• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: KamiKatsu: Working for God in a Godless World

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Brainchild129 wrote:
I too am here to rubberneck at this wreck of a show, and Episode 4 was no exception to this. There were points where it almost flirted with competence. Hell, it almost pulled off a decent joke when the spoiler[other gods Mitama summoned retreated just before the battle could begin]...emphasis on "almost." As Nick has mentioned before, this show is defeated at every turn by its almost random direction, terrible storyboarding, and jokes that are more like anti-humor than anything else.

Mostly I'm just baffled as to how this no-name staff and studio managed to score so many notable voice actors for this shart of a show. If you told me that most of this show's budget went towards the voice cast and the crew were left with only $20 and a conbini sandwich, I'd believe you. Even then, they can't do anything with this D-list source material. Just total pearls before swine.

Honestly I'm at a point where I think it's all a deliberate creative choice.

Though I also think it's genuinely funny, so what do I know?
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:22 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Now onto the series. I dropped the show after episode one for how cultish and inhuman all the characters acted. With characters having little regard for each other and value for anything.
But is kind of one of the plot points - even in world without official religions and cults pure blind faith on something that edicted by laws, which completely supported by everyone to the point that even your life is not matter against the edicts, so people easily choose to end their life just because it's a norm of this society (basically just a regular totalitary dystopia) - that all is not really that much different from the cult, and what MC bring is another ruleset by different flavor with the new things, because people around are already brainwashed and can be easily manipulated in the first place.
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:06 am Reply with quote
Sure but they are still unpleasant to watch even if a point is being made, doesnt matter if its official designated as a cult, they can still act culty. I was just interested in if they still act like that in the following episodes.

Naturally I understand its subjective, but damn did the people I was meant to be on the side of creep me the heck out.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:55 am Reply with quote
Not surprised by the reviews - they mostly seem to track with the ratings the show has been receiving. I think any show that attempts to mix a definitive focus on religion, with comedy, you have a tempestuous mixture on your hands. Not only do you have to contend with the success or failure of your comedy, but you're likely going to touch off some folks when you start offering your take on religion, its place in society, etc.

The story focus on a guy who is from the modern world, whose dad basically kills him in the name of their religion, which itself operates as a cult except for the fact that their supposed god is actually real, lands in a world without religion. But rather than it being the almost utopic dreamland some anti-religion folks expect, it's pretty much the same as the old world, just without mention or even knowledge of any "god". So the rest of the show ends up being, thus far, jokes aimed at making fun of religion and some of its irrational aspects, while also presenting religion as a positive force that can ultimately do good in the world. In other words, it will piss off the religious folks for making light of religion, and piss off the anti-religion folks for suggesting religion is the answer.

Is it anime of the year quality? It's not eve the best anime on the day it airs. But I do think it is better than the reviewer and many others give it credit for. It's the second anime I think that's used animation style as a part of its gag, and that show also has bad ratings, so I suspect that is a big part of the issue in general.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:16 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Sure but they are still unpleasant to watch even if a point is being made, doesnt matter if its official designated as a cult, they can still act culty. I was just interested in if they still act like that in the following episodes.

Naturally I understand its subjective, but damn did the people I was meant to be on the side of creep me the heck out.
Well... partly, because most of them outside MC became mostly gag cliche characters instead.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:58 am Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:

The story focus on a guy who is from the modern world, whose dad basically kills him in the name of their religion, which itself operates as a cult except for the fact that their supposed god is actually real, lands in a world without religion. But rather than it being the almost utopic dreamland some anti-religion folks expect, it's pretty much the same as the old world, just without mention or even knowledge of any "god". So the rest of the show ends up being, thus far, jokes aimed at making fun of religion and some of its irrational aspects, while also presenting religion as a positive force that can ultimately do good in the world.

Man I wish that was the story being told here. I wish the show had something more concrete or coherent to say about religion/faith/cults in specific. I wish it used the idea of spreading religion in a way that was interesting, or controversial, or even offensive. I wish it had seemingly any cogent perspective on the concept of faith or divinity or the vast concept of humanity's relationship with religion. That would at least be something to dissect.

