• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: How Disney+ Is Promoting Itself To Japanese Anime Companies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Are people still unaware Disney+ is now streaming mature content in the US?

Just in the U.S., in other regions, like Latin America, in order to watch the more mature content like The Simpsons and most of the 20th Century Studios catalogue people have to subscribe to Star+ which is a separate service (altohugh sometimes they are offered in a combined subscription). At least the entire MCU (save for the Netflix series) and Star Wars are available
I wonder if Disney can team-up with some studios like Toei in order to bring some child-friendly anime, the Pretty Cure series would fit well in their catalogue, while Star+ could host more mature anime
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:32 pm Reply with quote
While I'd really like for more anime licensing companies to show up to disrupt the Sony monopoly, Disney is definitely the most ironic choice in that regard
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:36 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
While I'd really like for more anime licensing companies to show up to disrupt the Sony monopoly, Disney is definitely the most ironic choice in that regard

Sony has AMC has a competitor.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:40 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
MagicPolly wrote:

Sony has AMC has a competitor.

Using Sentai, but yeah.

Ever since the purchase, they managed to snag a few noteworthy titles.

So far, the competition could be: Sony Vs Netflix Vs Disney Vs AMC.

With Apple, Warner through HBO Max/Adult Swim if they like, Viacom, Universal and others being question marks.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little bit confused by this article. Is it about what titles Disney+ will be streaming in Japan only or are the four titles mentioned in the article going to be available in other markets. I'm assuming they will be, but it's not 100% clear to me. I already have a Disney+ subscription so them offering anime to me in Canada would be cool.
Walpurgiz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm a little bit confused by this article. Is it about what titles Disney+ will be streaming in Japan only or are the four titles mentioned in the article going to be available in other markets. I'm assuming they will be, but it's not 100% clear to me. I already have a Disney+ subscription so them offering anime to me in Canada would be cool.

Black Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall and Summer Time Rendering will be stream exclusive on disney+ Worldwdie but so far we dont know when they will release it for oversea.(only japan know that it will be the same day as the broadcast version)

Tatami Time Machine Blues also one of exclusive license it will stream in 2022 (dont know which season)

Dance Dance Danseur. is exclusive only in japan (outside japan it will be stream on Crunchyroll, License by Media link for SEA,SA)
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I really have a hard time believing that the US branch of Disney actually wants any of these shows. Most of them seem like something they'll quietly dump on Hulu at best. Also seems like more of a death sentence to those who want these shows on bluray as well, but I guess time will tell.
dsfjr1190

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Disney may say they won't censor anime, but the fact that they currently censor and remove episodes of The Simpsons makes me believe otherwise.
JennLegacy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
I wonder if Disney can team-up with some studios like Toei in order to bring some child-friendly anime, the Pretty Cure series would fit well in their catalogue, while Star+ could host more mature anime

I think it's only in Japan, but Toei does actually have a lot of shows up on Disney+ including Dragonball and multiple versions of Gegege no Kitaro. Hopefully they might consider it for other territories. It's actually really funny seeing what anime they have on the service over there. Disney picking up Summer Time Rendering makes a lot more sense once you realize Attack on Titan is streamable on D+ over there, haha.

The possibility of Disney picking up kid friendly shows was actually what I was really hoping for when D+ first went up. There's so many cute/cool kids and preschool anime that never leave Japan because they're outside of what the typical westerner views anime as. I'd love for some of them to finally find a home in the west.

Beatdigga wrote:
This seems to be supporting Disney winding down its TV animation (canceling shows like Amphibia and Owl House) and going all in on premium products for their streaming services.

Disney Channel still has quite a few new cartoons that'll be premiering soon, albeit they all seem to be episodic comedies in comparison to Owl House and Amphibia. A similar thing is going with Cartoon Network where they're still definitely producing new shows, but all of their serialized content is heading straight to HBO Max. I don't think they're winding down on TV content. Just that they view anything with more YA appeal better for streaming.

Last edited by JennLegacy on Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:24 pm Reply with quote
dsfjr1190 wrote:
Disney may say they won't censor anime, but the fact that they currently censor and remove episodes of The Simpsons makes me believe otherwise.

I think American audiences and anime fans are two different things.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:35 pm Reply with quote
For the animes which pay to be broadcast on Japanese TV in the graveyard slot this might offer a cheaper alternative.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by the depth of the Disney+ content, between classics, Marvel and Star Wars theres more interesting content than I have time to watch. In the UK where there isnt a STARS service or Hulu its had all the mature content from the start, the only gap I've noticed is none of the Marvel Spider Man films are available, likely as Sony has TV rights.
09jcg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
dsfjr1190 wrote:

I think American audiences and anime fans are two different things.
I think that's part of the concern. I feel disney has a decent understanding of American audiences, but not anime audiences. Things like day and date releases, quality subs, and no censorship are huge concerns with anime fans. I honestly don't know how it will turn out, but I can imagine Disney licensing something and then getting cold feet if nudity starts popping up
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I mean, if they're genuine in not censoring or altering anything and being open to stuff that doesn't necesarilly if the Disney branding, then fine...I just hope they release/use these anime well.

(And better subs than Visions got).
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:57 pm Reply with quote
It's good to see them at least state that they won't change anything and the fact that they now have parental features and uncensored mature content means that they can now do so.

However, I don't expect them to carry/invest in any anime that would reflect badly on them. It's entirely possible that any content they invest in is done so under specific ratings restrictions. Hopefully they just wouldn't get involved with any series that they wouldn't be prepared to stream "as is".
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
It's good to see them at least state that they won't change anything and the fact that they now have parental features and uncensored mature content means that they can now do so.

However, I don't expect them to carry/invest in any anime that would reflect badly on them. It's entirely possible that any content they invest in is done so under specific ratings restrictions. Hopefully they just wouldn't get involved with any series that they wouldn't be prepared to stream "as is".

Like, very gory or sexual anime?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4