• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The ANN Aftershow - The Chainsaw Man Anime is Finally Here!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fluwm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:00 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
To be honest Jujutsu Kaisen, Demon Slayer and the latest Bleach are ridiculously generic at first yet the only thing backing them up are the visuals from the studios. I would the say the psychological content from Jujutsu Kaisen was already used by Noragami but more in a comical fashion. I'd say give it time.

I mean, to step back a bit, how often are the opening chapters of a shounen battle manga all that indicative of what the rest of the series will be like? Dragon Ball started out as a gag manga crossed with a very barebones adventure plot; Naruto had so little to do with Naruto that early fans joked it should've been titled Sasuke instead; Yu Yu Hakusho was a supernatural mystery series with some comedy; Hunter X Hunter started out as generic monster-hunting-adventure fare; Bleach did the monster-of-the-week thing for a long time; Negima was a slice-of-life harem comedy for a good four volumes or so; One Piece was, well, okay, maybe OP hasn't changed very much but you get the idea.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:13 am Reply with quote
As my motto says: "Execution is the key". It doesn't matter if something has been done before lots of times or not. As long it's done in a very interesting, enjoyable and sometimes in a complex way, then it can work as a reason why a work can be popular.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2