements on the performances given.
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:48 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
This just raises so many questions.

Does it mean Khara never pushed to replace the ADV cast for the Netflix dub? The old actors were given the chance to reaudition but didn’t get the parts then. Was that Khara’s decision, or Netflix’s? If it was Khara’s, why the sudden change of heart? If they suddenly care about continuity, why not stick to the VSI or Funimation casts?

The returning cast from the Manga dub also means Amanda Winn Lee played some role reuniting them. These are actors who basically only worked with her. She was throwing bombs left and right on Twitter when Netfix did the redub. Does Khara not care? Does SHE not care about Kanemitsu’s scripts after she spent so long criticizing them?

There was some discussion last year about the trend of shows having separate English dubs for Netflix and other streaming platforms/home media releases.

https://twitter.com/Divinenega/status/1364275252965031939?s=20
https://twitter.com/vdeviance/status/1364270731811414021?s=20
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5