• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Do It Yourself!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:02 pm Reply with quote
From my reading Purin's current emotional state seems to be I really want to join Serafu in her activities... but I want it to be just the two of us. I get jealous when I see her having fun with all those other people, but I can't bring myself to tell her that
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Such a relaxing series, though I do wonder when Purin joins up.
K.o.R

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I actually bought one of those chamfering bits after this episode. Did not know they were a thing. Would have saved me so much time in the past.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Steve Jones wrote:
I think one of the most important values/appeals of DIY, whether you're doing it yourself or watching somebody else, is that it teaches you how to read the story imbued in all manmade objects. Time and labor may be invisible, but once your eye is trained and familiar with those processes, you can see the traces of it. You can tease out the hands of the person who made them in the past, however distant. It makes the world richer.

So much this. I really enjoy being able to read the mind of the crafter from the objects they've left behind. Even something like IKEA furniture which isn't the first thing that springs to mind when you think "craftsmanship", with a little bit of knowledge you can read the decisions that went into trying to make it easy to manufacture, package and assemble. I love spotting clever little design details in things, or almost better, little mistakes in handmade stuff that have been skillfully compensated for. Things that reveal the human mind behind the inanimate.

I appreciated the filling out of Kurei's character in this episode. DIY and making things are her comfort zone, and she's confident and assured as club leader in that space. But she gets endearingly shy about inviting her new club members over to her place. She nerds out over a shared love of her manga collection. And she's an enthusiastic but useless baker. (I do feel that the others did her a disservice by not providing more constructive feedback, they know by now her scary reputation isn't really deserved. Takumi tried a little I guess).
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:04 pm Reply with quote
"Artisanal cuteness"
"Artisanal cuteness"
"Artisanal cuteness"
Thesarum

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:19 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
"Artisanal cuteness"
"Artisanal cuteness"
"Artisanal cuteness"

Oh yes.

Steve Jones wrote:
For Serufu, Takumin gently suggests her talents might be better applied away from jewelry and towards design and planning. And she's right! Seriously, pause the video and take in that entire illustration. Serufu shouldn't be left unattended around any drill bits, but the girl's got an imagination the size of Jupiter, and she can draw. Naturally, her concepts need some fine-tuning before they can begin to be considered feasible by a gang of teenagers, but that's what the planning process is all about. It's a basic tenet of brainstorming. You want a wide and wild array of ideas, because you never know when or where that eureka moment will strike. Serufu did exactly what she was supposed to do, and I'd kill to have her capacity for creativity. She's thinking about the treehouse of the future.

Absolutely. This is entire point of "concept art" - throw a bunch of ideas at a page, see what resonates. Realism is for the plans. Serufu's job was to fire up everyone's imagination using her own (and lets face it, her imagination is so supercharged she's barely got it under control most of the time, she's got ideas and inspiration to spare). And her treehouse was exactly what you'd expect it to be: ludicrous in the very best way, and totally amazing. Though just imagine if Purin had been there....

Takumin is the quiet unsung hero of the group. Unflashy softly spoken peacemaker. I think the show does well at depicting what they all bring to the group dynamic. Nobody is really "just there".

Purin and Jobko's Tsundere Alliance is great too. Purin wanting to keep her involvement secret because she doesn't feel deserving of being part of the group... It's almost admitting she does want to be part of the group, isn't it? Small steps Purin, small steps.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I get the skylarking aspect of it, but since they were pointing out the impracticalities of her design, it kept bugging me that no one brought up the most insurmountable problem with it: they have to work with the tree they have, and it just doesn't have the configuration or sheer acreage of the tree in her imagination. Smile
Thesarum

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Truck-kun really has a lot to answer for, but stealing the girls reclaimed lumber is just beyond the pale.

"High Grade Meat the 3rd". I feel bad for poor meat. But at least we now know why Serufu and her mum eat so much pork...

Truck-kun's crimes against DIY can be partly forgiven as the disaster at least is the catalyst for Purin to realise that this isn't the time to be lying to herself. It takes a little courage, but she finds her way back to where Serufu has always been. And the donation of the bench is a hugely symbolic gesture, even if Purin herself still considers it to simply be scrap timber. I don't think the bench's story is done quite yet either.

Serufu's poster art! That girl can really draw.

Steve Jones wrote:
Working with our hands provides a tactile conduit through which we tangibly transform a thing into a craft. We put work into something, and that work becomes value, and that value becomes a piece of connective tissue to ourselves and everyone else that craft touches.

Amen.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:34 am Reply with quote
I knew it was trouble when I saw Truck-kun first drive past them...

So why hasn't the DIY club fixed their leaky roof yet? Doesn't seem like it would take much time or materials and would be good practice as well.
WindyFields

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:48 pm Reply with quote
W-o-w... Perfect. Absolutely perfect.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I guess they're saving the big reveal --- why Suride Miku is nicknamed "Purin" --- for the last episode.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Jobko brutally outing Purin was amazing. Purin Pouts for the ages.

Club Nurse/Advisor/Mom allowing them to rip up the shed her generation of DIY club built in order to scrape together the wood to finish the roof was equal parts funny and poignant.

While some of the Purin/Serafu interactions are coded as romantic, I think I still really just see them as close friends. Purin just has a bit of a backlog in terms of expressing affection that she needs to get out. Kurei, on the other hand is shippable with both Takumi and Kokoro . Though I'm pretty satisfied with cute DIY club kids just being chill together as a group.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Fruit sandwiches and cola, anybody would say that the school nurse would know about carbohydrates.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Did I miss where Pudding's mom and the nurse/advisor are sisters or something? They look like each other with the same hair color and beauty mark under their eye. And both apparently overachievers.

Anyway, nice wrap, though I never really was able to get very invested in this.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:03 am Reply with quote
So, Purin/pudding: https://www.thespruceeats.com/custard-pudding-recipes-2031113

Jobko gives a hint where the nickname "Purin" really comes from when she says, "So that's why you can be so puri-puri sometimes" --- プリプリ --- means "angry, in a huff"

I have kind of mixed feelings about the last episode, though I'm mostly won over by the opening with Kurei presenting Serufu with the final screw for the tree house, and the final bench-swing project (do they have to wear their uniforms while on school grounds, even if it's summer break? --- and why does Kokoro wear a uniform from Serufu's school instead of Purin's?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3