• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKIDS Acquires N. American Theatrical, Home Video Rights to Evangelion 3.0+1.01 Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdsichero
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:23 pm Reply with quote
All that is pretty confusing.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:20 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
It’s a shame Khara has forced so many different international casts on this franchise yet they’ve kept the same Japanese throughout.

I don't know if Gainax/Khara was that involved with the international casts, but Evangelion's Neutral Spanish dub has a really confusing history.
The original anime was dubbed in Mexico in the late 90s for the channel Locomotion. In 2008, Animax LA broadcasted the Renewal of Evangelion, which was a versón with some added content but it had to be dubbed from scratch and only Shinji and Gendo's voice actors returned. When Netflix added Eva to their platform they gave it another redub, Shinji, Rei, Fuyutsuki and Makoto were voiced by their Locomotion dub actors, while Misato, Asuka, Kensuke, Kaji and Shigeru retained their Animax voices. Also, Death and Rebirth and The End of Evangelion were finally dubbed into Neutral Spanish by the Netflix cast.
The Rebuild movies had a complicated dubbing history as well. 1.11 and 2.22 were dubbed in 2014 with the voices of Shinji, Rei, Kaworu, Ritsuko and Fuyutsuki from the Locomotion version reprising their roles. 3.33 was dubbed in 2016, Rei's voice actress, Circe Luna, was replaced by Ana Lobo who later voiced Hikari in the Netflix version. Gendo and Makoto got their original voices back and Asuka was voiced by her Animax voice actress. When Prime Video obtained the rights for the fourth film, they had the first three films redubbed so they'd all have the same cast, but Amazon moved the country where Eva was always dubbed from Mexico to Argentina, however they were able to keep the voices of Shinji and Rei from the Locomotion dub, Asuka from the Animax one and Mari.
In the end, the only actor who always reprised his role was Víctor Ugarte as Shinji. That's actually kind of impressive. Mari was also voiced by the same actress but she only appears in the movies.

Last edited by Silver Kirin on Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to that home release so I can complete the set on my shelf. I wonder if they'll try to make it work packaging wise with Funi's releases...
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:49 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:
It’s a shame Khara has forced so many different international casts on this franchise yet they’ve kept the same Japanese throughout.

I don't know if Gainax/Khara was that involved with the international casts, but Evangelion's Neutral Spanish dub has a really confusing history.
The original anime was dubbed in Mexico in the late 90s in Mexico for the channel Locomotion. In 2008, Animax LA broadcasted the Renewal of Evangelion, which was a versón with some added content but it had to be dubbed from scratch and only Shinji and Gendo's voice actors returned. When Netflix added Eva to their platform they gave it another redub, Shinji, Rei, Fuyutsuki and Makoto were voiced by their Locomotion dub actors, while Misato, Asuka, Kensuke, Kaji and Shigeru retained their Animax voices. Also, Death and Rebirth and The End of Evangelion were finally dubbed into Neutral Spanish by the Netflix cast.
The Rebuild movies had a complicated dubbing history as well. 1.11 and 2.22 were dubbed in 2014 with the voices of Shinji, Rei, Kaworu, Ritsuko and Fuyutsuki from the Locomotion version reprising their roles. 3.33 was dubbed in 2016, Rei's voice actress, Circe Luna, was replaced by Ana Lobo who later voiced Hikari in the Netflix version. Gendo and Makoto got their original voices back and Asuka was voiced by her Animax voice actress. When Prime Video obtained the rights for the fourth film, they had the first three films redubbed so they'd all have the same cast, but Amazon moved the country where Eva was always dubbed from Mexico to Argentina, however they were able to keep the voices of Shinji and Rei from the Locomotion dub, Asuka from the Animax one and Mari.
In the end, the only actor who always reprised his role was Víctor Ugarte as Shinji. That's actually kind of impressive. Mari was also voiced by the same actress but she only appears in the movies.

And even before that, ADV tried to get the show dubbed in Colombia, but since the country's dubbing work is...laughable at best, it then got moved to Los Angeles after doing a pilot dub, but they didn't like the dub work of the spanish LA studio either, so it got moved to Mexico.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:17 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
And even before that, ADV tried to get the show dubbed in Colombia, but since the country's dubbing work is...laughable at best, it then got moved to Los Angeles after doing a pilot dub, but they didn't like the dub work of the spanish LA studio either, so it got moved to Mexico.

