• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: In the Land of Leadale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:51 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Cryten wrote:
that doesnt seem to believe that she is even alive anymore.

She says that it's the "real world" during her conversation with the other player, so it seems like she believes it's real life

That is not quite what I said and I would have to disagree with her seeing it as real life or at least I do not think she sees this reality as a true reality. When she realises she cannot connect to her VR or communication systems and is then told there appeared to be a sudden power loss she goes "That means..." lets it drift off implying that she understand she is likely dead given she was dependent on constant life support. She knows she is dead (or believes). Additionally in the way she treats everything, she knows this is her life now but her depressions and tantrums have shown she feels alone in this world.

The last part is, of course, interpretation. If you dont believe her actions stem from a detachment from this world it simply says she has a flippant disregard for any other life that isnt important to her. Especially in the way she does not allow others of this world to console her. She seems to find motivation with exploring the world and her digital family only and not with its inhabitants. I think she still see's this place as a game not reality, just the game the last vestiges of her life is inhabiting.

Naturally if the story proves me wrong I am more then willing to just chalk everything up to it being comedy.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:21 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Quote:
Based on what we see, I'm guessing Cayna was a loner though in there lol

Nah, spoiler[she was part of a guild.] You will note that when she finds out that the castle is owned by Opus, she refers to him as a friend and mentor. spoiler[She has already run into a former guild member but doesn't recognize him as he is in a different avatar. He thinks he recognizes her.]
Hyorp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand why the reviews have been so negative for this show.

It has been one of my favorites for the season, just because it's so chill.. In the same realm that By the Grace of Gods was. I'm not here for an epic adventure.. I'm here to see the amusing interactions that Cayna has when she is overpowered, and isn't being chosen as a hero to defeat a demon lord, or anything like that.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

I quickly skimmed through the last 3 episodes and unless this was just said, didn't see any hellscape of dead villagers. Cayna went from the town, to the fort, to a campsite, to the bandits without any scenes of destruction. Was this in the source?

It is certainly more detailed in the Light Novels, as the anime skips a fair bit of stuff that would have really slowed it down. But what I recall from the anime is:
1. The bandits at the border.
2. The loss of trade routes.
3. The attack on her grand-daughter's garrison.
4. Her grandson alludes to more.

While she does not see as much in person in the anime, it is very clear that this bandit leader is on a rampage. She is very much still trying to cope with her new reality.

spoiler[On another note, now that the Fairy has been brought in, we have an interesting mystery. I have not gotten to reveal in the source, but I suspect that her old friend in the lake tower works with the original designers and this "game" environment was intended to be a sort of afterlife for her. Her uncle's company owned the game, and while she never got any special things from that, I think she is now.]
LuScr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Hyorp wrote:
I don't understand why the reviews have been so negative for this show.

It has been one of my favorites for the season, just because it's so chill.. In the same realm that By the Grace of Gods was. I'm not here for an epic adventure.. I'm here to see the amusing interactions that Cayna has when she is overpowered, and isn't being chosen as a hero to defeat a demon lord, or anything like that.

It's the reviewer.

I don't think there's another show this season with a bigger gap between the community scores and the reviewer's ratings.
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I dont think the reviewer wanted a light comedy. And thus hints of deeper things going unspoken or inferred instead of explored fully become frustrating gaps in their expectations. Personally Leadale is a highlight of the week for me. Especially in these grim times.
me_barron

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Heh. It's hilarious how much the reviewer dislikes this show. It's just a really dumb show. Guess they expect it to be deeper than it really is. It's the anime version of cotton candy. Characters are a heck of a lot more likeable than the bland, blandness of Strongest Mage with the Weakest Crest that basically has the same premise.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I thought this weeks episode was much better than most of what we've gotten so far. The two players meeting again while the guild receptionist slowly started clapping was a great bit.

Still, overall, I'm more in line with MrAJCosplay/Cartoon Cipher's feelings on the show.

I haven't watched Weakest Crest, so I can't compare it to that, but Sage's Pupil also has a similar premise (stuck in a game, but years after you last played), and while it's not a high tier show by any means, I'm personally enjoying it more than Leadale even though I was expecting the opposite.

@Cryten That's definitely an interesting theory Smile

@Alan45 Oh? That's interesting to learn. Perhaps loner was taking it too far, but she still didn't seem like she would have been very social, at least up until this weeks episode.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:56 pm Reply with quote
@Covnam

After re-reading a bit of novel, she is both. She is a member of the strongest guild and participates with them when the guild is active. When it isn't she works solo. Since she has nothing else to do she is able to put in a lot more hours than most anyone else. She is also a game participant since the first day it was available. Her guild spoiler[was named cream Cheese, indicating someone with a very odd sense of humor.]

I'm really surprised that from the episode before last, no one has mentioned the adventurer who mentally chanted "I'm a chick" after talking with Cayna.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:10 am Reply with quote
From the review of episode eight:
Quote:
That said, it does make me wonder about the game's power scaling, since the given numbers would imply that Cayna is about 100 times as powerful as these two.

Shining Saber's level is a bit over 400 and Cohral is a bit under. Cayna's level is 1,100, so a bit over two and a half times as powerful.

The original limit for level in the game was 1000. spoiler[When a number of players reached that limit the game administrators created a special quest to give an additional 100 levels. Cayna's guild completed the quest (after several tries) as a group. That is why many of the guild were "limit breakers". The admins gave limited moderator powers to the limit breakers which is why Canya had the punishment collar to use on the demon player.]
Cryten

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:41 am Reply with quote
I have learnt from the So I am a Spider! discussion to skip over even the uncovered portions of people posting spoilers. Its just to darn easy for people who read the book to want to push people to think in certain ways that align with their own experiences . It becomes easy to puzzle out spoilers even without reading the spoiler text if you draw inferences from the way veterans structure their words.

Not that I dont respect the source and their fans, just that thinking things out and enjoying the ride are valuable to me. So I hope people dont think I am rude by not responding or discussing their content when spoilers are involved.

I quite liked that the little fairy warned her of danger. So she is more then just an imitator of the person she is attached to. I have a few personal theories about the purpose of the fairy that may also have to do with the discussed person who died in the game. I have no doubt the person they are referring to is Canya. I hope we get a little more history about the ending of Leadale. We certainly didn't loose that happy go lucky feel with the raid encounter with Canya being able to total it in a few seconds.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9 settles into the pacing of the light novels much better than previous episodes which have been at quite the breakneck pace. It was a lot of fun to watch.
Having read the light novels I have enjoyed seeing this animated, but it really needs a couple cours per novel at least to capture things properly, that said I still enjoy this a lot.
dharlow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Cayna is the most unlikable protagonist EVER!! I will continue to watch, but only because there are so few shows that I have not seen multiple times. I must be a masochist. Razz
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:20 am Reply with quote
Phew that was quite a whirlwind episode, so much so we didn't really get any fun moments out of it. Even as someone who has been enjoying it so far I would describe the performances as wooden.

She is adopting a young girl without even holding a single conversation with her or expressing her feeling better then bewildered snuggling.
Florete

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Cayna looking like Yachiyo out here adopting all these kids.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4