• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:33 am Reply with quote
Nadia is one of those iconic series where I know the name and the characters, but still haven't seen it and this review even reminded me that it's a series and not just a film. Like James, I've also gone this long without really knowing any spoilers or deep story beats. I'll get to it eventually!
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:18 am Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Nadia is one of those iconic series where I know the name and the characters, but still haven't seen it and this review even reminded me that it's a series and not just a film. Like James, I've also gone this long without really knowing any spoilers or deep story beats. I'll get to it eventually!

For a long time it held my position for "favorite OP to an anime I've never actually seen".

Not sure what that'd be now. Digimon Adventure, maybe?
STEVEM#946841

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:03 pm Reply with quote
That Nadia was extended later on is not true at all,
Anno was burned out after ep 22 and had to recover so Higuchi came in,
https://web.archive.org/web/20180314042321/http://www.mangauk.com:80/the-world-of-hideaki-anno
The reason Korea took on those middle episodes is because Gainax could really only handle about 2 cors worth of eps on their own, before they collapsed so those eps had to be deferred.
There's also a couple Korean interviews where staff say yeah there was always 39 eps and as said in the mangauk interview nhk gave them the outline and scripts in the first place in full.
https://forum.evageeks.org/post/937062/Nadia-The-Secret-of-Blue-Water/#937062
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:50 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Was the island arc where Nadia and Jean became like a married couple? Barbecue I actually liked that part.

It's also the arc that gave us the spoiler[Thunderbirds parody scene], still one of my favourite moments of the series.

I feel like the Nadia island arc is one of those "classic anime episode/arcs everyone told me is terrible that I actually enjoy". Kinda like that Sailor Moon R island episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fluwm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:26 pm Reply with quote
This is one of those classics that just passed me by. I did finally get the BRD a couple months ago... haven't watched it yet, but I'm glad to see so many folks still think highly of it.
KlarkKentThe3rd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:10 pm Reply with quote
STEVEM#946841 wrote:

There's also a couple Korean interviews where staff say yeah there was always 39 eps and as said in the mangauk interview nhk gave them the outline and scripts in the first place in full.

Thank you, I always love myself some SAUCE. I did not know that.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:37 pm Reply with quote
KlarkKentThe3rd wrote:
STEVEM#946841 wrote:

Thank you, I always love myself some SAUCE. I did not know that.

This is really cool to learn, thank you!
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Nadia was probably one of the earliest shows I watched when I entered the rabbit hole; I had begun my journey with Evangelion and was intrigued enough that I wanted to see what else artists like Hideaki Anno, Shiro Sagisu, and the general crew at Gainax had been involved with. At the time, someone had uploaded the entirety of Nadia's Monster Island English dub to YouTube, so it was a very convenient access point when I was still unfamiliar with the anime realm.
While Nadia definitely felt like it was aiming for a younger audience than Evangelion at times, I could also tell it wasn't pulling its punches in the more serious moments, and it was neat to see certain traits in storytelling, aesthetics, and characterization that were paving the way to Evangelion from prior influences like Miyazaki and tidbits of tokusatsu.
I've never actually gone back and revisited the series, despite having purchased it while Sentai Filmworks had the license. Now that I've got the GKIDS release also waiting on my shelf, I should really review it with fresh eyes again.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Nadia was probably one of the earliest shows I watched when I entered the rabbit hole; I had begun my journey with Evangelion and was intrigued enough that I wanted to see what else artists like Hideaki Anno, Shiro Sagisu, and the general crew at Gainax had been involved with. At the time, someone had uploaded the entirety of Nadia's Monster Island English dub to YouTube, so it was a very convenient access point when I was still unfamiliar with the anime realm.
While Nadia definitely felt like it was aiming for a younger audience than Evangelion at times, I could also tell it wasn't pulling its punches in the more serious moments, and it was neat to see certain traits in storytelling, aesthetics, and characterization that were paving the way to Evangelion from prior influences like Miyazaki and tidbits of tokusatsu.
I've never actually gone back and revisited the series, despite having purchased it while Sentai Filmworks had the license. Now that I've got the GKIDS release also waiting on my shelf, I should really review it with fresh eyes again.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

It's also the arc that gave us the spoiler[Thunderbirds parody scene], still one of my favourite moments of the series.

I feel like the Nadia island arc is one of those "classic anime episode/arcs everyone told me is terrible that I actually enjoy". Kinda like that Sailor Moon R island episode.
I've never watched the filler in arc fully but I always bust my gut laughing at the clip of Jean's song where he's singing badly while roasting Nadia Anime hyper
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The English dub for Nadia is also pretty fantastic and ADV did an amazing job with the cast..

I agree with this. I love the dub of Nadia, and to this day I swear it's very underrated. I actually met the dub director, Charlie Campbell at AnimeNEXT this year. He was more than happy to chat with me about the show and the dub. He's very proud of it today, and rightly so. As far as I'm concerned, the ADV dub, while unfairly maligned by few online at the time, stands the test of time well. Campbell, by the way, is a very warm, generous man, and I was so glad to meet him, as the dub IS one of my favorites. Uneven accents aside, the actors really brought a lot of life to their roles in a way that the Japanese VAs didn't.

Also, the less said about those hideous filler episodes, the better. Even Campbell found them to be a drag. I just can't stand these episodes; and to me whatever "character development" happens there, well, most of it, is either ignored in the last five episodes of the show, because it felt like derailment to me. I can never watch those episodes again knowing how much they disappointed me so badly the first time I saw them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2