I had never heard about that, almost all of the anime that was shown in Locomotion was dubbed in Mexico and when it became Animax they started dubbing more shows in Venezuela. Of anime dubbed in Colombia, the only ones I remember are Rurouni Kenshin and Hunter X Hunter '99, I wacthed Kenshin a lot when I was a little kid in the early 2000s but I recently saw some clips on YouTube and the dub wasn't as good as I remembered. Most of the anime dubbed in Los Angeles were TMS shows like Bt' X, Rayearth and Detective Conan, the acting in those dubs was better but there were a lot of voice changes and due to TMS' policies at the time all of the characters names were changed, which was common at the time but Mexican dubs tended to keep the japanese names (for example, in the Mexican dub of Sailor Moon the characters had the same names as in the English dub but after episode 66 all new characters kept their Japanese names)
Speaking of the first Eva Mexican dub, the actors confirmed that for the first 6 episodes they used the French dub audio as a reference but then switched to original Japanese. Also, before Victor was casted as Shinji, it was planned that the character would be voiced by Alfredo Leal (Eriol in SCC, Izzy in Digimon 02), Eduardo Garza (Ichigo Kurosaki, Krillin, Gaara) was considered for the role as well.
brainrotter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:41 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Please, please, please redub this. I trust Gkids with this. I'd prefer they keep the cast that stayed from the ADV days (but with Brina as Rei), but screw it. I'm not picky. The Amazon dub is just awful and feels lifeless and emotionally confused. If they redub it though, hopefully they'll get to redub the other films (or just get the Funimation cast back together).

Hmm I'm fine with the OG EN!Rei, personally. The real loss imo was Trina Nishimura's Mari. She was superb and her Amazon replacement is awful
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Do you suppose GKids might redub the other three movies, if they ever take over the license to those?

I bought GKids re-release of the TV series with EoE and D&R, which I mainly bought for those two movies. I kept the ADV Christmas release because it has Fly Me to the Moon.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:21 pm Reply with quote
brainrotter wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
Please, please, please redub this. I trust Gkids with this. I'd prefer they keep the cast that stayed from the ADV days (but with Brina as Rei), but screw it. I'm not picky. The Amazon dub is just awful and feels lifeless and emotionally confused. If they redub it though, hopefully they'll get to redub the other films (or just get the Funimation cast back together).

Hmm I'm fine with the OG EN!Rei, personally. The real loss imo was Trina Nishimura's Mari. She was superb and her Amazon replacement is awful

I 100% agree. She brought so much energy to the character and should've been among those who stayed for the Amazon dub. It's difficult listening to her in the Amazon dub after hearing Trina's portrayal.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:24 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Do you suppose GKids might redub the other three movies, if they ever take over the license to those?

I bought GKids re-release of the TV series with EoE and D&R, which I mainly bought for those two movies. I kept the ADV Christmas release because it has Fly Me to the Moon.

Redubbing them at this point might be more trouble than it’s worth. But I believe Khara wanted the new TV series dub, so if they want new movie dubs, they’ll get what they want.

As far as FMttM, that was probably a Japanese music rights issue with the specific versions used for the show. It was probably out of Khara’s hands.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:29 am Reply with quote
According to the original singer of Eva's version of Fly Me to the Moon, Claire Littley, she thinks it's not a licensing issue since it was supposed to be a buyout. Also, they made other seiyuu versions available on music platforms - other versions, except hers

Rather, she thinks they're avoiding using altogether now (except inside Japan only) because they're afraid she would go back to them and put back into discussion the terms of the original deal, which seems to be quite lopsided in their favor - that they used it everywhere beyond the deal without additional compensation to her

Here's her hour-plus long interview in 2021:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpdnJ455tEU&t=2174s

Quote:
It's worth noting that the whole notion that Netflix "couldn't afford the rights" has no basis in anything other than assumption.

Fly Me to the Moon was removed as the ending theme, and as an instrumental in two episodes. The same is true for the upcoming English blu-ray release.

HOWEVER, they've had no problem retaining those songs for Netflix Japan, and continue to sell Japanese blu-rays with those songs.

Also, they've had no problem releasing versions other than the original version as sung by Claire Littley, internationally on vinyl and CD, and on digital platforms including Amazon, Spotify, and YouTube. However in the case of YouTube, they have erroneously credited Claire's vocals to Megumi Hayashibara.

Licensing fees may play a part in this, but they are not the only factor. There is also the possibility that they've exceeded their usage rights for Claire's vocals - aka synchronization licenses:

https://www.easysonglicensing.com/pages/help/articles/music-licensing/what-is-a-synchronization-license.aspx
brainrotter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:18 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
brainrotter wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

I 100% agree. She brought so much energy to the character and should've been among those who stayed for the Amazon dub. It's difficult listening to her in the Amazon dub after hearing Trina's portrayal.

Sadly it was inevitable-- she's a Funimation VA, and Khara's held a grudge against them ever since 3.0. Every single Funi VA getting the boot was no coincidence
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2