Instead what it's used that setup for - so far, at least - is to have Mitama summon a bunch of modern day technology, and gain followers like they're youtube subscribers or a DBZ power level. The closest thing to commentary is that Yukito doesn't really care about the faith and just wants followers to boost Mitama's power level and avoid being blown up.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Either you're down for this anime's bizarre shitposting antics or you think it's the worst thing ever. There is no in-between.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit I did not expect this to turn into an Isekai that's not really Isekai because of time travel but it does actually explain a surprising amount and also just screws with Yukito more because that seems to be a main theme for this show.

I guess now it's God vs artificial Gods as Yukito and Mitama take on the Archons.
DanMatcha

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 6:38 pm Reply with quote
According to the Mangaka, the tractor scenes being live action footage was a deliberate choice by the director: https://twitter.com/akashiro_aoi/status/1651986964013547520.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 6:54 pm Reply with quote
DanMatcha wrote:
According to the Mangaka, the tractor scenes being live action footage was a deliberate choice by the director: https://twitter.com/akashiro_aoi/status/1651986964013547520.

Even if it is purposeful, it still looks like crap in the least interesting way possible.

More than anything, this episode felt like a reason to justify for the production committee to pay for Megumi Ogata for this boring-as-dirt villain. What a waste of talent.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
A lot of isekai shows that are not obsessed with magic fights do that. To name a few Bookworm, Spirit Chronicles (Japan arc farming techniques and food), Log Horizon (applying real world designs to that worlds logic, including steam engines), That farm isekai where his power turns into any farming tool, Realist Hero (crop rotation, waste management, governence, social services) and every single one of those isekai where the hero wows his companions with how soy sauce is superior to all the bland tastes they had previously.

The problem I have with isekai that do this is that they rarely take on the side effects of suddenly introducing new tech like that, there is always a period of "stabilization" in society each time a revolutionary new tech is introduced.

Just imagínate what would happen if somebody from the 24th century arrived today and introduced Star Trek replicators, the whole world economy would collapse.

There is this isekai I read (for cultured reasons) about a guy with minecraft powers the guy is creating a monster town, and he gives the population goddamn M16s and grenades, give me a break.

The only series I have seen that do it are Bookworm and Maoyuu... and Maoyuu it's NOT an isekai, it just has a really smart character that invents free market, crop rotation, etc. But the thing takes its time to show the adverse side effects of suddenly doing so in a medieval society.
Dumas1

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I feel like the original Star Trek has done more than one episode with the same basic premise of this big twist, and each of them was better. Or maybe I could compare it to the dullest imaginable MegaTen knockoff with a protagonist who is somehow less interesting than a mute guy who keeps bumping into walls in search of hidden doors.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Dumas1 wrote:
I feel like the original Star Trek has done more than one episode with the same basic premise of this big twist, and each of them was better. Or maybe I could compare it to the dullest imaginable MegaTen knockoff with a protagonist who is somehow less interesting than a mute guy who keeps bumping into walls in search of hidden doors.

I mean, isekai writing talent generally sits around "make TNG S1 look like a masterpiece" level, aka discovery, so it's a bit unfair to compare it to good ST, how about they start by reaching TNG movie level first?

As for show that did try the "introduce technology" bookworm was saddled with a main character that thoroughly didn't care about the rest of the world, and probably wasn't quite smart enough to introduce technology anyway so it never really did anything with it. So, somehow, introducing an invention that's routinely considered to be the most important tin humanity history barely changed anything. And anyway that was discarded for the usual "protagonist has super power" storyline. Log horizhon really didn't do that much with it, it was just kinda in the background (unless they do more in S3, but S2 was such a trainwreck that I never made it very far). And most other are just... so bad I never stuck long with them, so maybe one of them tackle this really well, but I somehow doubt it. (Maoyuu, not an isekai and I feel like the anime must have really rushed the LN content because nothing in that show made much sense.)
SkyLETV34

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 1:14 am Reply with quote
Man, what a twist! This show just keeps getting better.

By the way, watching Clen walk in front of the filtered real-life farming scene was hilarious. You can even see him walking in the background lmao. Brilliant. I also loved how while Loki was doing her monologue, Mitama got electrocuted and flew away without anyone paying attention to her xD.
gamegodtre

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 6:26 am Reply with quote
@meiam"]

Have you read bookworm? Mynes mana is not the main focus of that book. Hell after book 9 she introduces well pumps, spreads the book making business to several giebes, creates shocks for carriages, invents trends using modern food among other fashion trends, and has effectively turned into harry potter when she enters the royal academy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6