• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hirogaru Sky! Precure Anime Casts Ayumu Murase, Ayaka Nanase

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:18 am Reply with quote
I've always wanted there to be more magical boys in shojo anime and I thought having male Precures would be really cool so I'm really happy to see this happening. I'm also happy to see them include older Precure women instead of them always being just young girls as we also rarely see adult magical girls.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:44 am Reply with quote
Be interesting to see how having one pretty cure who is a lot older than the others is going to work.
xxGoodxx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:37 am Reply with quote
I'm down with an older cure but a male cure?! This is an insult to Precure and its foundation. Toei should take a look at the bigger picture and so as the people here who are been begging for male cures for years. We already have so many magical boys in this damn world. If I want them, I would go for Shonen Jump titles and the boys there are already magical. So much for strong independent women. Pretty Cure has lost its touch for the past several years and if this is how they will celebrate its 20th anniversary, then it's just nothing more than a shadow of its former self. This series has never gotten better ever since Splash Star ended. Guess I will wait for another year to see an actual Precure
TokimekiCrisis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:50 am Reply with quote
xxGoodxx wrote:
We already have so many magical boys in this damn world. If I want them, I would go for Shonen Jump titles and the boys there are already magical. So much for strong independent women.

Women can't have anything for ourselves it seems. We always have to share it with men and cater to them and make sure their needs are met too. At least Naoko Takeuchi has always stuck to her dignity and stood by only women being able to be Sailor Senshi
Eclipse_12

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:00 am Reply with quote
xxGoodxx wrote:
I'm down with an older cure but a male cure?! This is an insult to Precure and its foundation. Toei should take a look at the bigger picture and so as the people here who are been begging for male cures for years. We already have so many magical boys in this damn world. If I want them, I would go for Shonen Jump titles and the boys there are already magical. So much for strong independent women. Pretty Cure has lost its touch for the past several years and if this is how they will celebrate its 20th anniversary, then it's just nothing more than a shadow of its former self. This series has never gotten better ever since Splash Star ended. Guess I will wait for another year to see an actual Precure

I think that if you ask Toei, they would say that Precure is for kids in general, mainly for girls, but not just for them. It is a fact that little boys across Japan are watching Precure and it is great that they finally have a character they can see themselves in. This is a move for those kids, not for us adults. I know that they will love it because I once was a small preschool boy who loved magical girls, but felt kinda left out relegated to a non-magical role when roleplaying mahou shoujo scenarios with female friends as a child, and I am sure that my past-self would have been thrilled to have a character that showed that I could also be part of the team.
Precure should stay female-lead and I would be upset if boys ever outnumbered the girls or took the focus away from them, but why should we gatekeep Precure from boys? Precure is designed to motivate kids to roleplay scenarios from the series, as the toys make it clear. Why should we stop Toei from making boys feel welcome in those games?
cheshire1501

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:22 am Reply with quote
I didn't know there were mumsnet users in this forum
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:29 am Reply with quote
JennLegacy wrote:

Also, wow, they are really doing a lot of new things this year. First our first blue protag, then our first main cast male Cure, and our first adult Cure? Really excited for this season!

It makes me hope for this Precure series to have stories that you don't normally see in other Precure. I, for one, hope for the big bad have a team of "evil Precure" counterparts (think Psycho Rangers) as recurring villains.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:37 am Reply with quote
Wait Wait Wait Wait...?

I haven't been shocked like this since Leona West. Also, first male Precure? Not quite, he's more like the first main male Precure. Also, we had 2 adult main Cures already.
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:10 pm Reply with quote
TokimekiCrisis wrote:
xxGoodxx wrote:
We already have so many magical boys in this damn world. If I want them, I would go for Shonen Jump titles and the boys there are already magical. So much for strong independent women.

Women can't have anything for ourselves it seems. We always have to share it with men and cater to them and make sure their needs are met too. At least Naoko Takeuchi has always stuck to her dignity and stood by only women being able to be Sailor Senshi

I and many other women I know are excited about this and have wanted an official male Cure for a long time. I like both magical girls and magical boys, in the end it’s the same genre I’ve always loved. This isn’t going to suddenly change Precure into an exclusively male-dominated franchise or anything.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Yuri/Cure Moonlight in Heartcatch was already 17. Having an 18 year old adult Cure isn't that big a difference for the series. Technically she could even still be a high schooler, though I assume she won't be.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Mew Berry wrote:
I and many other women I know are excited about this and have wanted an official male Cure for a long time. I like both magical girls and magical boys, in the end it’s the same genre I’ve always loved. This isn’t going to suddenly change Precure into an exclusively male-dominated franchise or anything.

As a cis woman, I am also excited for this. I think this is a really good thing to challenge gender roles and say that yes, boys can also be princesses if they want, they can do more traditionally feminine things, and (most importantly to me) they can be kind and gentle, they can be magical healers. If we want a kinder world we should encourage kindness and sharing your honest feelings in boys and men.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kaoru99

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:46 pm Reply with quote
The boy cure is interesting but 18 is hardly adult. Like its been said we've had 17 year old Cures before. That seems like a nothingburger to me. When I think Adult Precure I think of someone in their 20s with a stable job and their own apartment, maybe even married.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:25 pm Reply with quote
For that male cure, good! But just like it happened with Cure Passion or Cure Beat, now it feels like previous Cure-but-not-quite got robbed! Namely Black Pepper (even though he was a more earnest necessary attempt) and the never-fully-materialized Cure Waffle.

JennLegacy wrote:
I had a sneaking suspicion Toei was using Black Pepper as testing grounds especially since he was getting merch normally reserved for Cure characters only. It'd be really cool if he gets retroactively counted in the future like Shiny Luminous and Milky Rose are.

Also, wow, they are really doing a lot of new things this year. First our first blue protag, then our first main cast male Cure, and our first adult Cure? Really excited for this season!

Not just Burape, but Mary-chan also seemed to be testing the waters in a different way: he was an adult that was accompanying a group of middle schoolers full time without feeling inappropriate or having the subterfuge of passing for a teenager/being a cute plush 50% of the time.
This was very important if they are ever to have an adult Cure - a through and through adult, not one that is so on a technicality but still undistinguishably older than half a dozen other cures that are closer in age to her than to the other members of their respective teams.
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:41 pm Reply with quote
xxGoodxx wrote:

indeed toei became really desperate and funny enough there's who really fall in their bait lol.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:39 pm Reply with quote
xxGoodxx wrote:
I'm down with an older cure but a male cure?! This is an insult to Precure and its foundation. Toei should take a look at the bigger picture and so as the people here who are been begging for male cures for years. We already have so many magical boys in this damn world. If I want them, I would go for Shonen Jump titles and the boys there are already magical. So much for strong independent women.
There are tons of gay, bi, and queer male fans and other gender fluid fans who are super excited about a male Cure that don't fit with the cis hetero views of more typical shonen super powered protags and there's nothing wrong with those fans who are happy for that don't feel seen by traditional cis male hetero superhero characters. This isn't even the first time Precure has had a male Precure. They had spoiler[Henri] in Hugtto Precure and the franchise has survived just fine. If you haven't even been watching the show in over 20 years, I don't know how you think you are more deserving to speak on behalf of the Precure franchise than the long time established fans who are excited for this.

Quote:
Sailor Moon literally has Tuxedo Mask in the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4