• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Polygon Pictures Reveals Spider-Man: Freshman Year Animated Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
DamianSalazar wrote:
But it's been almost three years since the 2017 animated series that aired on Disney X D ended, and this upcoming one which is loosely based on the MCU Spidey isn't coming out until 2024. That's a respectable cool-down imho.

Still, rebooting the series every couple of years is still a big turnaround imo. I know it’s kind of the comic book way, but it’s starting to feel tiresome and formulaic. Makes me wonder what the point of Marvel’s Spider-Man was. If they wanted an MCU Spider-Man series that would’ve been the time to do it, when interest was at its peak.

Marvel Studios didn't have control over any of the TV series. Those were overseen by Marvel Television and Marvel Animation. Two entirely different companies that were divisions of Marvel Entertainment, a company that Marvel Studios initially was a division of prior to the Disney acquisition. Then in 2015, Marvel Studios stopped being a division of Marvel Entertainment, and became a subsidiary of Disney Films

Both Marvel Television and Marvel Animation's TV series were influenced by the MCU, but are what you might consider as spin-off content to it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:31 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
There hasn´t been a good Spider-man cartoon since 2009 and Spectacular is the only actually good Spider-man cartoon on top of that. One of the less than 10 good Marvel cartoon shows at that. The MCU itself already underdelivered with What If…? so we need more more MORE Marvel animation. Not less

I’m surprised people want more considering how oversaturated the MCU is becoming and this seemingly would mean more stuff like all the Animax & Madhouse stuff that people were skittish about

residentgrigo wrote:
Insane that DC is the only comics publisher to have a stable animation output for varied demographics with an eye for quality control.

Are we talking about in general or simply for the modern era?

Cause their history either way is pretty shaky.

WoodDude wrote:
15, actually.

I was going off the end date instead of the start date.

WoodDude wrote:
Didn't care for the art style or the changes made.

Yeah the character designs among everything else were pretty weird looking don’t know why in particular it was necessary to give Peter a mole and when no other version prior had one.

WoodDude wrote:
D Speaking of which, this is Polygon so I assume it'll be CG? Meh. Don't have high hopes for superhero cartoons these days with their reliance on movie-universe synergy

To be fair especially with Spider-Man they’ve also added some comic book related stuff even if the stuff in question was no longer applicable like Peter & Mary Jane being a couple cause god forbid you use any of Peter’s other love interest like Gwen Stacy or even Felicia Hardy who always gets aged up for some reason.

Or Peter habitually being broke even as a high schooler.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I've seen plenty of shows and movies made by Polygon Pictures and their animation quality varies depending on the production, but I still think they're a good studio. I just think cel-shaded CG anime still has a long way until it looks like a 2D work.
Regarding Spider-Man, it wouldn't be the first Spidey show made in CGI, back in the early 2000s there was a Spider-Man show made by MTV which took place in an alternate continuity from the Raimi movies and it was animated in CGI by Rainmaker Studios, the same studio who did ReBoot, Beast Wars and the Money for Nothing music video, and it actually looks pretty good even to this day, I think it helps they made in a cel-shaded style
Just hope the story is good, don't think this will be connected to the MCU
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
Still, rebooting the series every couple of years is still a big turnaround imo. I know it’s kind of the comic book way, but it’s starting to feel tiresome and formulaic. Makes me wonder what the point of Marvel’s Spider-Man was. If they wanted an MCU Spider-Man series that would’ve been the time to do it, when interest was at its peak.

This isn't really the "comic book way." DC's done regular soft and hard reboots over the years, but Marvel's remained relatively consistent in comparison. It's more an expectation of modern movies, probably most obvious when you look at James Bond. We had roughly 40 years of a loosely connected story where the main character changed actors every few movies, and comic book movies looked to be following suit, with Batman Forever and Batman and Robin.

But then we got Batman Begins, and Superman Returns failed. And James Bond decided to follow suit and reboot the series with Daniel Craig in the main role, and seemed to be aiming to tell a complete story about this Bond in particular. And then Raimi, McGuire, etc. left the current Spider Man series, and Sony had to create a new movie to keep the rights, so...why not follow what was working at the time?

I digress, but my point is it's less comic books and more a trend in Hollywood that has since spread out to general media. Reboots are just the "in" thing to do.
|comicchaser|

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:18 am Reply with quote
So it's gonna look like complete ass. Got it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:50 am Reply with quote
|comicchaser| wrote:

Simply being CG doesn’t mean it’ll be bad it depends on how much budget and work is put into the animation.
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:00 am Reply with quote
|comicchaser| wrote:

polygon are good imo
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:56 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Even if Polygon Pictures animates it, does that make it count as anime compared to their animation on other shows like Transformers: Prime? Is ANN now contractually obligated to talk about this show?

ANN announced them animating Star Wars Resistance but I don't recall a single article about the show itself ever being put out. I doubt they'll be putting out anything related to this series just because a Japanese studio is animating it. But since it's a Japanese studio they're just pointing it out.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:18 am Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
MFrontier wrote:
Even if Polygon Pictures animates it, does that make it count as anime compared to their animation on other shows like Transformers: Prime? Is ANN now contractually obligated to talk about this show?

ANN announced them animating Star Wars Resistance but I don't recall a single article about the show itself ever being put out. I doubt they'll be putting out anything related to this series just because a Japanese studio is animating it. But since it's a Japanese studio they're just pointing it out.

ANN did post several more articles about Star Wars Resistance:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-08-18/star-wars-resistance-animated-series-trailer-reveals-october-7-premiere/.135610
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-08-30/star-wars-resistance-animated-series-video-details-main-characters/.136138
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-09-14/star-wars-resistance-animated-series-video-highlights-team-aces/.136820
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-09-17/polygon-pictures-wins-1st-saturn-award-with-star-wars-resistance-animated-series/.151226
wwww.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-08-06/polygon-pictures-star-wars-resistance-series-nominated-for-emmy-for-2nd-year/.162614
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2