• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Shuts Down eShop for 3DS, Wii U Platforms in March 2023

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Matros wrote:
Putting pressure worked on Sony but Nintendo gives no fucks about its fanbase's opinion so this is going through no matter what. But some fans are willing to give them a pass too.

It sucks that their shutting them down but we know they have to at some point because I cant imagine the amount of people using the store is that big especially on the Wii U
OdnetninAges

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:32 pm Reply with quote
This sucks. I wish they had given two years notice. Another year would help a lot.

There were a lot of new Switch games I was interested in getting this year. But now, I will be focusing on getting as many digital-only 3DS / Wii U games, DLC, and Virtual Console releases I want while I can. Switch games will still be available later, unlike Pushmo and all the Fire Emblem DLC. And I doubt "Duck Hunt" and "Summer Carnival '92 RECCA" will ever be added to the Switch Online NES app.
Artemis X

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:34 pm Reply with quote
jrockfreak wrote:
Matros wrote:
Putting pressure worked on Sony but Nintendo gives no fucks about its fanbase's opinion so this is going through no matter what. But some fans are willing to give them a pass too.

It sucks that their shutting them down but we know they have to at some point because I cant imagine the amount of people using the store is that big especially on the Wii U

The WII U yes, but not the 3DS. I still use my 3DS quite frequently and I love that little handheld. Being an rpg fan, there is a TON of rpg games I play on the 3DS and its also a cost effective and efficient way to play some old emulated games as well that are exponentually high priced on the market if you were to purchase physical. though I imagine the switch will give you the capabilities to do this but I don't think Nintendo will offer the backwards compatability for 3DS games and because of that, the sales for Nintendo 3DS games will plummet and its sad. That system at least to me is still very relevant even today. SuperDerek, DavidVinc and other youtube channels are going to make a video on this one thats for sure. Mad
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:31 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Well I've got most of what I want already on the system. I suppose I could buy some more GBA, SNES and N64 games before the due date. I always regret not buying LostWinds 2 on the Wii before that closed down.

at least both Lost Winds are on Steam now.On the other hand,good luck on finding easier and cheaper means to play games like Rhythm Thief,Harmo Knight,Kid Icarus Uprising,Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney,Senran Kagura 2(the first one got a remake for the PS4 and PC),the Zelda games(the 3DS ports of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask with the extra features are not anywhere else.On the Switch you have to pay a pricey subscription just to play the N64 roms...which I can do for free anyway...),Donkey Kong Country Returns,and so many others without resorting to piracy(which,again,is going to save those games from being impossible to play...)
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Guess it makes sense.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I somehow went all day thinking this was happening next month, not next year. To be honest, giving 13-month notice isn't something Nintendo has any obligation to do. I was expecting this news for a while now, but I never thought I would have a year+ to get my shit together as far as missed games goes. Kinda nice.

Now let folks listen to your [expletive] music.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:51 am Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
I somehow went all day thinking this was happening next month, not next year. To be honest, giving 13-month notice isn't something Nintendo has any obligation to do. I was expecting this news for a while now, but I never thought I would have a year+ to get my shit together as far as missed games goes. Kinda nice.

Nintendo did the same exact thing with the Wii Shop Channel a few years back. Announced on 9/29/17 that it'll close on 1/31/19, with the ability to add funds to the Shop being removed on 3/26/18.

The only difference this time around is that people can have all of their eShop access (Wii U, 3DS, & Switch) connected to a single account, so while the ability to add funds to the Wii U & 3DS directly will be removed in May (credit card) & August (Gift Cards), it should still be possible to add funds via either the website or Switch, which should then properly reflect on the older systems if you have all three shared on one account. If that still works later this year, then people at least have the full year to actually buy stuff digitally on the Wii U & 3DS, which would be an improvement over the Wii Shop Channel's closure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2