• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
No Anime Films Nominated for 95th Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Fedora-san wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Oscar voters hate anime like nobody's business.

It's more they hate animation in general and admit to only voting for the animated films they heard about or their kids watched. Obviously that would very rarely be anime compared to the Disney, Dreamworks, and other tentpole American animated film studios.

Pretty much, when you read the justifications for voting for an animated movie (members need to write the reason for their vote) what you get its a compendium of:

"My kids like it".
"Didn't watch it".
"I heard it's good".

Academy members don't need to write a reason for their vote. The written justifications come from "Brutally Honest Oscar Ballot," The Hollywood Reporter's annual survey of anonymous voters.

The catch is that THR only surveys less than 10 Academy members, out of almost 9,500. For example, only one of the four members surveyed last year voted for the eventual winner (Encanto).

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/brutally-honest-oscar-ballot-dont-look-up-coda-1235116095/
Matros

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I still can't get over when Big Hero 6 won over Kaguya.
Ruhrpottpatriot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:50 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Fedora: I know they hate anime, because they've referred to it as 'Oriental'.

If you divide the world into Orient (lat: "east") and Occident (lat: "west"), then that nomenclature is correct. Orient means everything that is not Europe (or the western world).
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Ruhrpottpatriot wrote:
If you divide the world into Orient (lat: "east") and Occident (lat: "west"), then that nomenclature is correct. Orient means everything that is not Europe (or the western world).

That would be fair, if "Occidental" was actually used alongside "Oriental" to categorize culture. If the terms "Occidental films" or "Occidental art" sound strange and off-putting, you might be experiencing what people from many diverse cultures experience when they're all pigeonholed as "Oriental."
Blazi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Puss in Boots was quite the wildcard but man was it good, though Id give it to Pinocchio.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Matros wrote:

Big Hero 6 is still a mostly great movie, it deserved it.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

Pretty much, when you read the justifications for voting for an animated movie (members need to write the reason for their vote) what you get its a compendium of:

"My kids like it".
"Didn't watch it".
"I heard it's good".

The worst one I saw was a few years ago, when an anime film (who's name I'm blanking on) was nominated. The academy member said something like "I don't give a crap about this Chinese garbage."
Zen119

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, better luck next time.

As for the nominees, GDT's Pinocchio might win this but I'm rooting for Puss in Boots: The Last Wish.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. If ya gonna put in an anime film submitted for the year, which nominated animated film would ya take out?

If anybody has any complaints, it'd have to be the streaming services - their # of nominees dropped to only half of the year before, when a streaming movie actually won Best Picture (CODA)

Then again, even Netflix now puts chasing critical reviews on the back-burner - they're realizing that their most-watched shows (like Tiger King and Red Notice) actually don't get good reviews. Good reviews don't matter as much to their subscriber base - the masses like better the disposable entertainment (after losing more than a million subscribers in the first half of the year, Netflix ended up gaining 9 million more subscribers by the end of 2022, obviously far exceeded expectations)

Egan Loo wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

"My kids like it".
"Didn't watch it".
"I heard it's good".

Academy members don't need to write a reason for their vote. The written justifications come from "Brutally Honest Oscar Ballot," The Hollywood Reporter's annual survey of anonymous voters.

The catch is that THR only surveys less than 10 Academy members, out of almost 9,500. For example, only one of the four members surveyed last year voted for the eventual winner (Encanto).

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/brutally-honest-oscar-ballot-dont-look-up-coda-1235116095/

Yeah, people tend to blow these polls out of proportion, like it's representative of a population - when statistically, the sample is way too small

Or it may not even be a random sample neither (dunno the method they use for the polls). Or it may not even be the total sample - the editors may pick and choose the interesting responses, while leaving out the boring responses, in order to keep the article length be not too long. Who knows - they don't intend the polls to be a scientific poll, so they don't have to follow the statistics rules

It's just an insight on what some voters say - it may be different from the silent majority. Just don't mistake those polls as representative
sniper_samurai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:22 pm Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

"My kids like it".
"Didn't watch it".
"I heard it's good".

The worst one I saw was a few years ago, when an anime film (who's name I'm blanking on) was nominated. The academy member said something like "I don't give a crap about this Chinese garbage."

Even worse, the movie that voter called Chinese garbage, Song of the Sea iirc, was made by Cartoon Saloon in Ireland.
Matros

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:58 pm Reply with quote
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
Matros wrote:

Big Hero 6 is still a mostly great movie, it deserved it.

It's mostly forgettable imo, so let's agree to disagree.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I am fortunate enough at closing in at 80 years old to know several academy members. A few years ago, there was much complaining that is so many old white men, so desertification. Now, academy is more deserve, but does not mean there is any more love for non US blockbusters of big names or low cost European indy film makers.

If I ask any friends who are members why not nominate more anime, answer is: adults do not watch children cartoons in America, so they not going to watch in Japanese poorly translated cartoons unless Miyazaki which is essentially Disney, only if grand kids suggest.

Disney throws too much money around to ignore.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:02 pm Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

"My kids like it".
"Didn't watch it".
"I heard it's good".

I'm getting really tired of people using these quotes as reason to dismiss these awards.
This particular one is from 2015 (8 years ago), blown out of proportion by Cartoon Brew (trash site) and taken out of context (IIRC the commenter was disappointed over Lego Movie being snubbed).
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:07 pm Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:

sniper_samurai wrote:
Even worse, the movie that voter called Chinese garbage, Song of the Sea iirc, was made by Cartoon Saloon in Ireland.

I took the time to look up the quote, from a "member of the Academy’s 428-member sound branch who has been nominated for an Oscar."

Quote:
? BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

I only watch the ones that my kid wants to see, so I didn’t see [The] Boxtrolls but I saw Big Hero 6 and I saw [How to Train Your] Dragon [2]. We both connected to Big Hero 6 — I just found it to be more satisfying. The biggest snub for me was Chris Miller and Phil Lord not getting in for [The] Lego [Movie]. When a movie is that successful and culturally hits all the right chords and does that kind of box-office — for that movie not to be in over these two obscure freakin’ Chinese fuckin’ things that nobody ever freakin’ saw [an apparent reference to the Japanese film The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, as well as the Irish film Song of the Sea]? That is my biggest bitch. Most people didn’t even know what they were! How does that happen? That, to me, is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen.

MY VOTE: Big Hero 6

The Lego Movie was great, but the rest of what he says… yeah, that's dumb.
Soul_Punisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Not surprised they would keep out Anime from the Oscar at this point especially when you have big disappointing top box office movies like One piece film DEAD taken the popular position for how awful it was watching in general it's no surprise they'd leave anime films to their devices on the eastern market to live out their little Hollywood.

The next oscars will probably do the same and keep anime films out if Japan keep chucking out pop culture garbage films like they did with more films like those of last year.

Turning Red FTW
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4