• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action One Piece Series' 1st Trailer Unveils August 31 Netflix Premiere

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what else to say that has already been said, I just hope the end product will turn to be decent. I gotta admit it's pretty cool that for the Neutral Spanish dub trailer Luffy's live actor dubbed himself, while Nami is still being voiced by her usual dub actress, but interestingly Zoro is voiced by the actor who dubbed him in the original 4Kids version, Alfredo Basurto, instead of his actor from the uncut version, Dafnis Fernández. However, Basurto voiced Zoro again in the crossover between Toriko and Dragon Ball which premiered a few days ago, though I think he did it because Dafnis already voices Toriko
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:47 pm Reply with quote
It looks ok, I guess. I like the set designs, but Luffy is off. I don't blame them for changing him since Luffy would be very hard to pull off in live-action.

I will keep an open mind about it, but I still think One Piece shouldn't be in live-action
Artemis X

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:48 pm Reply with quote
andramus wrote:
Over the last few years I've tried to watch One Piece and I got up to around episode 90 or so - where Chopper joined the crew - and for whatever reason the series just doesn't hook me.

I feel like it could be a pacing issue and the fact it's a product of it's time but I don't seem to have as much of an issue with other popular anime that came out around the same time. Such as Bleach and Naruto. I revisited Bleach recently and still enjoyed it.

If this live action adaptation is reasonably faithful but also streamlines the story maybe some of the pacing issues I have will fall away and I'll actually enjoy this series more than the anime.

Well. one piece is a series where the core theme is centered around romantic adventure and the driving force of the main cast of characters. Much of the big story developments sort of take a back seat for a while so you have to go into this series expecting an episodic nature to it at least at first, before oda really starts getting to the major story beats. Naruto and Bleach on the other hand are a bit more narative driven, they follow single paticular story with a specific set of characters and an antagonistic entity that has more of an overarching impact on the story as whole.

ONe piece eventually gets to this point where there are so many moving pieces all seamelly interwoven into one major plot, but it starts off rather slower and focuses more on the simple nature of traveling the sea's and exploring all of these islands and the focus really is really the world building and the straw hats involvement with liberating a country from there struggles and conflict. This will be a prodominant theme for the much of the story how ever later, its not just centered around the SW crew, there is many more players that enter the field and eventually there will be much greater set piece moments that have ground breaking repucussions. Its quite an interesting story if you stick with it.
Boy Howdy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Yknow what? This is fine. I’m glad it’s happening. If you don’t try, you won’t know, so why not.
OH&S

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:51 pm Reply with quote
It's fine. Sets and locations look great. Most of the characters look great barring Nami's hair. CGI is 50-50: the Lord of the Coast looks great; stretching looks questionable.

Honestly, as long as your incoming expectations were tempered (as they should be even when starting the manga), then this trailer is acceptable without any glaring issues. So it passed its first test.
Boy Howdy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:54 pm Reply with quote
OH&S wrote:
It's fine. Sets and locations look great. Most of the characters look great barring Nami's hair. CGI is 50-50: the Lord of the Coast looks great; stretching looks questionable.

Honestly, as long as your incoming expectations were tempered (as they should be even when starting the manga), then this trailer is acceptable without any glaring issues. So it passed its first test.

You know maybe this is a little off topic but I’ve stopped caring about the quality of cgi. Yeah sure love when it’s good but it’s also very hard and a lot of work and people don’t get paid enough as it is.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:56 pm Reply with quote
This seems... okay? Might be the most accurate costumes we've seen for a western adaption of a Japanese property at - almost to a fault, since Nami is blatantly wearing a wig though it looks a bit better later in the trailer. Mildly interesting that Luffy doesn't have his scar, but even the anime danced around how he got it for years. It doesn't look amazing, but doesn't look terrible either. Better vibes than Cowboy Bebop, though that bar is on the ground.

That little bit at the end with Luffy and Zoro - it'd be amusing if Zoro started calling out his attacks because Luffy rubbed off on him.
Mushrinku

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:58 pm Reply with quote
looks awful and will 100% get cancelled.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Looks better than what I was expecting I must admit, though my expectations were pretty much rock bottom lol

Well, they're still low, but I'll hope for the best for those who are interested in it.

db999 wrote:
It looks decent. I think the sets look really fantastic, and most of the characters look good, I don’t like the way they do Nami’s hair though.

Yeah, it looks like it's dyed (in world) and her roots are showing, but it could have just been the lighting. Zoro's looks good imo for comparison.

Luffy also seems to have a slight lisp? Not sure if this is intentional, or the actor, but it definitely sounded odd. Maybe it was just the cuts? *shrug*
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:13 pm Reply with quote
ICO44 wrote:
Heck they still haven't succeed in making good live action version of Disney movies, let alone One Piece.

Some of those Disney movies have been financially successful hence why they keep making them

Mushrinku wrote:
looks awful and will 100% get cancelled.

Wouldn’t be the first time a One Piece series got cancelled or pulled off a schedule of some sort.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Y'know I actually kind of like how Luffy is portrayed. Zoro seemed good too. Nami seemed out of place.
zekro94

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
This seems... okay? Might be the most accurate costumes we've seen for a western adaption of a Japanese property at - almost to a fault, since Nami is blatantly wearing a wig though it looks a bit better later in the trailer. Mildly interesting that Luffy doesn't have his scar, but even the anime danced around how he got it for years. It doesn't look amazing, but doesn't look terrible either. Better vibes than Cowboy Bebop, though that bar is on the ground.

He does have his scar but since in real life scars are not that visible it's hard to see. You can see it in the thumbnail and also in the trailer however it's not easy to spot once he moves or if there's a zoom out
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:56 pm Reply with quote
As somebody who had to stop reading OP for health reasons... this did nothing for me.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Not great...

Not terrible...

I dunno... Best of luck, I guess...

Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6