• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Not Every Artificial Intelligence is Out To Kill You: AI in Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctorkev

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Northlander wrote:

Also, not an anime (hence not being included on the list), but you mentioned Tetsuwan Atom/Astro Boy; which brings us to Pluto, Naoko Urusawa's excellent manga based on the franchise and one that has androids all over the spectrum.

How is Tetsuwan Atom not an anime? Does this mean that you don't consider anime adaptations of manga legitimate anime?

No, what Northlander mentions is the fantastic "Pluto" manga by Naoki Urasawa (the guy who did Monster and 20th Century Boys). Pluto is a more recent seinen manga take on Tezuka's original Tetsuwan Atom manga, but it's so different to the source (Atom isn't the main character, for example - it's primarily a detective story). It would make an incredible anime if done properly, but it would be very different from any other Tetsuwan Atom anime that's been made so far.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Doctorkev wrote:
You know, I should really re-watch Lain. It's been over 20 years since I last saw it and I honestly don't remember all that much about it. I have the region 1 DVDs around here somewhere, not sure if I still have a multiregion DVD player any more though...

SEL is a borderline choice for the topic, due to the uncertain nature of who/what Lain herself actually is, so I can't fault leaving that one off the list. It is one of those titles which deserves to be rereleased every decade or so (it's a shame the Crunchyroll doesn't have it anymore), as the techno-surrealistic visual and storytelling approach still distinguishes it from all other anime.

Was pleased to see the attention given to Beatless in the article, as that's a title I have championed ever since it first aired. I completely agree that it's a slow starter, but it does have some fantastic ideas later on and few series (whether anime or not) have ever taken a more thoughtful approach on how humans and AIs might interact. I really need to sit down and rewatch that one the next time I'm looking to marathon something a little older. . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Doctorkev wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
No mention of Dennou Coil? True, it dealt more with AR, but there were some aspects like the ghosts that might qualify it on the list.

I've simply not got around to watching Dennou Coil yet, it was never legally available in the UK until recently. Now that it's appeared on Netflix (sadly sub-only) I plan to watch it soon.

I'd have argued Dennou Coil should have been watched before The Orbital Children, if only for the heightened experience enjoying the fanfare (but also to compare and contrast themes). They're sister series now and I would argue hard to divorce from each other. Also, I'm biased. Orbital Children was good, but quite messy and confusing toward the end. Dennou Coil is genuinely my second favorite anime of all time, just behind Madoka Magica, and the only other anime I've ever rated 5/5 on my own anime rating chart. I saw it back when it aired in Japan and I return to it every few years just to refresh my appreciation for it. Its pacing and ending are far more grounded in reality than simple philosophy. I hope you enjoy~
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Doctorkev wrote:
Beltane70 wrote:
How is Tetsuwan Atom not an anime? Does this mean that you don't consider anime adaptations of manga legitimate anime?

No, what Northlander mentions is the fantastic "Pluto" manga by Naoki Urasawa (the guy who did Monster and 20th Century Boys). Pluto is a more recent seinen manga take on Tezuka's original Tetsuwan Atom manga, but it's so different to the source (Atom isn't the main character, for example - it's primarily a detective story). It would make an incredible anime if done properly, but it would be very different from any other Tetsuwan Atom anime that's been made so far.

Kev's got it right. That said, my sentence structure might share some of the blame for this confusion, so.... ^^;;

But yeah, I was talking about Pluto. Fantastic manga. Anime version would indeed be appreciated, however unlikely we are to get one.

Then again, I never thought Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou would be licensed yet I see the second volume up for preorder now. Miracles does sometimes happen, I guess. Come to think of it, I don't think that franchise was mentioned in this article at all, despite very much being about androids too.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:

It's been forever since I watched it, but spoiler[weren't the two used for assassination purposes, and them running away was basically them not wanting to be a part of that?] Or something to that effect? Or maybe I'm remembering a different movie/series.

It's different, actually. You see, spoiler[they both originally ran away from a space station where they were held, running for freedom. Originally they were more than two, but they're the only ones that survive to escape. As they leave the space station, one of them sustains damage to her system, which leads her to require blood replacement (this sexaroid boomer model S-33 is largely biological or at least similar). Only through information found in a data disc can that be fixed. Until then, people need to be killed in order to save her. Kinda vampiric, actually.]

But now I need to find the story with the assassins. That's like totally up my alley.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2